News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: MacGyvork's Workshop: Eldar  (Read 2473 times)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
MacGyvork's Workshop: Eldar
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
Greetings and welcome to my Eldar Blog  ;D

My History:

I have recently just gotten back into the hobby again after selling all my models and going on a university exchange to Taiwan. A lot has changed during my time away and i recently acquired an Eldar army to paint up and sell. At any time, if you like a model that you see and wish to purchase it, please let me know via a PM.  If you were at all interested in my previous Eldar blog: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=173256.0
please feel free to have a look around .

I decided that i would start up a thread about the painting steps i take to:

a) Derive a colour scheme
b) Experiment with the new techniques and colour theory
c) Help out beginner painters with my modest skill and hopefully shake off all the rust before i reach my character models so i can do a decent job !

Hopefully this project will inspire others to do so, as well.

I have changed my choice of paints from Citadel to Vallejo as I find that Vallejo colours can come in quite a variety of gamuts.

Aim:

1) To paint an army to the best of my ability with the goal to improve on technique with every brushstroke
2) To learn more about colour theory and to get more into the technical side
3) To have a painted army achieved in the least amount of time.
4) To give a step by step account for what i do when i paint special characters.
5) To have fun ! Painting should be an exciting and enjoyable aspect of the hobby – not a menial task.

Weapons of Choice:

Airbrush
An ever increasing array of Vallejo paints
Weathering powders
Oil paints
Plastic medical gloves
Blu-tac
Corks
Hobby knives
Files
Windsor & Newton Series 7 brushes in 000x2, 00, 0, 1 & 2
Digital Camera  - For all those updates
6.25" curved sharp tweezer
5pc single ended dental pick set
Dremel 421 polishing compound
3/4" brass wheel brushes
32pc needle file set
1/4" x 9/16" cone rubber polisher

Last but not least my 'Palette o' Doom'

A standard artists palette as pictured here:

The Task Ahead:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:20:37 PM by ΦMacGyvorkΦ »

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: MacGyvork's Workshop: Eldar
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
That is quite a sundy gaggle of Eldar there... 9 Wraithlords and 5 Autarchs(2 of which are Yriel)? Did you get this all at once of piecmeal? If all at once, the previous owner clearly suffered from collecting dislexia...

Anywho, i will be following this out of an artistic interest, as i always like seeing other people paint (Gives me inspiration to do the same, since i'm increasingly lazy).
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Hi Lachdonin,

Is is quite a bizarre collection of models isn't it. This is someone else's army that I was just handed. Some elements actually used to be mine back when I did Eldar, so I guess that accounts for the doubling up of miniatures. Quite a lot needs to be fixed an repaired or completely redone ( like that grey Wraithlord with the retarded looking head ).

Since you have been the only one to post so far in this blog I was wondering if you were to choose any model here, which one would you like to see painted? I will do that one up first  ;)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
I generally find that the test of someones painting skills can be most redaly seen on large models, such as Monsters and Tanks. As such, i'd recoment either a tank, or a wraithlord :P

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
Hey Lachdonin  That sounds like a great idea! 

I will do one up after I paint my Big Mek for Febuwaaaaaghry competition.  On a side note I got some new paints today so I decided to get organise and fix up my hobby area.

The spaces in the shelf are for the flesh tones that I will be getting in very soon  ;)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »
As you say, a very odd collection, but I'll enjoy seeing another Eldar army painted up. What are your colour scheme-plan?

Oh, and I'm both impressed and jealous of your paint and brush-range!

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »

As am i. And of your organizational skills. If my painting station looked half that good, i might not be so lazy about painting... Well, theres also my brothers Chaos which are a deterant...

As an asside, thats an interesting chalace i  see in the last picture... Please don't tell me your using that as a water dish.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »
As you say, a very odd collection, but I'll enjoy seeing another Eldar army painted up. What are your colour scheme-plan?

DarkstormUlthwe,

That is a very good question, I have a few ideas rattling around but going with a traditional colour scheme for the aspects and working it into the main colour scheme of the army might be quite difficult. I know that I am keen to do whatever it takes to push my ability as a painter and to learn as much as I can. Therefore, I just might pick out certain models that I want to paint in a way which just won't matter overall ( like one of the 9 wraithlords  ::) ). A very good question and one that I will try and work out an answer for.

If you have any ideas or colours you want me to try and work with then please let me know, this may even turn into a "Can you paint this model this way and show me how to do it" sort of blog :)

It seems that I am getting a bit more interest in this blog that I am Marines ( surprise surprise ) so I will shift this to my focus in between working on my Ork army.

As for the brush range, thank you. The ones in the tubes are my pride and joy. Everything else pretty much gets oil paints/basing/pigment duty  ;)

As am i. And of your organizational skills. If my painting station looked half that good, i might not be so lazy about painting... Well, theres also my brothers Chaos which are a deterant...

As an asside, thats an interesting chalace i  see in the last picture... Please don't tell me your using that as a water dish.

Lachdonin,

My organisational skills may border on OCD  :-\ I have spent so much time working it out than actually painting. I hope to remedy that tomorrow as I will be going outside ( even though it is still a torrential downpour ) to undercoat my minis with the airbrush. I have made it my goal to apply paint tomorrow !!

The chalice, well that is most certainly not a water dish  :P

It is in fact my whiskey/hard liquor cup. Has skulls all over it so the traditional, blood for the blood god and skulls for his throne toast gets said alot  ;)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
It is in fact my whiskey/hard liquor cup. Has skulls all over it so the traditional, blood for the blood god and skulls for his throne toast gets said alot  ;)

Good man, Khorne would be proud.

Anyway, as far as colour schemes go, if you want a cohesive look to the force, i'd recomend starting with a Guardian as a test model. Because they aren't bound up in traditional Aspect colours (which you mentioned you want to maintain) it allows you to establish a general scheme on a relativly low key model which can then be translated, in a more detailed manner, to characters and vehicles. In the same way, once you have the colours of the army decided, you can use the Guardian as a evaluative tool to look at how you can integrate your Aspect Warriors into the overall look of the army.

For instance, my Eldar all have a red undersuit. On the Guardians, this is complemented by green plates and armour, but the Aspect Warriors maintain the colours of their shrines. This creates a cohesive theme throughout the army, even when using the traditional Aspect colours on things liek Avengers and Banshees.

Of course, if you're going to work on a one-off basis rather than maintaining the look throughout, then the cohesion isn't really important. You can pain a squad of Guardians Biel'tan, a tank in Iyanden and a Wraithlord in Ulthwe without concern.

If you're looking to experement and expand your painting knowlege, the latter may be the right route to go. However, sometimes (IMO) its a better mark of skill to create uniqueness amongst like paintschemes rather than going off in widely different directions.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
Very cool set up you got there.  Puts my War room  to shame.   I painting my eldar in aspect colors because it was the first army I took my time on painting.   I have seen some very nice themed eldar armies out there.   

In all honesty I think eldar have the hardest squad to paint (atleast in traditional codex colors).  Harliquins.   It is the one thing I have not mastered yet and models I feel that are the hardest to paint (especially if you go with striped and checkered effects).   So that is definately one squad I would like to see painted.

Good Luck