News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Nova Cannon?  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
Re: Nova Cannon?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Tsar Bomba was the largest nuke ever tested, not the largest nuke to exist(raher, existed, tehre was only one, shame that they never built the original 100 mt one...)

You might be right, as I'm no expert in the field. I wiki-ed nuclear weapons yields to find a figure. In general nuclear bombs only get into the double digit MTs, don't they?

It doesn't really that much. Whether it's Little Boy, Tsar Bomba, or a nova cannon blast, you still don't want to be at ground zero.

Stop the planets rotation?

You'd have to attach the nova cannon to the planet at a 90 degree angle for that, and the force isn't enough anyway. Since Ordinatus Armageddon clearly isn't attached to a planet, as it in fact has tracks, firing a nova cannon would rather send it hurtling through the air like a toy car in a cyclone.

I was thinking of the recoil compensators you'd need to build into the Ordinatus. The nova cannon fires an actual shell - unlike laser weapons, there is a kinetic impact. Apparently it can be fired on a several mile long spaceship without sending the ship flying backwards, but those ships are very large and have considerable forward thrust to counterbalance. (One of those links mentioned attack speed for a Chaos cruiser being around 75% of lightspeed, I think.)

In an Ordinatus, I don't think you could fire a nova cannon without sending the structure flying. A lance, sure, since it's a recoilless laser, but not a nova cannon. Too big.

Perhaps the weapon in the Ordinatus is a smaller version? There are mentions of mass drivers and the like being mounted in ordinary weapons batteries, which would be an appropriate place for a sort of scaled down nova cannon. That way it could still be a starship-grade, nova cannon-esque weapon but a little more sane in scope.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 04:44:25 AM »
The ordinatus cannon is specifically described as an energy weapon, so I think you're right - it's a lance.

As noted above, a "lance strike" is a single, low end power shot at over 6000 km range, and through the entire planetare atmosphere. By comparison, the ordinatus is firing at point blank range. It's going to scythe straight through a titan Babylon 5 slicer-beam style without notably slowing down for the shields or amour........
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline EightyEight

• The Santa hat is here to stay.
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 02:13:01 PM »
the template is easily the size of a small moon(like phobos).
Well, I guess it depends what scale you're using. On a basketball-sized planet, a small template has to be almost the size of the US or Australia.
Are we as offensive as we might be?

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Tsar Bomba was the largest nuke ever tested, not the largest nuke to exist(raher, existed, tehre was only one, shame that they never built the original 100 mt one...)

You might be right, as I'm no expert in the field. I wiki-ed nuclear weapons yields to find a figure. In general nuclear bombs only get into the double digit MTs, don't they?

It doesn't really that much. Whether it's Little Boy, Tsar Bomba, or a nova cannon blast, you still don't want to be at ground zero.

Stop the planets rotation?

You'd have to attach the nova cannon to the planet at a 90 degree angle for that, and the force isn't enough anyway. Since Ordinatus Armageddon clearly isn't attached to a planet, as it in fact has tracks, firing a nova cannon would rather send it hurtling through the air like a toy car in a cyclone.

I was thinking of the recoil compensators you'd need to build into the Ordinatus. The nova cannon fires an actual shell - unlike laser weapons, there is a kinetic impact. Apparently it can be fired on a several mile long spaceship without sending the ship flying backwards, but those ships are very large and have considerable forward thrust to counterbalance. (One of those links mentioned attack speed for a Chaos cruiser being around 75% of lightspeed, I think.)

In an Ordinatus, I don't think you could fire a nova cannon without sending the structure flying. A lance, sure, since it's a recoilless laser, but not a nova cannon. Too big.

Perhaps the weapon in the Ordinatus is a smaller version? There are mentions of mass drivers and the like being mounted in ordinary weapons batteries, which would be an appropriate place for a sort of scaled down nova cannon. That way it could still be a starship-grade, nova cannon-esque weapon but a little more sane in scope.

It could be a recoiless weapon. The only way that would work is if the back was open, so when the thing is fired, there isn't any kick ala open-backed rpg.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 04:22:37 PM »
It could be a recoiless weapon. The only way that would work is if the back was open, so when the thing is fired, there isn't any kick ala open-backed rpg.

But the nova cannon doesn't use any sort of explosion to propel its projectile, so I don't think that would work/apply.

Would a nova cannon generate recoil though? It use 'gravimetric impellers' right? I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to be, but I would assume that it involves using artificially generated gravity to accelerate the projectile, which seems like it might not create any recoil...

Although come to think of it the rules do pretty explicity state that there's a lot of recoil don't they?  :P

Well in that case, maybe while there's a lot of recoil, there isn't nearly as much as one would expect...?
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
But the nova cannon doesn't use any sort of explosion to propel its projectile, so I don't think that would work/apply.

Would a nova cannon generate recoil though? It use 'gravimetric impellers' right? I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to be, but I would assume that it involves using artificially generated gravity to accelerate the projectile, which seems like it might not create any recoil...

Although come to think of it the rules do pretty explicity state that there's a lot of recoil don't they? 

Well in that case, maybe while there's a lot of recoil, there isn't nearly as much as one would expect...?

There's a humungous amount of recoil - hence its mounted along the drive axis.....
No matter how you accelerate a projectile, you'll aways get recoil the other way.
Fortunate that the Ordinatus 'nova cannon' and the fleet 'nova cannon' aren't the same thing......
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685