News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60231 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: My Aeldari and Aelf
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »
Thanks guys orks are just about done, so starting to arrange an battle for them, but got the flu.. Turns out it was good inspiration to finish a batch of pox walkers :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
Pox Walkers look great, Mage, well done!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #322 on: May 5, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »
Had my first outing with the Ork hord. 5 players 1k points each, 4 Orks players and one Dark Angels player.

Badmooon Orks bought artillery, bikes and some deff koptas
Death Skull bought Lootas on foot, shooters in a trukk, nobz with Warboss in a Trukk, a couple of large squads of choppa boyz.
Evil Suns brought the mechs, Deff dread, kila kans, some lootas in a trukk, 2 warbosses (one in Mega armour) with a bunch of choppa boyz.
Goff, mass infantry with a weird boy, flashgitz and lots of grots around an artillery, with a warboss on bike.

Dark Angels brought the big guns, lascannon dreadnought, devastator squad with missile launchers, couple of tac squads, and a unit of terminators.

Scenario was 4 player, one on each board edge, and the goffs deploying in the middle holding the object in a building. Whoever held the relic at the end of Turn 5 wins the game. Each army was broken into 3 roughly even sizes, and each turn 1 of these chunks would come on for their armies deployment zone, with the goff re-enforcements coming on at a random edge, determined by the scatter dice.

oh, 5th Ed rules too :)

Was a lot of fun, the Weird boy teleported the flash gits behind the Dark Angels, as pay back for nuking his artillery, but scattered into the forest and they all died. My Lootas had a bad roll trying to whittle down a hord of evil sun choppa's heading my way, then got blasted by the Devastator squad, but still had some left over.

The Goff random deployment rolls meant my Lootas got rush from behind and slaughtered, my and his warboss ended up going toe to toe, they ended up nuking each other, which was awesome.

The Goffs other reserves ended up rushing the Dark Angels, so he got some pay back in there too :)

Mean while the rest of the Evil suns were running towards the Bad Moon, but those deff koptas had a good roll and dropped a good chunk of them. The squad eventually died out except for the nob and war boss in Mega armour, the nob made rush for the relic and got it (Goff had been killed off by Dark angels by that stage). While the lone megaboss went a number of rounds against the biker boyz, eventually it died, but too late for the bikers to do anything about the relic.

The Evil sun lootas shot up my Shoota boyz Trukk which promptly ram shackled into his nob holding the relic, so I got hold of it on turn 4, only to have his lootas and the DA terminators kill my shoota boyz off and run away with the relic.

Everyone had a blast as it was surprisingly even, random luck kept the laughs going especially with the war boss in Mega armour pulling all those save. Having the risk/reward system of 5th just works.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #323 on: May 6, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Cool Bat Rep, Mage, I'm glad that everyone had a good time. Also glad to hear that your Orks are performing well! So, what's next on the painting table for you?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #324 on: May 6, 2019, 10:59:14 PM »
Cool Bat Rep, Mage, I'm glad that everyone had a good time. Also glad to hear that your Orks are performing well! So, what's next on the painting table for you?

Picked up a Dark Imperium box set to help flesh out the mini's from the conquest mags, so I'm doing a variation on the blood ravens theme. Blood Ravens seem to make heavy use of psykers in their planning and on the battle field so, kind of aligns with my Eldar on fluffy level.Messing around with the bases at the moment.

Might sell the Death Guard, they dont float my boat and well I opened "that" cuboard and saw my build queue...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2019, 01:39:41 AM »
Soo not done yet, but I've been busy making some Blood Ravens, but well on their way :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
They're looking really nice. I love the gold tips on the laurels on the banner, faded off of the green looks great. I like the red you're using, it photographs well. 8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
I always wanted to see a Blood Ravens army on the table. Glad that my dream is finally realized  ;D. They look great, Mage, really love that Banner on the Ancient too. You've been painting quite a storm since your last post! ;D

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2019, 04:48:55 AM »
Thanks guys, will be building these guys up with the stuff from warhammer conquest magz a bunch of us are collecting. So will have to have some marine skirmishes at some point :)

I like the red you're using, it photographs well. 8)

I was surprised at how well it came out, leadbetcher with multiple layers of vallejos transperant red, then used their metallic black airbrush version as a wash, seems to work well, just trying to find the right mix to use for highlights.

The librarian which drops next month will be interesting since it should be blue.

Stoked that I managed to get hold of Artel's version of Angelo though. Looks sooo much better than FW version, and sooo much cheaper.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:15 AM »
OK so quick comparison

So 10 is Contrast Colour Talassar Blue $11.50, 13 is Vallejo Model color Transp, blue 70.938 @ $4.95. I didn't give 13 long enough to dry between coats. Both are on white, primer, with Model color steel.

Super quick job with Contrast, 1 layer of wash on the helmet and robes, but nothing over the rest. To fit in with the rest of the army, it needs a shade to darken it up.

It's a solid option to use, but since its transparent, it can be tricky to fix mistakes, as you kind of have to do an entire section again if you want it super consistent. I've yet to use the Model Color Blue transparent, but I didn't have that problem with Vallejo's red.

Light source is the yellowy orange, its a lot brighter in daylight.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #330 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
You can always touch up mistakes with the undercoat you used, then reapply about two coats of the contrast over it. I find that works the best. Ulthuan grey is what I've been using so far. Working pretty well.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
Well couldn't resist the Apoc knight bundle to complement the marines and Admech armies.

Still needs some washing and edging and a bit more colour on the base but its getting there.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
Hi MAge, that mini-knight looks great! I love the gold and bronze scheme on it. I agree, some washes and edge highlighting will make that mech pop, and it'd look awesome. Looks great as it is now though :).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
Update on the Blood ravens, the old space marines stuff has been going cheap on the used market down here, so I went a little nuts. Went even nuttier trying to get them table ready I time for their first outing, played them as blood angels in a 5th ed 2v2 3k a side game, BA+sister vs Orks… that's a lot of bloody Orks… we lost but, we made them pay dearly.. sooo many flamers lol.

Still prefer my Eldar, but what I would give to have an assault tank

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2019, 10:22:44 PM »
You're a machine, Mage ;D!!! I'd seriously burn myself a 1/3 of the way through painting that army in the same time frame! You sir, deserve an award in dedication!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »
I second that! 8) the army looks beautiful.

As for the assist vehicle, I've been hoping the same thing for years, even built one years ago when we had build it yourself points system. Wish I had pics of it, I called it a dragons breath. I split 2 falcons apart and widened it and turned the back section around aiming forward and moved the pilot cockpit up where the turret was. Lots of putty work and sanding later, it was beautiful. Used the land raider assault ramp rules. Holy cow, that must have been in late 3rd ed or 4th ed. Once those rules were gone it became terrain and gone after that. Hmm? I have a couple of un-built falcons in the hobby room, hmm, maybe.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
You're a machine, Mage ;D!!!

lol, batch painting sucks, but gets the job done, it was enough to look good on the table top, but most of them still need washes and highlights, and the basing to be painted and dry brushed. Kind of thankful for the knights as a distraction.

As for the assist vehicle....

That sounds awesome Dread, and alot of work lol, would have been terrifying to have Banshee's screaming out of it :)

So, edge highlights on infantry I get because the models are so small, but do you find the edge highlights on the knights a bit too much? The pictures in the imperial knights codex kind of look like there is a neon strip around every hatch lol (The picture is far worse than the one on the website https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Knight-Paladin). So do you guys go full on edging with big models, or do you go for a more subtle edging?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
As far as edge high lighting, my view is that natural high lights on big models works better for me. Small models it helps intensify the look but big models it really seems like it over intensifies them. It's like your car or house, nature makes the high lights and shadows, we don't edge them. But this is just my ideas. I did a Dark Angels Bane Blade years ago and edged it, blah didn't like it so just went with the DA green, looked so much better.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
As far as edge high lighting, my view is that natural high lights on big models works better for me. Small models it helps intensify the look but big models it really seems like it over intensifies them.

I've found the same thing, and i actually have to resort to totally different techniques when painting Tanks versus panting Infantry because of that.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #339 on: July 28, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »
Some progress, tried a few edges with gloss varnish, it makes a little bit of difference, but not really worth the effort.