News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,500 Necron list  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Aristo

• Armies: Dark Eldar
1,500 Necron list
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Well, since there's no Necron army list subforum, I thought I'd leave this here. Doesn't seem like the Necron
 section has had much activity lately, but here goes.
HQ:
Necron Overlord – Warscythe, Mindshackle scarabs, Sempiteral weave: 130 points
Catacomb Command Barge: 80 points

Royal Court – 3 Harbingers of Destruction, Harbinger of Despair w/ Veil of Darkness:  165 points

Elites:
5 Deathmarks: 95 points

Troops:
9 Necron Warriors: 130 points
Ghost Ark: 115 points

9 Necron Warriors: 130 points

10 Immortals: 170 points
Night Scythe: 100 points

Heavy Support:
Annihilation Barge: 90 points

Total: 1500 points

Thought I'd try my hand at a Necron list - they've been interesting me lately. The Harbingers of Destruction lead the Warriors and Immortals, while the Harbinger of Despair leads the Deathmarks. I think the list is pretty straightforward, although I don't have much in the way of countering assault units. I was considering swapping out a barge and the immortals' Harbinger of Destuction for a unit of Wraiths. What do you think about the list as it stands?

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: 1,500 Necron list
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is the Weave on your Overlord. It isn't quite necessary unless you're not riding the Command Barge. Don't forget the bonuses conferred to the character riding the Chariot; this could save you a few points if necessary.

Also I'm not the biggest fan of the Harbingers of Destruction. One shot weapons just don't do it for me (let alone one shot, one time use weapons but that's another story.) If you think you need a stronger weapon to punch through armor, the Lance isn't your best bet. For Necrons, use the higher strength weapons on the lower AV vehicles because the mighty Gauss Flayer has once again become one of our greatest armor killers. If you still want to attach Crypteks for the character bonuses (which I'm also not sold on), perhaps a Harbinger of the Storm would be worth a try. The Voltaic Staff has a good number of shots and strength for infantry, as well as the Haywire special rule for vehicles; a perfect combination with the smaller Gauss weapons.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to drop the Royal Court and Weave in favor of some melee goodness. Wraiths are a good option in small numbers if you keep them hidden until the right time to strike. Equip them with Whip Coils if possible. Another option might be to drop an Annihilation Barge plus the Court to try a Doom Scythe. I've had good luck with that in the beginning of 6th edition. This plus the Night Scythe will give you a little bit of anti air capability if you need it.

Offline Aristo

• Armies: Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. Someone pointed it out to me earlier. I can drop the weave and leave him in the command barge and he'll be fine.

I'm still looking at the different Crypteks and wrapping my head around them. The Harbingers of the Storm seem pretty effective for Warriors, as you mentioned. I made an oversight in the cost of my Warrior squads; they should be 117 not counting the arks or Crypteks.

I'm actually considering dropping the Deathmarks and using a unit of Wraiths instead. Something like this perhaps:

HQ:
Necron Overlord – Warscythe, Mindshackle scarabs: 115 points
Catacomb Command Barge: 80 points

Royal Court – 2 Harbingers of the Storm, Harbinger of Despair w/ Veil of Darkness:  110 points

Troops:
9 Necron Warriors: 117 points

9 Necron Warriors: 117 points

10 Immortals: 170 points

Fast Attack:
6 Canoptek Wraiths – 3 Whip coils, 2 Particle casters: 250 points

Heavy Support:

Total: 1459 points - 41 to spare
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:28:18 PM by Aristocrap »

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:38:29 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the Particle Casters on Wraiths. A couple of shots won't do much good. If I remember their cost right, by dropping them you'd almost have enough points for e.g. a minimum unit of Warriors to be kept on reserve and come claim a home objective in the final turns. Or something else nice, like a small squad of scarabs :)
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!