News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Fun" Radical Inquisition/Space Marines 1500 Point Army List  (Read 5946 times)

Offline Hobo Eric

• "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
"Fun" Radical Inquisition/Space Marines 1500 Point Army List
« on: December 6, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
Hey everybody, let me start off by saying that I just ordered some Marines/DH models and was aiming for a fun/colorful list as well as one that could hold their own on the tabletop.  I currently play Eldar and Dark Eldar, so this is something completely new to me.  I would appreciate any comments/criticism any more experienced players could give me.  Here is my army:

Inquisitor Lord
Terminator Armor
Teleport Homer
Eviscerator

Master of the Forge
Conversion Beamer

3x Daemonhost

Vindicare Assassin

Venerable Dreadnought
Plasm Cannon
Heavy Flamer
Twin-linked Autocannon

Predator
Autocannon
2x Lascannon Sponsons

Land Raider
2x Twin-linked Lascannon Sponsons

9x Tac Marines
1x Sergeant
1x Plasma Cannon

9x Tac Marines
1x Sergeant
1x Plasma Cannon

In case you were wondering, this list is made with base Space Marines but I want to theme it as a small ragtag radical Inquisitorial strike force.  I am curious as to how the complete anarchy of the Daemonhosts will go, any personal experiences with them would be helpful.  There isn't anything especially powerful in this list, but I like the character (no pun intended) that the 6 independent characters give to this army.  Hopefully this army will be a fun change of pace from the stock seer council army that I run as Eldar. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: "Fun" Radical Inquisition/Space Marines 1500 Point Army List
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
Just keep in mind, you can only ally up to one elites choice from Codex:Daemonhunters. Therefore using both the Daemonhosts and the Assassin makes the list illegal, Also the HQ inquisitor needs a retinue of at least three henchmen. Besides that, you may want to tone down some of the more expensive choices and vehicles to give the tactical squads transports. Makes then much more of a threat in objective games.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2009, 10:01:40 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2009, 10:36:52 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't realize that I had to have a retinue for the Inquisitor, thanks for reminding me!  As for the Vindicare, he is taken from the Codex: Assassins (Not sure if there are any rules I'm breaking there, it states they may be included in any Space Marines force).  As for the retinue, I have 2 of each henchman, what would you recommend?

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't realize that I had to have a retinue for the Inquisitor, thanks for reminding me!  As for the Vindicare, he is taken from the Codex: Assassins (Not sure if there are any rules I'm breaking there, it states they may be included in any Space Marines force).  As for the retinue, I have 2 of each henchman, what would you recommend?

Codex Assassins is not a legal book, it was replaced by the Inquisitor books.

For the Inquisitor, you should use henchmen that help in the role you want the inquisitor to be in. Generally, Inqusitors are piss-poor in combat, but for a melee inquisitor you'd want acolytes to suck wounds, and combat servitors to punch people with. Familiars raise your initiative and are cheap, but doesn't help when you have an eviserator.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »
I decided to make the command squad this:
Inquisitor Lord - Teleport Homer, Plasma Pistol
Warrior + Meltagun
Sage x2

Also, that is unfortunate about the Assassin, I guess I will have to drop him and use those points for something else.

Offline therealpapasmurf

• Courage and Honour
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »
dont quote me on this but from memory, the rules for assassins in Codex Assassin and in Codex DH are identical with one exception - you need an inquisitor to field an assassin.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"

Roboute Guilliman

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »
I decided to make the command squad this:
Inquisitor Lord - Teleport Homer, Plasma Pistol
Warrior + Meltagun
Sage x2

Also, that is unfortunate about the Assassin, I guess I will have to drop him and use those points for something else.

Just remember that Teleport homers in the Daemon hunter codex don't work, as they follow the old rules for deepstrike. If you want to use the unit to shoot tanks, two sages, a mystic and a multi-melta servitor could be used to shoot down Dreadnaughts that deepstrike near you. Or use a plasmacannon to nuke anything else that does so.

it is easy to make the unit very expensive. You need to specialize the whole unit for a very specific goal for best bang for the buck. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with Codex Space Marines, so I am unable to make as much in the way of comments on the rest of the list.

The lord himself should be geared towards the goal as well. For example, a Combi-melta synergises well with meltagun henchmen. While if your going for a metal storm build (mystics and lots of heavy bolter servitors) a psycannon is the best bet. Generally close combat is better geared towards other units in the force. If you expect psykers, then a psychic hood is not a bad buy, as it's better then the one space marines can get due to unlimited range. However, a few items don't work in the current edition, or pale in comparison to current updates in rules.

dont quote me on this but from memory, the rules for assassins in Codex Assassin and in Codex DH are identical with one exception - you need an inquisitor to field an assassin.

They are, but Codex Assassins is no longer a legal book. Not sure what the point your trying to make is.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Kyurize

• o.o
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I recommend that if you use daemonhost you use at least one other tough cc unit, because when you charge with your daemonhost he can survive almost all normal hits, but when the power fists hits you, the DH will die almost always, so they need a lot of support or they could work as support (charge with them to help a unit that charged before them).
Another thing, you wont want to deploy them close to other units or each other, sometimes their random powers can work against you too.
If you are going to play marine, and is for fun, you could try something like blood angels. I think that the deathcompany + daemonhost could be a fun combination.

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
Alright, I changed up my list, least of all to make it legal!  Here is the updated roster:

Inquisitor Lord - Eviscerator, Artificier Armor, Teleport Homer
2x Warrior - Power Fist + Close Combat Weapon
1x Warrior - Meltagun + Targeter

Master of the Forge - Conversion Beamer

2x Daemonhost

10x Sisters Repentia (1 Mistress) - Eviscerators, Neural Whips

10x Marines (1 Sergeant) - 1x Plasma Cannon, 1x Meltagun

10x Marines (1 Sergeant) - 1x Plasma Cannon, 1x Meltagun

Land Raider - 2x Twin-linked Lascannons, 1x Heavy Bolter

Predator - 2x Lascannon Sponsons, 1x Autocannon

Dreadnought - Plasma Cannon, Twin-linked Autocannon

The plan is for the Inquisitor Lord and Retinue to fight with the Sisters Repentia, and use the homer to bring in far away Daemonhosts to aid in the combat.  Either the Marines go on foot or one squad in the Land Raider going for objectives.  Opinions?

Offline Kyurize

• o.o
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »
well First, The repentia squad is from the witch hunter squad and the daemonhost from dh, and i think the echleciarchy dont get along well with the relictors, on the other hand the repentia are pretty useless for the work you want them to do, because they will die before they get to combat.
I have some suggestions, if you want to use the Inquisitor lord in cc, you should take some meat shields, mainly acolytes(you can buy them some armor if you want them to resist more) and familiars, to at least hit with the power fist before they kill you, and ride them on the land rider to keep it safe until they get to combat. 
Drop the repentia, and with the points try to add a close combat squad from space marines, you might want to deploy something fast that can get to combat in specific places (to use the daemonhost to its best, keeping it safe from power fists) so you could add a bike squadron or a assault squadron, or maybe two of them so you can charge in two different places.
I dont like the master of the forge, but thats only me, and for the relictors i dont think the master would ever leave the laboratory with all the xenos relics that he have to work, so you could field a Captain with bike/jumpack to aid you cc squad
the predator and dread are fine
And the marines, i think you wont be using the melta gun unless you buy them a rhino, so you can drop it to have more points to spare and use them as fire support to you other units

hope that helps

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
Still illegal, I'm afraid. A WH inqusitor only unlocks WH units, you'd need a Deamonhunter inquisitor to bring deamonhosts. And since you only have one spare HQ slot to take an inquistor that limits you to one allied elite unit only.

If you really want more than token inqusitoral units then you're better off making an WH/DH army and using allied marines to add to that. You can still take stuff like landraiders, predators and dreadnoughts so you won't lose most of the marine units.

The plan is for the Inquisitor Lord and Retinue to fight with the Sisters Repentia...

Wouldn't they be more helpful if they fought the enemy instead of each other? :P

Seriously though, both are utterly rubbish in close combat that I woudn't bother at all. Repentia are one of the worst units in the whole of 40K, and inquisitors aren't far behind when it comes to combat. The inqusitor does a little better if you build him and his squad into a fire support unit with 3 heavy bolters and him having a pyscannon (switching to DH obviously) and then its just about ok...

You might say "Its only a fun army!" but seriously, how fun is it going to be to get stuffed every single game because the army is pathetically unable to do anything worthwhile. Not very. I do get accused of being a broken record about saying that the Inqusition stuff is rubbish but its the same answer I give everytime the same question comes around. :)

This thread might be intresting background reading for building this sort of army...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Abuk

• Hobbyst...
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
For your 'normal' SM force add only:

Inquisitor Lord (Hammerhand, Familiar and 3 Warriors with Flamers)
mounted in Land Raider (paint it in Inquisitional scheme).

Assassin

In 1500 it will be characterful and can work.
I wouldn't advice Vindicare as Eversor and Calidus are both better and as fluffy as the best sniper of 40k.
Do not take Repentia. Even Dark Eldar Scourges shine when compared to Repentia.. :)

OR

Inquisitor Lord (Tarot and whatever)
mounted in Land Raider (paint it in Inquisitional scheme).

Daemon Hosts

Hymril- you are THE broken record (:))and the link that you gave leads not to discussion that has any 'for' and 'against' but to topic where couple of people say 'you can't' and one person (and that is me of course ;)) tries to say 'you can'.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2009, 01:38:43 PM by Abuk »
..The Great Seductor strikes again..

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2009, 01:39:45 AM »
I did some research on Repentia Sisters and boy they seem to be unanimously terrible!  I dropped that squad, downgraded my Venerable Dread, and added in one more Daemonhost (up to 3 again) and an Ironclad Dreadnought for Close combat support.  Also, you can use Sisters Repentia in a Space Marines Army without having a Witchhunters Inquisitor, and it isn't breaking any other rules (to my knowledge).  I'm thinking of running with a Marine Relictor army with small Radical attachment.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2009, 05:27:54 AM »
Hymril- you are THE broken record (:))and the link that you gave leads not to discussion that has any 'for' and 'against' but to topic where couple of people say 'you can't' and one person (and that is me of course ;)) tries to say 'you can'.

Some people posted various opinons of units. Perhaps its an indication of how bad Inquisition units are if that thread is the one that comes closest to a discussion on the matter. :) I'll happily use a different thread for linking too if you know of one that would be better?

Also, you can use Sisters Repentia in a Space Marines Army without having a Witchhunters Inquisitor, and it isn't breaking any other rules (to my knowledge).  I'm thinking of running with a Marine Relictor army with small Radical attachment.

It gets ruled out in the Witch Hunters FAQ and in the Deamonhunters FAQ. Its the last (or near last) question on both which states that Deamonhunter Inquistors and Witch Hunter Inqusitors are different units and will not unlock choices from the other codex, (the question is in reference to assassins but the point is the same).
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »
In both FAQs it states that a Marine army can have allies from both detachments of the Inquisition, and Sisters Repentia do not require any other unit (ie. a Witchhunters Inquisitor) to be used in an allied army.

Edit:  In case I didn't clarify, the Inquisitor I currently have is a Daemonhunters Inquisitor Lord.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2009, 03:43:08 PM by Hobo Eric »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
In both FAQs it states that a Marine army can have allies from both detachments of the Inquisition, and Sisters Repentia do not require any other unit (ie. a Witchhunters Inquisitor) to be used in an allied army.

Oh, yeah. Fair enough then. I still wouldn't field them though! :D

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »
Aye, which is unfortunate because they certainly are a unit with character!  Possibly with a new Witchhunters or Inquisition update they might be cast in a better light.  I decided to cut the Daemonhosts to 2, and keep my army focus on long range firepower.  There are a few things about 'hosts that I am still a bit fuzzy about.  Are the 2 Daemonhosts worth 2 kill points or 1?  Even though Daemonhosts do not count as scoring units and cannot "hold" objectives, they still can contest right? (Sneaky last turn teleporting).  How does the Daemonhunters Teleport Homer work, or how could it work in 5th Edition (friendly games, willing to houserule).  And one more thing regarding the Emperor's Tarot:  Is the roll made a completely seperate roll from the roll to see who goes first, and if so does that mean that on anything but doubles you get that +1 to your "see who goes first" roll, or is it in regards to the actual roll to see who goes first.  I would be extremely grateful to anyone who could clear these up for me.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
Aye, which is unfortunate because they certainly are a unit with character!  Possibly with a new Witchhunters or Inquisition update they might be cast in a better light.

One day maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath for that as its not likely to be anytime soon!

Each Deamonhost is a seperate unit and counts as a killpoint.
They can contest normally (the wording about them not scoring isn't really relevant anymore because elite units can't be scoring anyway).

For teleport homers I would suggest using the same rules as used by Codex Space Marines, the ones in the DH codex isn't really compatible with the current deep strike rules.

Emperor's Tarot is a seperate roll off, done before the roll off for first turn.

Offline cannon1fodder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 06:58:58 PM »
If you have a second predator, I'd replace the dreadnought with a predator with side sponson lascannons. It'd be 5 points less than your dakka dreadnought and still do the same job.

I don't play Sisters of Battle but the Sisters Repentia seem to be a waste when you can have another Daemonhost, or get rhinos for your troops and bike for Master of the Forge so he can zip around and use his conversion beamer to maximum effect.

Offline Hobo Eric

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Unfortunately I do not have another Pred, but I added a Twin-linked lascannon to the Pred I do have (5 lascannons total, 3 twin-linked!).  So I think that should be fairly good for AV.  I am considering having 2 shooty Dreads but it would be nice to have one that can support my Daemonhosts in close combat, but with all the powerfists around......Anyway I think the best thing regarding the Master of the Forge is to bunker in a bolstered ruin with some Marines and make sure I get the maximum effect with the Conversion Beamer (42" - 72" S10 AP 1 Goodness), and another Marine squad in the Raider.