News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Army List: Junk in the Trunk 2000pts  (Read 1323 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Army List: Junk in the Trunk 2000pts
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
Forward: This is utilizing the Armylist originally featured in IA8 which has been updated in a FAQ from Forgeworld and currently available as a free download, although to play the army in store it would be required to have the Ork Army book and Imperial Armor 8.

So I'm not going to lie, this is far FAR from my standard army, but I think it might be a fun one to play or play against and I want any input on improving or modifying this current list. (And YES this is using the Dreadmob list without any Dreads!)

Junk in the Trunk
HQ
KFF Mek with Cybork and Eavy Armor
Dedicated Transport Junka with Deffrolla, 2 Big Shootas, twin Rokkits, Ard Case and Eavy Plates
Painboss Warlord with Cybork, Bosspole, 3 Orderlies

Troops
4 Cybork Slashas + a Painboy (troop with Painboss Warlord), Eavy Armor, 1 Pk, Painboy Bosspole
20 Cybork Spannas with Shootas, KMB Mek
2 units of 10 Spannas with Shootas, Big Shoota Mek (ride in Warkoptas)
12 Spannas with Shootas, Big Shoota Mek, in a Scrap Trukk

Elites
Junka with Deffrolla, 2 Big Shootas, Twin Rokkits and Eavy Plates (transporting Cybork Slashas)
2 Junkas with Deffrolla, 3 Big Shootas, Ard Case and 2 Grotbombz each

Fast
Grot Mega Tank with Twin KMB, Twin Grotzooka, and 3 Big Shootas
2 Warkoptas with Twin Rattler Kannons

Heavy
2 Big Trakks with Flakka Guns, Ard Case, Ram, 2 Big Shootas
Burna Bomma with 4 Skorcha Missiles

1997 pts

That's a lotta stuff for a 2000 point list, but it's SOO light on troops for an Ork army that I'm honestly not sure if it can hack an objective game, and a killpoint game really isn't going to be one of my favorites.  On the bright side I think most opponents will have a tough time deciding target priority what with so many tanks on the table (a total of 7) + 2 Skimmers and a Flyer.  Orkmas has come early this year with Forgeworld's IA8 update.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:14:38 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Army List: Junk in the Trunk 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
I am shocked  :o

I fully expected to see you huge kan kollection listed out, with some of your other sillyness too. However, I am glad to see there is still the blood of the speed freak inside you, that even with a kan-able list you went with fast stuff.  ;D

I too was thinking of a similar list, except I would have my grot tanks in there, as I don't have the grot mega tank like you do.

One suggestion; drop the slashas and use the points to put three squads of grenade totin grots in those junkas to make for more scoring units. Also since you won't have slashas to beef up, drop the mad doc and use the points to get even more grots for the big mek to have a squad to lead.

Of course, now I want pictures...
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
Its interesting that you brought up Grot Tanks Skeetergod, I finally started scratchbuilding one (what with current unemployment. needing a pick me up, and frankly hitting another brick wall with the Ork-nid projekt).  These are very much in the style of my old KoS buggies, with a 100% card base.  Big difference is I'm a lot more refined and sophisticated in my scratchbuilding techniques, and unlike buggies I'm completely guestimating the size (Seriously if ANYONE who reads this thread has the minis, please please please let me know the dimensions!).

I probably should have mentioned in the title that it's not a 'real' Dreadmob army, but if I build it there's a lot of nice konverzion work for stuff I don't currently have.

Plopping in Gretchen Scavnegers would work... Nope, Junkas have the Transcap of a Rhino.  In any case I really went with the Cybork Slashas has it seems like a fun unit to build and I personally liked that they became Troops with a Painboss Warlord.  The Big Mek Warlord Trait just doesn't personally do it for me, and frankly I've never really liked the idea of Warlord tables.  The whole table thing, it just reminds me of the 'Chart Madness' of 2nd Edition, which while often heralded as the "golden age of 40k" I truly feel 3rd was the best 40k has ever been.  The game was streamlined, and I think better put together than 6th, which frankly is just 40k mixed with Epic, Apoc and a fine sprinkling of most of the 2nd Edition things I thought were horrible.  But on the bright side while I'm likely to rarely if ever have an in-store pickup game again (unless I find a store that bars Lords of War, Stronghold Assault, and Imperial Knights) I suppose I can get away with an army of mostly scratchbuilt that doesn't attempt to skate that line of 70% GW material.

I did want to grab some grot tanks to put in there, especially when the FAQ improved the Kommanda to having the option to mount a second weapon vs it being a Must.  One of the reasons why I didn't immediately build up some Grot Tanks was being unable to figure out how to mount that second turret and have it still fit with the kind of look I wanted, but now that's a non-issue!

I'll admit that I don't like the Scrap Trukk.  I've never been the biggest Trukk proponent to begin with, but the Scrap Trukk trading much needed speed for a free Grabba Klaw and Armor plates... it's just not ideal.  Thankfully most of my opponents would target the KFF Junka, the open topped Cybork Junka, one of the Big Trakks, the Grot Mega Tank or one of the Warkoptas first to try and net First Blood rather than the Trukk so at least there's that.

Thanks for the input Skeetergod, I'll play around with the points, maybe drop the Grot Mega Tank in favor of the little ones.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
OK, I looked it up, and sure enough the junka has less troop cap than I thought. So the slashers stay in.

Since the slashers are basically nobs, I have found that nobs need a minimum of seven bodies to be effective. Where you will get the points to get two more slashas is a bit sticky, maybe drop one junka, or drop one copta and put those boys in a junka, but it is only a recommendation.

The grot tanks I have are about the same size as the old style trucks. I admit I didn't scratch build them like you are, but instead used toy tanks from a box set of True Heroes. I just "orkified" them. I have enough for two full squadrons, and that is a lot of BS3 KMBs running around the table to worry even grey knights. As for the extra weapon on the kommander tank, a big shoota will do, just make a cupola with the gun on it (use the spare parts from the grot gunner from the plane kit).

Of course, keep the grot mega tank. This list even makes me want to build one just so I can have an "iron company" of ork goodness rolling across the table. A wall of ork armor sweeping towards the enemy is just so appealing  8)

Too bad we don't have a HQ choice that makes burna boys into troops  :'( now to figure out how to take lots of burna boys and lots of grot tanks in the same army list  ???  )
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak