News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tech Support Thread  (Read 61931 times)

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
Re: Tech Support Thread
« Reply #260 on: December 6, 2010, 06:53:39 AM »
I would use the operating system that's on your computer :)   

Any good modern computer running Win 7 will be fine.  If its an older computer Win7 or XP my be needed, XP may get a bit of a boost if you have under 2GB ram or very old video card.  Both will be fine.  I suggest to all that win vista did not exist and should be forgotten.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline The Guy in the Blue Chair Named Phil

• But why the blue chair?
« Reply #261 on: December 6, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »
I suggest to all that win vista did not exist and should be forgotten.
Lol. It was really problematic for me. Once you install 3+ games on it, then it fails horribly, and you can't use it very well.
And I've installed Section 8 multiple times on my XP laptop, and when ever I launch it, the only thing that pops up is an error message saying that it encountered a problem and needs to shut down.
(\_/)
(-.-)
(__)
Bunny is not amused.
If you teach a man to hunt, he will hunt. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit  in a boat and sip a beer all day
Assault on Forge World kills: 11
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline Fire Chicken

• Help me win the war
« Reply #262 on: December 6, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
Laptop!  Have you seen what I say about laptops lately :(
First make sure your XP is up to sp3.  Update your XP and video drivers.  The requirements for this make me think you need a video card.  If your laptop uses integrated video you may be out of luck.  Remember, these are minimum requirements.  That means the game will barely run on low settings with them.

Second, this is an online FPS game.  There is a single player, but its mostly the tutorial for online play.  Don't expect much.

System requirements

Minimum:[3]
    * Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1
    * Pentium 4 3Ghz or higher
    * RAM: 1GB for XP, 2GB for Vista
    * 6 GB free hard drive space
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or ATI Radeon X1800 with 256 MB, DirectX 9.0c and Shader 3.0

« Reply #263 on: December 6, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
Meh...Im going to give Win 7 a try. Although kotor2 works fine on my XP laptop.
(\_/)
(-.-)
(__)
Bunny is not amused.
If you teach a man to hunt, he will hunt. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit  in a boat and sip a beer all day
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
Hi everyone, I need a bit of help, I am looking to try and connect my PS3 to my laptop. But I can't / don't know how!? I've heard that this connectivity will allow you to share things such as music, videos and documents between the two... ie: downloading my PS3 game picture library onto my PC etc. I've even heard that it is even possible to use your laptop as the TV screen for your playstation (which could be particularly useful when the missus wants to watch "Americas next top model"!!!

Now, first things first:
My PS3 can definately "see" my windows "home media server" (laptop) but if I try to access this through my PS3 then, well...  I can't! It is definately MY pc, because the "media server" has my name on it, and disappears if I turn my laptop off. I'm pretty certain there is nothing wrong with the wireless connectivity of my PS3, as it connects to the internet wirelessly through my home router.

Now onto my laptop:
My laptop is a pretty new Samsung, and runs Windows 7. It also connects wirelessly to the router. I am not really sure where to go to even "see" the playstation!? And I'm almost certain that I will need to adjust some settings / permissions but also don't know where or what!?

So, can anyone help me connect my PS3 & laptop.

« Reply #265 on: March 7, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »
Hi everyone, I need a bit of help, I am looking to try and connect my PS3 to my laptop. But I can't / don't know how!? I've heard that this connectivity will allow you to share things such as music, videos and documents between the two... ie: downloading my PS3 game picture library onto my PC etc. I've even heard that it is even possible to use your laptop as the TV screen for your playstation (which could be particularly useful when the missus wants to watch "Americas next top model"!!!

Now, first things first:
My PS3 can definately "see" my windows "home media server" (laptop) but if I try to access this through my PS3 then, well...  I can't! It is definately MY pc, because the "media server" has my name on it, and disappears if I turn my laptop off. I'm pretty certain there is nothing wrong with the wireless connectivity of my PS3, as it connects to the internet wirelessly through my home router.

Now onto my laptop:
My laptop is a pretty new Samsung, and runs Windows 7. It also connects wirelessly to the router. I am not really sure where to go to even "see" the playstation!? And I'm almost certain that I will need to adjust some settings / permissions but also don't know where or what!?

So, can anyone help me connect my PS3 & laptop.
I dont own a PS3, but I have a suggestion...Maybe you can try a wired connection or something like that?
I have a problem of my own...
I have a iPod Touch, 4Gen, jailbroken successfully of course, but, I tried to fix the fact that I can't make in app purchases, and, through iFile, I changed installd into installd.new, like the nice Successful Youtubers said, but when they said change installd.backup to installd, I only had installd_mount_help er, so I changed that. So then I had to respring.  Now its stuck on the apple animations, for 1 entire day now. Please help :(
(\_/)
(-.-)
(__)
Bunny is not amused.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #266 on: March 7, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
You altered one of the files necessary for startup, since it can't find it it halts for infinity.  Since yours doesn't have the .backup file there's nothing to change.  You need to revert the _helper file back to its original name and hope that it hasn't been corrupted- try starting it after you make that change (if possible).

It sounds like you're looking at instructions for an older iPod Touch, is yours an exact match?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

« Reply #267 on: March 7, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
I don't even know, but I was following instructions to a video made in late 2010. Like November. I'm going to see if restoring it to factory standards (maybe fixing what I altered) and re jailbreaking. Is there a program that allows you to use iPod thru computer?
(\_/)
(-.-)
(__)
Bunny is not amused.

Offline FarseerFaris

• Eradicate them all....
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
I need some help unblocking an application/program called 'adobe air
I've been playing 'league of legends' and anways I have windows 7 and it constantly pops up security stuff in the lower right hand corner of the window asking permission to allow programs to access the web and do stuff.  Anyways it popped up asking about 'adobe air' and I accidentally clicked 'block' instead of allow always - I for the life of me can not figure out how to 'unblock' it - I've disabled firewalls thinking they were stopping it, and gone into the windows firewall for blocking stuff and can't find adobe in the list to check back in...  So i don't think its the firewalls stopping me but cannot figure out where to go and what to do to unblock this accidentally blocked app.  I'd be very grateful if you guys could point me in the right direction.
And though all I see is darkness...
I shall not flinch from my destiny..!

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
Enabling and disabling the firewall is the master switch, if you will, so turn that back on immediately.  Blocking/allowing individual applications are custom settings for the firewall.

To allow programs, just follow the instructions here.

To allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall.

2. In the left pane, click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.

3. Click Change settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Select the check box next to the program you want to allow, select the network locations you want to allow communication on, and then click OK.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao

Offline FarseerFaris

• Eradicate them all....
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2011, 02:10:44 AM »
Yeah I tried that and a bunch of other stuff and none of it worked - basically all i know is it worked fine, they auto-installed a patch where I think they added Adobe Air, then the box popped up where i accidentally hit 'block', and now it says 'Error connecting to Maestro' when I start up the game, I also noticed if i right click the icon on the bar on the bottom of the computer screen their is an option for 'Adobe Air Debug Launch' or something similar where it pops up a black text screen(I think like DOS?) but only for less than half a sec before it closes so I can't actually read what it says I can glimpse the word Adobe Air though so something must just be wrong with it...   I dunno.  Luckily I fired up my old desktop and it kindof plays on there except you can't pick a character..  Thanks though and any other ideas at all??  I have already uninstalled/reinstalled it several times too.
And though all I see is darkness...
I shall not flinch from my destiny..!

• Ancient
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
I take it Maestro isn't on the list of blocked applications?  If Adobe isn't on the list of blocked programs then that isn't the problem.  It's possible that Maestro or Adobe needs a port forwarded manually.  Forwarding a port is specific to your router software, though.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao

Offline Fire Chicken

• Help me win the war
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
This may help you forward to your port: http://portforward.com/

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #273 on: April 7, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
*Blows some dust off*

Right, its a minor gripe really, but i have got the following problem:

Everytime i call someone over skype, or receive a call, the soundvolume of all running applications (save firefox it seems) gets turned down to a very low level, save for those programs i start during the call, which has started to annoy me quite a bit. I can manually reset the sound setting in the "Hardware and Sound" settings or restart the program but have to do it every time this problem occurs.

I am not even sure, if that problem comes with skype, or if its a win 7 home premium edition problem. At least in skype i couldnt find an option to turn this "feature" off. 

Anyone an idea what i am talking about and how to solve the problem?

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

• Ancient
« Reply #274 on: April 7, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
It's not a Windows7 issue.  Do the sound settings reset after you end the call?  Look under the voice chat settings, there should be a setting to "mute/muffle all other applications" during calls, much like Ventrilo.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #275 on: April 7, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
It's not a Windows7 issue.  Do the sound settings reset after you end the call? 

Yes, they do.

Look under the voice chat settings, there should be a setting to "mute/muffle all other applications" during calls, much like Ventrilo.

Hmm, maybe i did find something in the sound settings. There is the option to auto-adjust the speaker. I switched it off. I shall test if that solves my problem.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #276 on: April 8, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
*sigh* My brilliant resetting of the soundsettings didnt archive any success.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
Hi all,

Excel is annoying me endlessly on my mew laptop, whenever i open excel files from my explorer, it always opens the file as a new instance. This only affects me when I'm trying to link excel files to each other, since this requires both files to be open in the same instance. the work-around is to open one file and then go into the excel menu and open the other files, but I really would prefer to have my Excel fixed >.<

Operating system is Windows 7 64bit, with Office 2007 (had to uninstall Office 2010 because I didn't have a legal license for it)

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.