News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Initial Impressions of our new Tau Empire  (Read 8936 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Initial Impressions of our new Tau Empire
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
Finally got my hands on the book. My only real regret is the absence of vehicle target locks and the absence of target locks on Marker Drones. In the past I spent a lot of time splitting fire to get the most efficient spread of damage/markerlights for the widest array of targets, but now I'm going to have to clump up like a chump.

Still, the rest of the book is a massive improvement and very exciting. I can't wait to try out a wide variety of dirty tricks!

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 12:58:31 AM »
I don't think there is really any randomness in there at all!? (other than all the dice rolling... of course!) We even get to choose if we want to risk a gets hot (or nova charge) roll or not. That is not randomness... that is an open option!

Even the Ethereal abilities are chosen... each turn... he's like an Eldar Farseer... but without any randomness what so ever! Hitting on them, Ethereals are incredibly useful. I decided at the last minute to include one in my army (when my opponent didn't have any air defence) and boy was I pleasantly surprised! an extra shot for ALL pulse weapons within 12" is incredibly powerful when you drop an ethereal off in a Fish of Fury attack!

Oh no. That's all good, and thank god I'm glad we didn't get any of that.

What I was previously saying was that there's all this random new wargear in Support Systems/Signature Systems/Tank Systems that I really don't see being useful. It's sorta fatty, yeah?
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
I generally agree about a lot of the signature and support systems. Some are good, but some are a little too situational to be regularly useful. The real obvious winners are the Early Warning Override, Velocity Tracker, and the Puretide Engram Neurochip, all of which are pretty awesome. I think there's a case to be made for an assassin team with Advanced Targeting System, but that would only work against certain armies. Most of the vehicle upgrades are a bit lame, but not actively bad. 

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
Anyone else notice that the Onager Gauntlet is essential a Falcon Punch?

Falcon Punch

I might take that just so I can scream "FALCOOOOOOON PUNCH!" in a public place.

It might also be good for challenges.  Doubtful, but it'll be fun while it lasts! :D
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
Yea all the support systems are good if situational.  I see it as a further way to customize the suits to fit their role.  They are all useful but just depends on the situation really.

And and yea I totally thought falcon punch first time I saw the onager gauntlet.

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
Finally got my hands on the book. My only real regret is the absence of vehicle target locks and the absence of target locks on Marker Drones.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  Also, Target Array is gone entirely and so is Multitracker from vehicles.  Many wargear buffs for shooting are gone.  I believe this is because the markerlight and markerlight cascading are the go-to options for Tau now, moreso than ever before.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »
There are only a few vehicles that lose out at not having a targetting array - bearing in mind that the hammerhead and sky ray all now come with an in built BS4. Really its only the piranha and the warfish set up (as it was never worth taking the TA on a regular devilfish).

Losing the multi tracker is annoying as it has a much bigger effect on how to play your vehicles now Ive noticed. Yea, you can snap shot your secondary systems but this has really lowered the impact of our heavies. Especially when its combined with the loss of the target lock.

However, the addition of the overwatch upgrade does point towards a new way to use our vehicles. One where the troops and vehicles stick closely together, moving a bit, and then firing but all the times providing mutual cover for each other and setting up a devastating killing zone for assaulters.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
As I'm one of the only people I know of who take Piranha in numbers, I am personally miffed by the loss, but it's not such a big deal (they got a massive price cut, so fair is fair). The Target Lock is what I was talking about above. Being able to split fire on Skyrays and Hammerheads was a key advantage. To some extent it is replaced by the possibility to provide overwatch, but not entirely.

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
To some extent it is replaced by the possibility to provide overwatch, but not entirely.

I'm actually not too keen on the tank overwatch gig. You're paying points to, most of the time, not achieve anything. Unfortunately, overwatch isn't as effective as people are saying it is, and adding or taking a few shots usually isn't too great of a difference.
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 03:08:15 AM »
On its own in isolated circumstances it is not very effective but in combination with markerlights you can effectively get a whole additional turn of regular shooting in.

Remember that markerlights are now allowed to boost the bs of snap shots, so if you can get those to hit then you can make your other shots far more effective.

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
On its own in isolated circumstances it is not very effective but in combination with markerlights you can effectively get a whole additional turn of regular shooting in.

Remember that markerlights are now allowed to boost the bs of snap shots, so if you can get those to hit then you can make your other shots far more effective.

I've noticed that as well.  Sniper teams, marker drone squads, Skyrays, and Pathfinders, all come with or can get supporting fire, so getting those markerlights in the overwatch snap shot "shooting phase" is possible.  The only trick is getting those first "6's" to hit to initiate a successful markerlight cascade.  But that's a whole lot of markerlights that needs to be popped off in the first volley to that cascade rolling.

Another item of note is the amount of twin linked weapons Tau gets.  The new FAQ loads up Crisis Suits with twin linked goodness now.  SMS comes twin linked on every platform that can take it.  Gun drones are twin linked awesome sauce.  And Broadsides can take twin linked high yield missile pods.  Twin linked can go a long way for mass firing during snap shots and overwatch shots.  Throw in a markerlight or two, and all those twin linked shots will be a bad hurt for the enemy.

I'm starting to see a use of a Broadsides missile battery w/ Early Warning Override as a decent counter to enemy air.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers for the Forgeworld Taros/Tau update.  Tetras w/ Point Defence Targeting Relays.   8).  Now we're talking.

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
(...)Sniper teams(...)

Which reminds me... Snipers overwatching. Heh...

Point of interest around this: when overwatching w/ networked markerlightes (the spotter guy), you, as per normal shooting, do this first, so then any further overwatch (sniper drones) can use the networked markerlights to increase their overwatch BS. True or False?

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »
(...)Sniper teams(...)

Which reminds me... Snipers overwatching. Heh...

Point of interest around this: when overwatching w/ networked markerlightes (the spotter guy), you, as per normal shooting, do this first, so then any further overwatch (sniper drones) can use the networked markerlights to increase their overwatch BS. True or False?

The Marksman's markerlight is not networked any more.

Offline Darkstrider

• Armies: Tau, SW, DE, Necrons
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
Sniper teams are amazing in overwatch when you have an ethereal because they have a pulse weapon so at 24" you get 3 shots per drone each with the potential to pin a charging enemy.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
Sniper teams are amazing in overwatch when you have an ethereal because they have a pulse weapon so at 24" you get 3 shots per drone each with the potential to pin a charging enemy.

Pinning has no effect in the assault phase. You cannot pin a charging enemy.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
doesn't ethereal rule state plus one shot in the shooting phase and over watch occurs in the assault phase?
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
doesn't ethereal rule state plus one shot in the shooting phase and over watch occurs in the assault phase?

Take another look at the Ethereal rule on page 35, Invocation of the Elements and thus Storm of Fire is better than you may think.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »
Yea storm of fire+supporting fire=lots of dakka.  And also the ability to throw buckets of dice at your opponent.