News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Any advice for playing with Bloodbound?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Any advice for playing with Bloodbound?
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
I've played two games now against the Stormcast and I'm struggling to break through. Damn those dracothian guards are nasty!  :P

I've got the mighty Lord of Khorne, a Blood Secretor, a Blood Stoker, 8 Blood Warriors, 40 Blood Reavers and 2 Korgoraths. 

So far in two games my Lord has been struck down by turn two without inflicting a single hit.  He's going to be spawn if he keeps this up.  :P

The Reavers are actually the best performers so far.  If I use them right, and have the Secretor close by, they viciously rip through everything, even with heavy casualties.  The Warriors do well too, but they struggle to match the Reavers killing power.  The Korgoraths are doing OK, but heroes make short work of them.

I'm thinking of getting Skull Crushers.  I feel like I need Calvary of some discription to match those Dracothians.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Any advice for playing with Bloodbound?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »
I also find that Blood Reavers do a lot of work. Blood Warriors I've had good success with as well. Their ability to attack when they die means that they are always able to do damage.

Here are some of my thoughts after playing a bunch of games with Khorne.

I find the Khorne Lord is fine. He is really good for his command ability, but I've also found him to be lack luster in combat. He has a good save though, so if he's planted in terrain he can really hold the line with a 2+ save before rend modifiers.

Khorne Bloodbound has fairly average troops, which get better with buffs from other units. The blood Stoker and bloodsecrator are both worth their weight in ur-gold. I really want to get a slaughterpriest as well soon.

Wraithmongers are really good, especially if you throw them at something nasty that your opponent has. Whenever they die, they can make an enemy model attack it's self, or another unit. They also boost your attacks for nearby units.

Skull Crushers would be good too. The extra mortal wounds when they charge is fantastic, and the Khorne Lord on Juggernaught is one of the most tough heroes in the game (which is not a named character or a monster).

Skullreapers are also good. Able to deal a lot of mortal wounds with Daemon Blades.

Outside of bloodbound, other mortal Khorne units you might look into, are Warshrines and chaos spawn. Both are mortal and Khorne, so can be effected by everything in your army. Spawn are able to dish out a lot of attacks and can be quite speedy. The Warshrine gives a unit the ability to re-roll hits and also gives all nearby models a second save against wounds and mortal wounds.

Finally, Khorne daemons can be effected by the bloodsecrators banner, and skull cannons are fantastic fire support models.

What comp system do you play? And do you play battleplans?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
I also find that Blood Reavers do a lot of work. Blood Warriors I've had good success with as well. Their ability to attack when they die means that they are always able to do damage.

Yeah, I'm no expert but they both strike me as pretty solid units.  Considering what I've had to sent them up against, they're performing well.

I find the Khorne Lord is fine. He is really good for his command ability, but I've also found him to be lack luster in combat. He has a good save though, so if he's planted in terrain he can really hold the line with a 2+ save before rend modifiers.

A Khorne character that's lacklustre in combat isn't right.  He is more of a commander than a fighter.  I need to start sending in the grunts first before I commit him. 

Khorne Bloodbound has fairly average troops, which get better with buffs from other units. The blood Stoker and bloodsecrator are both worth their weight in ur-gold. I really want to get a slaughterpriest as well soon.

I completely agree, and I want one of the priests too.

Wraithmongers are really good, especially if you throw them at something nasty that your opponent has. Whenever they die, they can make an enemy model attack it's self, or another unit. They also boost your attacks for nearby units.

I'll add them to the list of to get.

Skull Crushers would be good too. The extra mortal wounds when they charge is fantastic, and the Khorne Lord on Juggernaught is one of the most tough heroes in the game (which is not a named character or a monster).

Great!  They're evil knights too, which is always a plus.

Skullreapers are also good. Able to deal a lot of mortal wounds with Daemon Blades.

Outside of bloodbound, other mortal Khorne units you might look into, are Warshrines and chaos spawn. Both are mortal and Khorne, so can be effected by everything in your army. Spawn are able to dish out a lot of attacks and can be quite speedy. The Warshrine gives a unit the ability to re-roll hits and also gives all nearby models a second save against wounds and mortal wounds.

Fantastic!  That save ability will come in handy with the amount of mortal wounds I have thrown my way.

Finally, Khorne daemons can be effected by the bloodsecrators banner, and skull cannons are fantastic fire support models.

That's great to know.  Speaking of demons, I was thinking of taking a demon prince and some blood letters and blood crushers and other Khorne demon units.  For fluff purposes, the prince is the evil overlord, and the demons are troops he can call upon in addition to his mortal followers.  I'm trying to build my army as if it was a lot of different Khorne factions united under the demon prince.  Very games of thronesey. 

What comp system do you play? And do you play battleplans?

We don't play a comp system or battleplans, as we're still learning.  But I think we really need to start using both.

Offline Thor0298

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:18:48 AM »
Wrathmonger a I've played against do well. Have you looked at a skull cannon st all?