News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Starting Again. Modeling/Rules Question (Falcon v Night Spinner)  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Malakai

• Armies: Craftworlders, Dark Angels, Heretic Astartes, Orks
Starting Again. Modeling/Rules Question (Falcon v Night Spinner)
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
I haven't played since 4th edition. More of a collector now with unassembled models in boxes but decided to break them out. I Don't have the latest models like jetbikes etc but the rest of my stuff is current.
I have three tanks all unassembled. Serpent and two Falcons. I did find a Night Spinner conversion kit from Forge World a purchased ages ago. It's a wicked little kit. All of my tanks are the FW MKIIs. I LOVE the look of Falcons. Always been my favorite tank regardless of how the rules are and I'm currently assembling the first one. The second one though I'm tempted to use the Night Spinner FW conversion kit.
I don't intend on buying another Falcon and I really wanted two but the collector in me thinks it might be cool to have a relatively rare looking Spinner. Still if the tank's rules are really dreadful I will give it a pass.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:26:55 PM by Malakai »
-Malakai

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Starting Again. Modeling/Rules Question (Falcon v Night Spinner)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »
Of note: three Falcons allows for the Cloudstrike, which is pretty sweet as a tactic (in my non-Eldar-y opinion).

Never really faced a Nightspinner, so I've little to offer other than is looks okay against hordes/infantry heavy, but not fantastic against anybody else.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Night spinners are far from dreadful.
My spinner sees more action than my falcons, that's for sure.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline sunstrider

• sometimes you just need a little more gun
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Blood Angels
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
If you've got a nightspinner conversion kit I'd definitely put that on one of your tanks. I know the kit you're talking about and it looks sweet, so go for it. Rules wise, I haven't used nightspinners before, but I have friends that play eldar that swear by it over fire prisms, so that counts for something.

And from the sound of it, it seems like you haven't taken the dive into the current edition's rules. But as mentioned above, if you take 3 falcons together they all gain a pretty powerful special rule.

That special rule allows all of them to deep strike without scattering, and if you combine that with squads of fire dragons mounted in your falcons...I think you see where I'm going with this one :P

Offline Malakai

• Armies: Craftworlders, Dark Angels, Heretic Astartes, Orks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
Yeah I'm not familiar with the current ruleset right now. I have every edition of the rules and codexes since 2nd edition though. I'm flipping through it but I'm sure you know as well as I that sometimes an army list entry looks great on paper but doesn't really translate over too well in actual play. Although I'm a collector first and foremost if I do get the opportunity I'd like my army to be able to hold it's own.

This is my second Eldar army and I can't believe it's taken me this long to getting around to even assembling it. Hell I've had a Revenant Titan unassembled in my closet for four or five years now.  ::)

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have thought of a solution. As I have been wanting to update my jetbikes anyway I'm considering getting the "Getting Started box." I'll just rotate the prism turret with the FW Spinner turret if/when I get in a game or two. If I like the Night Spinner enough I'll grab a second "Getting Started" box allowing me to use the vanes that come with the FW kit (something I can't do with the MkII Falcon kits) replacing the back hatch that comes with the plastic kit and still keeping the extended wing bits and engines. Should make for a sick looking model.

Two units of new jetbikes with a Farseer AND Warlock Skyrunner is a bonus.
Thanks again for the replies. Hope I get to try it out before another edition comes and goes.
-Malakai