News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: They shall rule again  (Read 3044 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
They shall rule again
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
Your turn for a new codex. Spoilers this week with preorders shortly afterwards. You also have the Forgebane board game and eventually to be video game.

Beginning with pretty much what we've expected based on other armies. The same general bonuses and modifiers in a new wrapper.
Preview: The Sautekh Dynasty, Tomb Blades and the Catacomb Command Barge -
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:15:13 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: They shall rule again
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »
Have both Forgebane and the new codex preordered, looking forward to working on my main army again. 8th has not worked well for my play style.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2018, 11:40:27 PM »
Ever since 8th dropped, I've wanted to play with my Necrons and just haven't been able too. The rules in the xenos book really didn't do anything for me so I just played with my Eldar. Now I have the new book, I realise not much has changed but I hit the ground running to get my unbuilt models put together. It feels like a new flavor and I can't wait to taste it. As for the Forgebane, the only model I wanted was the crypteks but I already have 4 of the old ones so pass. I finally got Nightbringer, my first C'tan ever, but see them as a good include to any army as well as spyders. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to play and if I do will post up a report.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »
Agreed. They brought back a few flavors in the form of stratagems that seem helpful but I have yet to really dig into a list to focus on any strategy yet. The Dynastic Codes really brig some movement back for classic phalanx style so we’ll see how that works.

With Forgebane, I think I really wanted an excuse to get some AdMech but the new Cryptek is nice, it not quite large comparably to my other HQs. I also have never purchased the new model wraiths not have I built any Tesla immortals or Triarch praetorians so it works out for me.

Speaking of Triarch, I’m not sure I can find a reason to use them. Without the Dynasty keyword and only 1 generic stratagem, it seems like they could easily be replaced by other units in the codex that would automatically gain army wide benefits. Am I missing something?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2018, 11:44:05 AM »
For their points I don't see much use for the Triarch Stalkers either. You could just take an HQ if you wanted to buff a units shooting attack. I don't find their weaponry much to write home about.

Praetorians, one of my favorite units, are in a similar boat. They're good, and are less points now, but lacking the dynasty keyword they can't even benefit from a Cryptek, Lord, or Overlord.

Deathmarks are the stand out unit for me. Take them in a Mephrit list and they can do some real damage. A friend proxied a mass Deathmark list and it put out a stupid amount of damage to anything it wanted to shoot at.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
I had a 1k points game against this new dex (I was running CWE) and it was brutal, but went to the 5th turn. It was really close, with both sides pulling off some freaky good rolls.  Given the current meta in my area tends to be mostly infantry armies, Necron will definitely do well.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
I didn't get to play this weekend due to health problems.

Thanks for the heads up on the dynasty thing, I haven't really got through the book that much yet so time to bend the back some more.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
Actually, Stalkers could be quite good with the trait that makes heavy weapons assault weapons. Take a Particle Shredder and that's quite nasty! They're not terrible at punching things either. That's quite a bit of points though.

Edit: I also just noticed an error. The points section lists Lychguard and Deathmarks as troops. However the data sheets has the elites symbol.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:21:56 PM by Partninja »

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Actually, Stalkers could be quite good with the trait that makes heavy weapons assault weapons. Take a Particle Shredder and that's quite nasty! They're not terrible at punching things either. That's quite a bit of points though.

Edit: I also just noticed an error. The points section lists Lychguard and Deathmarks as troops. However the data sheets has the elites symbol.

I noticed the mistake also, had to quickly page back to the data sheet to see if it was true. That really would have changed army composition!

The Transcendant C’tan also looks to be a little more interesting to take now.  Back with the original 3rd edition codex, I was big on c’tan and maybe now with character rules and the small updates they will make it back into my regular lists.