News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Sarge is acting strangely : only once or in each movement phase?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline MurekZar

• Armies: Eldars (Craftworld & Harlequins), Nids
When I first read the special rule of the Parasite of Mortrex, I understood that it would affect each enemy outflanking unit only in their first movement phase.

However when I re-read the rule carefully I see no restriction to "first movement phase only".  Could it mean that ripper swarms could be spawned at each movement phase of a unit that has come on the table by outflanking ?!!!  This seems too good to be true...

The restrictive interpretation seems to come from the simple sequencing of the two first sentences, and the use of the singular for "Movement phase".  Maybe it's because English is not my native language...

What do you say ?

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: The Sarge is acting strangely : only once or in each movement phase?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
Interesting. I never saw that. Re-reading it, it does seem that it occurs every turn. It also has no clause that states that you stop testing when a squad has been created...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
I've read over the rule and I am not convinced that the enemy has to keep testing. If they meant every movement phase, they would have said something along the lines of, "...must pass a toughness test at the end of the movement phase (test every phase)...". As is, there is no sense of plurality in the text of the rule. I can certainly see why the confusion might arise, but interpreting it that way would seem to be an extreme case of rules lawyering.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline MurekZar

• Armies: Eldars (Craftworld & Harlequins), Nids
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
I've read over the rule and I am not convinced that the enemy has to keep testing. If they meant every movement phase, they would have said something along the lines of, "...must pass a toughness test at the end of the movement phase (test every phase)...". As is, there is no sense of plurality in the text of the rule. I can certainly see why the confusion might arise, but interpreting it that way would seem to be an extreme case of rules lawyering.

I feel that way too.  I put the same question on another forum.  I've got answers roughly in a 3 to 1 proportion, (3 "only once", 1 "multiple times").

I think the rule is poorly written, and should be more specific.  As it is, the "once" interpretation is based on : use of singular / fluff / intention guessing; a litteral interpretation ("lawyering"...) points towards multiple times.

Since I play Tyranids, I will stick to the "only once" interpretation.