News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: are death company worth the points compared to assault marines  (Read 3576 times)

Offline adz594

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
if i had 5 death company with jump packs it costs 180pts (i think going off my memory)
however a 5 man assault squad is 100pts.

so was wondering if it was worth spending that little more on pts or to go with almost double the assault marines.
as you might have guessed i collect blood angels but havn't had many battles to try all the troop choices out, and when i ask for advice off my friend who collects ultra marines he always tells me there not worth it but not sure if thats cause he don't have them so doesn't trust them??

cheers

adam

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: are death company worth the points compared to assault marines
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
Hell to the yes are they worth it, mate. Between Furious Charge and FNP you're looking at a wrecking-ball unit that's more or less immune to small arms fire and normal CCWs, while more than capable of delivering some epic pain to whatever they run into. Go to the Dark Eldar board and ask them what happens to a unit of Wyches (or Bloodbrides/Wracks for that matter) that gets two pain tokens, because that is what I see when I look at the Death Company. Also note the higher WS.

Your friend is basically running scared of them, and trying to put himself at an advantage by discouraging you from using them.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »
Death company are well worth their points as they are super killy.

The problem you've come across is that deathcomany pay a ridiculous price for their jump packs making them nearly as expensive as a terminator. Death company are best used in a transport (raven or raider is best) and leave the JP's at home, hell the cost of 2.5 JP's buys you a rhino.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #3 on: August 8, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
OK here is the opinion of a none blood angel player.  They are the unit I fear and will go out of my way to make sure I charge them due to they are just too go on the charge.  As for the jump pack versus on foot if they have a transport I think they will be fine but jumping twelve and charge 6 off of one of the best assault units in the game.( one of the best don't need the well this unit is better debates here just my opinion  here) 

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
I play blood angels and the only thing I run into if I ever run death company is that they get dealt with quite quickly. People don't like to deal with the hornets nest that they are and will use whatever means necessary to remove them from the game and then try to recoup afterwards. So I find it's best to expect them to be a large target but when they are able to get into assault they do a very good job so don't hold back with them. Put a chaplain with them or if your going jump pack pay for lemartes and get them down the field as fast as possible.
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
You are thinking too much in a bubble. For one, it is quite worthless to take small 5-man units of either in my opinions (with jump packs, assault weapon and Searg). You have to consider the grand scheme of your army and what each unit is and does. DC are not a scoring unit and while they are a troop choice, should not be thought of one. Assault marines are a scoring unit and are basically just a standard marine that moves farther. DC have quite a lot extra with their point cost. DC are a much more killy and an "elite" unit compared to assault marines and are used differently. Comparing what a proper unit of DC do to a proper unit of assault marines is like apples to oranges. Both fruits, but different things. If you are trying to decide between the two, your list is having quite a bit of balancing issues.

DC are a hammer unit like termies and should be used as such. Assault marines a core unit, and a troop unit. Neither can really replace the other.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
From a simple codex reader's perspective, I might add that those for the same price as those death company, you can actually have:

(105) 5 Assault Marines, flamer, jump packs
(75) Sanguinary Priest, jump pack

They now only lack the increased weapon skill and the extra benefit from having a chaplain (Which is normally an 100pt investment) but they don't have rage, and can also get meltaguns to deal with tanks on the turn they deep strike with descent of angels.

All analysis, no playesting behind this, but I think sanguinary priests are also valuable to more than 1 unit.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
From a simple codex reader's perspective, I might add that those for the same price as those death company, you can actually have:

They now only lack the increased weapon skill and the extra benefit from having a chaplain (Which is normally an 100pt investment) but they don't have rage, and can also get meltaguns to deal with tanks on the turn they deep strike with descent of angels.

All analysis, no playesting behind this, but I think sanguinary priests are also valuable to more than 1 unit.

All valid points. Also consider DC retain FnP and FC without the need for an IC which can be picked out easily in combat. DC can get everything they need and only give one kill point. To make assault marines do the same you are throwing down three kill points.

I just want to reiterate that if you are making a proper and balanced list there shouldn't be a choice between assault marines or DC as one can not replace the other.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »

All valid points. Also consider DC retain FnP and FC without the need for an IC which can be picked out easily in combat. DC can get everything they need and only give one kill point. To make assault marines do the same you are throwing down three kill points.

Want to add to this that DC also have x A more, have a nice rule that (f you put bolters on them) gives them ability to fire them effectively.
You can also make them Deathstar units, so their negative special rule won't effect what you attack.

Plus you can go with different wargear on each model, making wound allocation great for you ;)
« Last Edit: August 8, 2011, 11:47:13 PM by Zilverscale »

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!