News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gitz RRRRR Done... Kontest  (Read 11831 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Gitz RRRRR Done... Kontest
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
Hello all, it seems that AOD is currently enjoying a slight grot rebellion. I assure you it has nothing to do with the spare grots I loaned him to help out in his work shop  ::)

So, While AOD is busy stomping grots and getting his loot back, I am sliding in here to declare a little extension of this build off.
Build as much as you want and earn teef. Gotta get on it though, as AOD might return any day now without notice.

Lets get busy (and mind your grots). This way we can loot some more of AOD's teef pile when he gets back from his diversion.  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
Well, I got my MA Warboss finished today, so even if the deadline is extended, I have a nice warm glow anyway.
Here he is:

And a couple more shots from different angles, as he's not as blocky as he looks from the front:

You can also see the bits of scrap he's standing on in that last one. Overall, quite happy with him, he's about 50% larger than the other MANz I've done.

Now, since the deadline has been extended a bit, I'm going to paint up some more 'ard boyz as originally planned, to bulk out my troops a bit, but I'm also going to go for one more character. In the past I haven't used a Weirdboy, despite having built and dismantled several different ones. I'm not sure I'm going to use one now, given how crowded HQ seems, but I am determined to actually finish and paint one nonetheless. So this seems a good opportunity...

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:49 AM »
Extended deadline What What!

I guess this gives me a chance to maybe hold on to a couple of those teef that I offered up to anyone who finishes more than me... hmm, maybe not with the unexpected schedule change (theater life is great, but offers up schedules as if time was a Mekboyz half finished SAG).  We'll just have to see what happens with that.

Ok, so this got me thinking, and in part inspired by OD here, I decided to try something a bit more ambitious. It's still a kitbash (in fact it became part of the exercise to use nothing but GW plastic and a tiny bit of greenstuff), but the bits are so different that it's closer to a scratchbuild than anything I have done.
Yes young skywalker...err Baron, come to the dark side, I hear we have cookies, yet I haven't seen them about.  As always I dig the work, but for this being the closest to a scratchbuild I say bravo.  You're on your way on the konverzion path.  Its a good thing, and I can tell you that it can get addictive, but its so satisfying to really work on something completely new and never before done.  You can do a lot with Kitbashing, but inevitably it will lead to that day where you need just this one bit that you need and have to scratchbuild, from there you can avalanche full on.

Scratchbuilding isn't for everyone, and I'm not going to lie, it isn't hard, but it isn't easy.  If you come at a scratchbuild with an idea in mind, but also a willingness to not follow that plan to the letter and roll with how things are going, then you're on the right track, at least from my perspective.  I've been scratchbuilding for years, but even so I think my track record is something like for every great mini I have two or three really bad ones.  Scratchbuilding is one of those skills that just develop the more you do and the further you want to push yourself to new challenges.  Its kind of a masochistic creativity.

Of your Megaboss, I think the detail that really pops out to me most is the feet.  Maybe that's because I've never really been satisfied with my own Mega scratchbuilds feet, or maybe because creative basing is something I always find refreshing and rare,  but for whatever reason those clodhoppers really work for me.  And the Boss glyph on the Iron Gob came out so nice I first thought it was freehand. I do happen to have a question though, since this is built out of the gray, where is that kog gubbinz bit on the base from.  Its another small detail, but one that at least in my eyes really pops and adds that extra hint of realism that is so often missing from bases.

As for myself, I'm chalking this on the walls...

Projekt Complete 50+??? hours

Loosing track of time in the paint is fairly often for me, which is fine I guess since the timelog is really just for me.  Some time tomorrow (well later today its after midnight) I'll get one of my roomies to take some photos, I just couldn't seem to get most of them to come out well, this puppy just looks a hundred times better in person.

Detail Shots

Had I realized earlier on that I was going to do a 2nd Edition style Blood Axe paint, I'd have added some glyph work to that effect.  In truth I didn't originally know how I was going to paint this sucker, all I knew was I didn't want Yellow or Red.  It's got this great military drab to the Russ bitz, with a bit of color variety due to multilayering similar shades, its unfortunately one of those things that you can really notice a lot better in person than over these less than optimal pictures.

One of those strange things did happen during the last of the build and paint with this model.  I started really wanting to play with it, unlike any other scratchbuild I've done before.  Yes there's always that excitement of having a new toy (or two) on the verge of being tabletop ready, but this was more.  This was a model I wasn't going to actually play, and all of a sudden I can think of nothing else.

The eyelids are heavy, and sleep cometh, good thing this insomnia streak is just about over, so is this particular project.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:49:58 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
Baron:  Great job!  Thanks to you, I now know what to do with my extra Dredd CCW.  Maybe I'll have to try my hand at building a Mega WB.

OD:  Wait...we have cookies???  Someone's been hording treats!  Great looking konversion!  The tracks really set it apart from other models!  Great idea and, of course, even better execution!

Here are my entries:

My Class photo; to date, everything I've been working on that's finished:

My Mek; I'm rather pleased with how he turned out:

My pain boy; properly Blood Axe themed:

Blood Axe nobz:

I'll try to post better pictures later...again apologies for my less than stellar photography skills...
OEN
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #24 on: August 3, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
OD - the cog is just sliced out of the ork left arm holding a pipe with bits screwed on the top. (can't remember which kit, but I have lots, so it must be boyz or bikers). near the top is a cogwheel, so I just cut what was above and what was below away. Russbot looks great, very grimy. I would highlight the blue bits a bit to make them stand out more, but that's probably just me and my predilection towards brighter orks ;), the whole effect you have looks like it has belched plenty of smoke across itself.

OEN - I love the little blowtorch-burna on your mek, and that painboy is just a great model, like how yours look like he has been elbow deep in guts already.

For my part, I have built a Weirdboy that I'm very happy with:

And I have also been bulking up some of my boyz. First, three shoota boyz (quite samey, so can't do too many in a row!):

with a big shoota:

And some slugga boyz:

details:

And finally a new nob for them:

Looking at the pictures, I think maybe the big shootas would be better the other way around.

Anyway, not quite a whole unit of boyz finished yet, but I think that takes me to:
5 bikes (with Nob)
5 MANz (with Boss Nob)
1 MA Big Mek
1 converted MA Warboss
1 converted Weirdboy
4 shoota boyz (with big shoota)
7 slugga boyz (with big shoota and nob)

which is not bad for just over a month :) My aim is to get both slugga and shoota squads up to 10, (maybe 12, but lets not be too ambitious!) and to do a trukk for each, and a trukk for my burnas. Unfortunately, this last bit is stumped by the fact that I only have 1 trukk left to build ... so the other 2 might have to wait. At least I have a good idea what I want to do with the trukk I have - if I get a chance to build and/or paint before this closes, I'll post it too, it's all teef :)

« Last Edit: August 3, 2014, 05:38:41 PM by Baron Wastelands »

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #25 on: August 4, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
Some more pics of my event completions:

nobz, trying to experiment and look at a couple of the other clans available...it's also an excuse to try out blue and yellow:

also my latest runtherder, pretty standand, but an interesting figure with grot:

That's it for now.  Maybe more later...you never know when the time will present itself...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: August 7, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »
Glad to see there hasn't been a bunch of weedy gitz while I was gone.   I am back now (family medical stuff no fun).  The fun part though was it was my b-day over my trip so I came home to a big box of new stuff.  I got the dex, Gorkanaut, Stormclaw box set, Mega nobz, a painboy, and ork datacards.... so not a bad haul.   

I would love to finish my stormboyz so since this kontest is still active and progressing and since I am running it I think an official extension until the end of August is in order......

So there you have it, two full months of greenskin love.   So no time for slacking, i am sure there is still some gray plastic orks who need some finishin  get to work....

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
OEN - I like the yellow one best, but then I would ;p The blue face-paint came out well too, did you paint green then layer up in blue?

Not so much time for hobby this month, as working picking up again, but I have managed to finish up another trukk. Aside from wanting one with rokkits, I had the vague idea that this is a mek's trukk, so a bit more kustom than usual. As such, I've added tellyporta headlights (will try them as a trukk mounted tellyporta blasta in a friendly game some time :) ) and a rokkit booster. I also built up the cage, with extra sprue bits. Hope you like:

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »
That is a truly awesome trukk Baron,  I gotta say your work is top notch in painting and conversions

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »
Many thanks, much appreciated  :D

I've started work on some 'supa'-grots now, in my new edition quest for more troops ... but I don't think I'll get any done in time for the deadline. Still, have made a good dent in my remaining greys and new models, so very grateful for the Kontest!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »
Right then, I finally got the box with the camera, and now some pics of the newest member of the Skeetergod airforce. Talk about waiting till the last moment to get credit for the work. "PHEW"  ::)

I put the other two supa shootas on top so they "match" the upward ejection ports of the ones in the wings, and I put the bomma flaps on it to differentiate it from the other dakka jet.

You can see I added extra tail wings so that it is more stable while making strafing runs (that make an ork BS3)
It hasn't been in a game yet, so we shall see if it is better than the other dakka jet I have, that has only survived twice in about fifty games (I think that is a 4% survival rate). My Green Baron has survived more games than my cursed dakka jet. Hopefully the second one will fare better.

Here is a picture of the whole squadron at the moment. Only two more burna bommas to build (when I find the box they are packed in) but they will have to wait a while as the honey do list has grown to ludicrous dimensions

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
Sorry everyone I have endured a lot of personal stuff over the last couple months.... so make sure to correct me if I get anything wrong...

I did not get my stormboyz finished but got a lot of work done on some of them.   

Baron Wastelands
5 bikes (with Nob)                                                                     10
5 MANz (with Boss Nob)                                                            10
1 MA Big Mek                                                                               5
1 converted MA Warboss                                                           10
1 converted Weirdboy                                                                10
4 shoota boyz (with big shoota)                                                  4
7 slugga boyz (with big shoota and nob)                                    7
1 converted trukk                                                                       10
total                                                                                           66

OD
converted mega walker (not sure if he is gorkanaut or stompa size)         20
(met ya in the middle there)

Ork E Nuff
Mek                                                                         10
Painboy                                                                    5
14 infantry models                                                   14
total                                                                         29

Skeetergod
I believe one converted plane (the 3 pic messed me up)  10

Please let me know if I messed any of this up  also let me know who should get some bonus points for the competition.