News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Brushes  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Braunmi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Brushes
« on: December 6, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
What are a couple good named brushes for painting miniatures?  I have a couple local hobby stores and on GW store but the brushes they have are cheap and crap.  I have a large local craft store with a wide selection of brushes and I just don't know what brand to buy with what type of brissels.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Brushes
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
Winsor&nweton series 7, Rafael 8440 or 8470 or any other good kolinsky sable brush. If you are talking about local craft store loew-cornell golden taklon is ok but being synthetic they don't last long and require careful care to achieve even that. On a plus side - they are cheap. Much cheaper then a good sable brush.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »
winsor and newton value water colour brushes.

If your not a professional painter, and know the GW brushes are crap these brushed make the perfect stop gap between needing lasting brushes that are cheap, and high quality brushes that cost a forutne. My value series brushes will last me ages. You have to realy abouse them before you loose the point. and when you do loose the point you can grab another pack for £3. Only buy the sable brushes tho. they do a syntheic value brush pack thats aweful.

Offline Braunmi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
Sounds like Winsor/Newton Series 7 Sable are very good brushes and I am on my way to my local art store to check them out.  Question first, I am painting Orks, what sizes of brushes should I start with? 

Offline Apocalyp$e

• Fight the Future
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
Anything sable and especially "kolinsky sable" hair brushes... my best are the winsor & newton series 7 brushes which are made from kolinsky sabel

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
Personally, I like nylon brushes more than sable.  They seem to hold a tip against endless abuse, and hold the paint well, but clean out very easily.

Just my experience.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Tanuvein

• Ork Boy
  • Da weirdest boyz da bestest!
Need some brushes
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
Hey all, my brushes got rather frayed during my recent series of moves, and I need some more. Last time I overpayed for the expensive ones released by games workshop, and was hoping someone could point me torward a set of more reasonably priced fine brushes, and where to get them online.

Thanks
What can change the nature of a man?

It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Offline Todosi

Re: Need some brushes
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
Best brushes available at the best price available.  Get a Size 1 and a Size 0 and you should be set!

http://www.dickblick.com/zz050/02/

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: Need some brushes
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
If you wanted to get two brushes to do all your work, why would you get an 0 and a 1?    They're too close together in size.  If he were getting just two brushes I'd suggest an 00 and a 4 and that way you've got a fine detail and a larger area brush.  However to be honest if he thinks GW brushes are over-priced, Series 7 really isn't the way of the future.

As I say pretty much every time this discussion comes up, GW brushes tend not to be over priced, last well and have decent quality tips.  If you're paying less you're usually going for a substandard quality, if you're paying more it's not worth it unless you take your painting very seriously and you're buying Series 7.  Nose up the thread that I've merged with this and write down a few names and try to check them out next time you're in a hobby store - see what their bristles and their prices are like and make the decision based on your needs.

Topics merged, read the stickies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:21:50 PM by Dux Aurelius Elysius »
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.