News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Go Big or Go Home Competition  (Read 25871 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Go Big or Go Home Competition
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »
Go Big or Go Home Competition

Boss:  So are we all ready for battle?  You do realize that this is ORKTOBER the best month in the world to be GREEN. 

Weedy Git:  But boss most of us aren’t green we are gray.

Boss:  WHAT?  That is completely unheard of, how can you be representing the Boss when you are gray?

Weedy Git:  ???

There is no acceptable answer to this so with all my plotting and scheming I have decided to deploy the “Go Big or Go Home Competition”

This is an event to PROVE who is the greenest.   All those entering will be able to submit one unfinished or new model per category.   

The categories will be the Heavy Hitters and the Lightweights.

Categories
The Heavy Hitters:   This will consist of any superheavy or single apocalypse model.  This will include but is not limited to Stompas, battlefortresses, flyers, mega dreads, squiggoths, big traxx, you name it if it is in apocalypse and isn't a "boss type" model or formation it is fair game.

The Lightweights:  This will consist of any Boss, Mek, or special character.  Again this will be a single model. 

All entrants will be able to submit one and only one entry per category and their entries must be completed by Orktober 31st.

Entrants will be required to submit a starting point for their project.  If your project is new in box you must still post stating your entry and that it is NIB.  Your project does not have to have a certain percentage of GW parts and can be completely looted from your recycling bin if you so desire.

At the end of the event, your entry will be judged by our panel of Celebrity Judges.   
To be scored all entries will have to be posted up by the end of the month with the first line of text being “Final Entry” and pics of their finalized project.  This will eliminate any confusion for those of you who work fast and may finish your project early.   Judges will look at originality, quality of the work, uniqueness, and will score each model unbiasedly.  Remember this isn’t just a painting competition it is also a modeling competition as well. 

Entrants can post in-progress pics if they wish just make sure your Final Entry is noted accordingly.

Prizes
The following prizes will be awarded after voting is tallied. 

Superheavy / Lightweight

1st place in each category:  1 piece of kustom wargear to go along with your current rank (burna, big choppa, rokkit launcher, big shoota).   
2nd place:  25 teef

3rd place:  10 teef

All Completed submitted entries will earn 5 teef, and uncompleted but partically completed entries will earn 2 teef.  The goal here is to get you motivated to participate. 

At the end of the event we will post a “Peoples Choice Vote” in which everyone and anyone can vote on their favorite model per category.

People's Choice Winners:  10 teef per category.

Winner’s

Heavy Hitters
First Place: Respekt's Pulsa Rocket
Second Place: AOD 007's Stompa
Third Place: Athaga Mor's Blasta Bomba

Lightweights
First Place: Baron Wasteland's Mek
Second Place: The Nightwalker's Warboss and Skeetergod's Mek
Third Place: Log's Warboss

People's Choice Heavy Hitters
AOD's Stompa
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=218308.0

People's Choice Light Weights
Baron Wasteland's Big Mek
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=218306.0
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:30:48 AM by angel of death 007 »

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Go Big or Go Home Competition
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
Celebrity Judges:
Changeyname
Andromidius
Tarrin
IainC
Grand Master Lomandalis
Dr_Ruminahui

Our celebrity judges come from all over the world and bring with them a lot of experience.  A special thanks goes to all of them for helping us out and lending us some expertise.

AoD’s Challenge:   It is time to prove that you are not a weedy git.  If atleast half of our members or more submit an entry in either category then I will speak to the powers that be about turning me into a squig for a month…   ah but there is a catch. 

All WotW members who do not participate will be forever entered on AoD’s Weedy Git list….   HA HA HA.   (posted below)

So if we can get 37.5 members or more to enter then you win the challenge.  All prospects and honorary greenskins will only be counted in your favor.  (prospects and honorary greenskins were not included in total members but will count if they sign up as one of the 37.5 entrants needed).

So round up your fellow greenskins and touch base with those orks you haven’t heard from in awhile if you want to win the challenge.  One model is not that hard to complete in a month. 

This isn’t called the “Go Big or Go Home Competition” for nothing.  So if I hurt anyone’s feelings, you can take a tissue and go back home to mamzy pansy land crying to your mommies that the big bad warboss hurt your feelings…..   

GREEN’S the BEST now time to show the Galaxy boyz…..  WAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHH HH

Orks Entered:
Log
Jack_Merridew
The Nightwalker
The Phoenix
OD from TV
Rayvn70
angel of death 007
Kogtoof
Chaos40kAD
AXEBLADE
Respekt
Skeetergod
Mekead
adamscurr
Saracenar
CheesyRobMan
Athaga Mor
Baron Wastelands

Weedy Gitz:
DropFall
DeathPepper
Azonalanthious
Teej
the_humble_terminat or
Chaplain Swordwind
incredibleskulk
JimmyHatfield
Khemri
Hekkastor
a2thak
Vanity Killer
Numinak
IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)
phxren
Mad Dok Brown
croggy
NewHeretic
The Harbinger
darkreaperexarch13
Quasarcq
Massaen
Unite All Action Your Cultist!
Doopsie
Plague Tower of Nurgle
The Gretchin
Yeller Dizapline
Minsc
Markay
typhon
Zilverscale
DaBadMoon
muffinman331
starstrider
Leocuta
m3talh3llth
Zangolas
Zognutz
hinga
waterbat
Trevor Drake
LordKriegan
the.wordless
dusthawk
Yessum
Mercutioh
Emperors Fists
Zefyron
Wartooth
SoS Grant
Orks4Life
Boss Thudfoot
Saint_Lane
tactica
Krud Hole
Higsby
Warboss druzzil
de are mean
AcousticBanditx
pheonix lord slinjak
nawari
Koval, Archmagos Errant 
Galadian122
Admiral Dred
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:31:27 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Count me in!

Just to clarify though, we have the choice to enter just one? But we can enter both if we would like?

Cheers!

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
yep, I have a huge bitz box so I'll at least get a lightweight in.

Thought just crossed my mind.  Do our super heavies have to be apoc vehicles?  Can we design a brand new vehicle from scratch and just say what it is?  Or should we try to be fairly close to in game vehicles?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:09:04 PM by Jack_Merridew »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Oi gitz!

Sorry, heard that was an appropriate orky greeting somewhere.  Just wanted to swing by and give a shout you the guys who are probably going to be taking up a lot of my time as I have faith that a lot of you xenos have the skill to dish out some amazing models, because really... what is the point of playing da boyz if you don't orky that amphetamine parrot up?

Best of luck to you all and may the best green skinned beast win! 

Oh, and for those of you that don't quite make the cut, we have a helpful Tactical squad at the ready with their holy Bolters primed ready to purge the unclean xeno.  For those that don't participate for AoD's challenge, don't worry... nothing a little Exterminatus can't fix!

Now I can't speak for the other judges, but if it makes you guys feel better when it comes to ranking  everyone will start at the same level and we will go from there.

So good luck again boyz!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Well I suppose I have that AOBR warboss, I will try to paint him up. Maybe use some bitz to add a little extra detail. Count me in :)

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
Sir, i accept your challenge!
count me in, at least for the lightweight catagory. Dont own any apoc stuff at the mo but i may have a rummage and see what i can come up with ;)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
Oi!  Whats dis about my name being on the Weedy Gits list?!  I can't have dat!

In all seriousness, this is a great Orktober event, to which the WotW needs to respond to.  I somehow doubt that this'll get the 37.5 participants, then again I didn't expect there to be 8 entrees into the Fixin Da Krooza campaign in 2 days.  So Boyz, prove me wrong and lets transform AoD into dat Squig!

At present I'm thinking of only putting an entree in the Lightweight category.  I know, weaksauce, but this month I'm running the Orktober campaign, working on my term paper, and have midterms.  Nevertheless I'm participatin!  What about you lot?  You gonna put something down, or are you going to go home like a weedy little git?

Peace
~OD

Post Script: the model I will be building is going to be a Special Character with his own background using the rules of Mek Boss Buzzgob from IA 8, (ref. pgs 123-125) and currently is NIB.
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
WEEDY GIT?!?!

I'm no weedy git, I just so happen to have a Stompa NIB I'll build prime and paint for this complete with weathering for the heavy and I'll do a mek for light wieghts

Weedy git...
Show you...
pfft...

so did gather some of the best of the best for judges though didn't you? That's a hard to impress panel, boss, but I will, trust me...

@Log you can can enter both, better that you do so you don't get labeled a git, much less a weedy git
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:21:16 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
Right, I've been playing around with my untouched Black Reach box and I've come up with something.

Mine is BNIB and figers crossed it will be worthy of my first competition entry and not just a complete mess! Anyone know a better way of cutting through thick plastic cleanly? I'm currently thinking my jigsaw for lack of better options!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »
Wow good to see the boyz coming out of hiding and proving themselves.

I will be entering my Stompa in the Heavy Hitters and my FW Warboss on a bike for the Lightweights.

I mean I gotta lead by example right...

Thought just crossed my mind.  Do our super heavies have to be apoc vehicles?  Can we design a brand new vehicle from scratch and just say what it is?  Or should we try to be fairly close to in game vehicles?

I really don't know how to answer that correctly,  the heavy hitters isn't for a trukk or a battlewagon but if you wanted to enter say a junka, big traxx, or custom battle fortress those would all be acceptable.  You could also do the flakka dakka trukks like skeet did.  Since those you can only field in apocalypse as well.  You could also use the VDR rules if you wanted to do a custom vehicle which would suffice as well.

None of those battlewagons, trukks, or warbuggies though, save them for a rainy day.  If you wanna do a smaller vehicle I can imagine the judges will really want to be impressed by the konversion, considering you might be up against stompas or even a great gargant (I can dream right)

so did gather some of the best of the best for judges though didn't you? That's a hard to impress panel, boss, but I will, trust me...

Ah yes I was very happy with our turn out of judges.  I didn't even have to bribe them.  I know that many of you who frequent other forums would recognize them as well.

Anyone know a better way of cutting through thick plastic cleanly? I'm currently thinking my jigsaw for lack of better options!

Jigsaw might leave you with rough edges that you will have to file down.  When I cut thru thick plastic I usually use clippers.  Now if i am cutting thru a model and I don't want to damage the detail I try to get the sharpest edged blade I have and put it on a very solid surface that I don't mind damaging if I cut thru the model.  Then I attack it from both sides til I eventually cut thru it.  I know GW makes a bigger razor saw that people seem to like.

Count me in!

Just to clarify though, we have the choice to enter just one? But we can enter both if we would like?

You may enter one model in each category.  Or one model in either category.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
Where do we post progress shots, boss? This thread or you making a new one? I gots me an itchen to open than stompa box and soon

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
Iz no git, I accept your challenge. I just got a box of burnas so Ill have a mek to enter.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
Where do we post progress shots, boss? This thread or you making a new one? I gots me an itchen to open than stompa box and soon

Since this is a little bit of konversion, painting, and modeling combined, lets keep everything in this thread.  If it needs to be posted elsewhere we will be notified.
I somehow doubt that this'll get the 37.5 participants, then again I didn't expect there to be 8 entrees into the Fixin Da Krooza campaign in 2 days.  So Boyz, prove me wrong and lets transform AoD into dat Squig!

I have confidence in our group.  I think we can get 37.5 entries especially including our Prospects who wanna prove they are green.   And with all our new promotions,  I know they would love to have "say a nice burna" to go with their promotion.   And I know we have some really good painters amongst us who would like to prove they are the greenest....   You might be shocked in the end.

Challenges are supposed to be somewhat hard to achieve and what better way to motivate them then by turning myself into a squig.   Probably an angry squig that might go around eating the rest of the weedy gitz who didn't participate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:56:54 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »
Unnamed Big Mek boss
2 hours into Projekt...

Fairly standard so far.  The legs came from a Loota box (which was looted for bits), Nob torso and Iron Gob from standard Boyz kit, head and arms from the Nob mob kit (yes I broke down and got it, but only to loot interesting bits), and some early Plasticard work including a wrench bit & extended boots.

The boots need work, they look rather naff at the moment, going to fix the lame triangular bits and going to add more, perhaps a glyph plate on the foot if possible.  Debating on adding a more distinguishable Bosspole or counting the currently 1/2 constructed Big Choppa + the Iron Gob as the Bosspole.  Also not sure at the moment how I'm going to finish the Big Choppa, I know I want something Kustom for it, but after testing a Nid Scything Talon I know it won't be a Scythe.

Already have some crazy ideas flowing for the Mek harness, although I don't want it to look too much like Doctor Octopus or a Tech Marine, which does of course limit what I can envision versus what I can achieve.

Of course I also know that I can't make this too complex as my own time schedule won't permit too extensive of a build.  Shame I don't have magnets on hand, would like to be able to make this a multipurpose model.  But like Mick said, "you can't always get what you want."

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
Ok here is my starting point...

You might remember seeing the Stompa in the "Battle of the Bosses".  Where it made it's debut and it's psycho gattla turned Skeet's fire trukk convoy into a scrap yard.   Well I figured he won his right to wear some paint.  Also due to that battle he will be getting his psycho gattla painted gold because it was worth it's weight in gold in that battle, and at Skeet's request I also gotta paint graffetti on the bottom where his ork boyz tried to distract my stompa before being "stomped" to death. 

For those of you who weren't with us at the time of the Battle of the Bosses you can catch up on that mega game here:
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=216067.msg2630036#msg2630036

I am also adding my warboss on a bike.  Due to his great success at Ard Boyz this year he has definately earned himself a good paint job as well.

The stompa has it's arms and head magnatized, the crew, smoke stacks, and shoulder gun I never glued down for ease of painting later.  He also has some custom scaffolding on his backside which you will see better once I start painting it.  He is completely primed

The Warboss is a FW model that is assembled.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2011, 12:16:44 AM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Chaos40kAD

• Ork Boy
  • On wings of flame
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »
Oh what the hell, Count me in.   I'll W.I.P. up a Lightweight entry to appease Gork, or maybe Mork.  I just recently assembled and painted two more trukks and five more stormboyz .. :P  I guess a Custom dood wont hurt!

-Brett

Ok so This is about 30% of my Ork Bitz, and I'll be attempting to pull from them all.  I did however just get this last production of the metal warboss.. maybe ill try and put him on a bike or something.. dunno

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I did get a poorly assembled Defiler for 20$ at the LHS which I was thinking of "looting" into a striding boomwagon, but we'll see what happens there.. ;)

And yes, that's Badrukk in the right container .. I feel like a weedy git for not assembling and painting him yet... I should quit my job so I can play with more 40K!
« Last Edit: October 1, 2011, 12:34:25 AM by Chaos40kAD »
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Ben Franklin

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #17 on: October 1, 2011, 12:18:55 AM »
My stompa

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #18 on: October 1, 2011, 12:47:08 AM »
I have a half finished vehicle which I will be using as a skullhammer battle fortress in apocalypse games and a battlewagon with killkannon in normal games. It is made from 2 landraiders and a chimera chasis (origionally a basilisk but it needs a bigger gun).

Pics to follow

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #19 on: October 1, 2011, 04:33:09 AM »
ooooo I've been looking for motivation to scratch-build a pulsa rokkit; nothing like being called a weedy git to provide this motivation. That being said, I'd like to enter the heavy weights with my pulsa-rockitt and I might try to build a boss on a bike before the month is over as well. I'll post some pics after I get started tomorrow.
Cheers,

Respekt