News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin Death Jester in 4 hours  (Read 2704 times)

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Harlequin Death Jester in 4 hours
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
As some people have known me over the years, I'm quite a slow painter.  Normally, it would take me about 7 hours or more to paint a model.  Even my latest defiler has taken me more than 20 hours of my time.  My new goal is to figure out not only how to paint better, but how to paint efficiently faster.  So I've decided to time myself as I paint random figures that is different from my model range and time myself.  Here is my result of a model in 4 hours timed.

Conclusion:  I think it's a good start for me.  I've reflected what caused me to waste so much time (for example just sitting and thinking of the result without putting a drop of paint.  Also, the condition of the brushes (most are 1 yr old synthetics) makes it difficult for sharp lines.  Details that I thought needed to be sacrificed can actually be added quickly if thought about it ahead of time.  Lastly, I need to be aware in areas I forgot to add detail.  There are some inking/washes at the metail wreck that I forgot to bring up with boltgun metal.

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
Re: Harlequin Death Jester in 4 hours
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
Wow, I couldn't get something that good if I took a whole day to focus on a single model. Looks great.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »
Ha, I've spent 8 hours on some models without them looking even half as good as that. Great going man, it's excellent.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »
DJ-of-E, you put the most of us to shame. I would not be able to meet your standards if I was painting all week.

Excellent!
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Cortez

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:08:12 PM »
Who cares how long you take if every freakin' one looks that great. Banned from being modest, you are!
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline SkullyChaos

• Hook Em' Horns!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
And here I was about to be proud of my meager efforts that took me about 5 hours to complete.
Your 4 hours is like my 10.... and it still wouldn't look that good
Almost enough to make me sick...

Offline BrassScorpion

• Best Painted Baneblade
  • Join Us!
    • My Warhammer Miniature Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Very nice looking, clean paint job.
"I hate movies where the men wear shorter skirts than the women." --- Mystery Science Theater 3000
"Better Smeg Than Dead." --- Red Dwarf

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »
4 hours of painting time....  I am afraid to ask what you can do if you decide to spend, say 40 hours. Beautiful model, I would smooth blending on the back, but then it will not be 4 hours anymore

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
4 hours of painting time....  I am afraid to ask what you can do if you decide to spend, say 40 hours. Beautiful model, I would smooth blending on the back, but then it will not be 4 hours anymore

Well, I haven't reached that point yet.  I just figuring out how to paint higher than average table-top quality so that I could play the freaken game  ;D

I mean, I love 40k in all aspects (except the prices).  However, don't expect my tactical skills to be as serious as my painting skills.  Half my games and its lists tend to be very fluffy rather than tactically sounding.  I can be really competitive in real life, but I just don't want to bring that feeling to my hobby.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:36:59 AM »
Man that's staggering. I can't believe you did that in 4 hours. I'm not much of a painter and it takes me about 4 hours to paint the flesh and armour/clothes of one of my Black Reach Boyz. I honestly can't see the difference between this model and your Red Corsair Defiler (know fear, lol)
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
fairly simple model, but 4 hours of work...lol, amazing result.
Lol almost makes me feel like a sucker when I think about those 2 entire days of painting my death jester...then again, that same jester made me win 4 warp spiders at the open paint...

Daimit when I see such models I think, daimit why doesn't this guy do a lil better...time influences a lot of our painting I guess.
If I did have time I would put more time in troops painting...

ahaha there's no way I'll ever be able to do this kind of model in 4 hours...
Just the daimboard patterns on ym, jester took me way over 4 hours...but then again it was smaller too.

I truly love the highlighting and blending, even though the back needs some lil extra finishing touches.

The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

I truly love the highlighting and blending, even though the back needs some lil extra finishing touches.

You know what's funny is that it's hard to estimate how long it takes to paint a certain area with a certain detail.  I had a plan in which estimates how long it takes to paint each part of the figure and gave myself a time line.  When I was painting the cloak, my cellphone alarm gave me a 5 minute warning and I was running out of time.  That back part of the cloak was done in less than 4 minutes.  Some things took longer and short than expected.

IMO, I've used Vallejo lines before (from a friend's workbench), I believe I could have finished this model with the exact quality in at least 30 minutes less. GW paints, in my opinion, is actually pretty difficult to work with.