News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Please comment on my 1750 pt army list  (Read 986 times)

Offline Free

• Mind over matter
  • Armies: Tyranids
Please comment on my 1750 pt army list
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

Many years ago I played a lot of 40K but mostly Space Marines at the time. I've had a bit of a break but now I'm getting back into the hobby and for some reason I'm drawn to the Tyranids. Im a competitive guy so I will not just play... I want a fair chance at winning so please give me some good feedback and advice. :-)

This is what Im thinking:

HQ
Hive Tyrant, w/ Scything Talons
- Wings
- Hive Commander
- Old Adversary

ELITES
2x Zoanthropes in Mycetic Spore
2x Hive Guard
The Doom of Malan'tai in Mycetic Spore

TROOPS
20x Termagants

Tervigon
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacs
- Catalyst

8x Genestealers
- one upgraded to broodlord
- Scything talons for the broodlord

8x Genestealers
- one upgraded to broodlord
- Scything talons for the broodlord

FAST ATTACK
14x Gargoyle brood
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacks

14x Gargoyle brood
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacks

HEAVY SUPPORT
Trygon prime

I am buying and painting right now so I haven't played with this (or any other Tyranid army) yet. But Im thinking the strategy is to either put everything in reserve or field the Termagants, guards and Tervigon as a main force with Hive Tyrants and Gargoyle shield as a fast attack unit. The rest would rush in when available.

Thanks for any help!

Free
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:35:44 AM by Free »

Offline Anglachel

• The only possible war is gaming
Re: Please comment on my 1750 pt army list
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
Has the Hive Tyrant Scything Talos & Bone Sword+Lash Whip or 2 pairs of S.Talons? With it you will hit almost everything in the game at 3+ and if 2xST, reroll 1 & 2 results, with only a pair you reroll only the 1s, but the whip is good vs DE and Eldar and high Initiative opponents. The only thing is that together with Old Adversary the whole is a bit redundant, so you can well give the Tyrant one shooting weapon! And is also very important the combination of Psi-Power you choose (usually the best are Paroxysm and Psychic Leech). As a MC, the Tyrant would well use its shooting wp + 1 Shooting Psi-Power!
Also, with your actual combination, I think you will make Outflank the Termagants or the Tervigon (Hive Commander ability) and this can be a problem in two ways: 1 the Tervigon will not spawn if it Outflanks (actually starting its turn outside the table) so it will be alone; 2 the Termagants will Outflank but they can be easely out of Sinaptic Range. So, maybe, you can choose another suicide Unit of Troop to Outflank, like Hormagaunts, drop one squad of Genestealers, drop the TS and AG for the Gargoyles, and give some advance to the Trygon (see how many point you save, but usually upgrade to Trygon Prime to give more SYnapse range in DS actions).
Keep the Termagants around the Tervigon to benefit from TS and AG, and Outflank with a strong unit of Hormagaunts that have also Fleet and are more long reaching than Termagants!