News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My 2000 pt first step into the world of consuming worlds  (Read 672 times)

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
This is my first try in constructing a Nid army list. My concept is built around what tyranids are known best for, running up and slicing the enemy to pieces. The raveners are intended to deep strike behind enemy units that are poised to be charged by the gaunt squads. Thus max effect of the bitting and snapping of the attacks and to cut off falling back units to be inevitably eaten alive.  And this is my first list so Im not so sure whats the "gos" and "no gos" of tryanid army list making.

Garm Hive Fleet 2000

HQ:
Hive Tyrant "Zasz" 170 pts
Enhanced Senses, Flesh hooks, bio- plasma, Toxin Sacs, Venom Cannon, Scything Talons

Elites: 380 pts
10X Genestealers w/ scuttlers
10X Genestealers w/ scuttlers

Troops: 720pts

12X Gaunts w/ devourers, adrenal glands (+1 WS)

12X Hormagaunts w/ flesh hooks, adrenal glands (I)

Fast Attack: 432 pts
3X Raveners w/ 2 sets of scything talons

Heavy Support: 298
2X Zoanthrope w/ Synapse Creature, Warp Blast
Carnifex "Rosie" w/ Adrenal Glands (WS), Crushing Claws, Scything talons, Extend Carapace, Tusked, Toxin Sac, Tail Weapon (Mace).   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:08:03 AM by 0verKill_235 »
Death before Dismount!

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
Re: My 2000 pt first step into the world of consuming worlds
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:49:02 AM »
Hello and welcome to the The Great Devourer.  First off, Tyranids are what YOU think they are, so the best idea is to take the advice, but obviously in the end, if you don't see it that way, then go with what you think is cool. 

Hive Tyrant -  typically you want a more singular role for your tryant.  Two sets of scything talons with wings and whatever biomorphs you see fit (some like him base, some like a lot more).  Two Twin Linked Devourers (Dakka) is the next set up with wings.  12 shots at S5 (with the Toxins Sacs), re roll miss and to wounds.  Lastly is the walking tyrant comprised of ranged weaponry.  Some like Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, some like a mix, Up to you.  See TYRANT TACTICA, by Yuengling Dragon (spelling?), it pretty much covers the basic three set ups. 

Genestealers-  Typically EVERY person has genestealers and for a good reason.  You might want to thin the squad down to 8 to avoid unwieldy squads as well as tieing up your hopes for your stealers getting to combat on ONE fleet roll.  Carapace is an upgrade that I would def. recommend.  Having a 4+ save can mean the squad getting waxed and it staying alive when MEQ's or Guardians shoot at you.  Scuttlers can be good, but I personnaly don't use them.

Gaunts-  I would DEF. drop the Adrenal glands, as well as the devourers.  Give them fleshborers and keep them cheap.  16 gaunts with fleshborers (s4 living ammo) is 96 points.  Do the math. 

Hormagaunts-  The ONLY biomorph I would EVER consider giving them is Adrenal glands for the I boost.  That is IT.  Keep them cheap.  The added Initiative means that, say you are attacking MEQ's, well the more you can drop, the less they will be striking back.  MEQ's need 4's to hit, 3's to wound and you have a 6+ save.  You strike simo, and half your brood can get waxed.  Just my take on it.

Raveners-  Ok, that is a lot of points on a 5+ save.  I don't believe in being a point communist either, I look at a unit regardless of points and if it is battlefield effective, then go for it.  I would only run Raveners in squads of two, MAYBE three.  You Don't want a Dev. Squad with H. Bolters, mowing down your expensive unit in one turn of shooting.  Plus it gives you more fleet rolls.  Scything Talons and Rending Claws is the way to go on them as well.  5 attacks on the charge a piece, something is going to die.  My recommendation is to drop it to two squads of three or three squads of two.  9 raveners, although fun, would be VERY hard to play and you will likely get hosed.

Zoanthropes-  A pretty standard set up.  Good choice.

Carnifex-  Ok, this one the best way to go is to think what you want him for, and listen to the advice of  others, but in the end, make your own mind up.  Some people think that he is ONLY good at being a gun platform with a Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler (x2 S10 shots, x1 S8 Large Blast), and he is good at it by all means.  Others think he is good in Melee.  With Adrenal Glands, Toxic Miasma, and Claws, you hit MEQ's on 3's, and wound on twos.  You also have 2/3 chance of getting more attacks than base, and have 1/6 chance in getting less attacks than base.  Lastly others think that he is the perfect ace in the sleeve.  Give him claws and a ranged weapon.  Let him shoot every turn in, until melee, then assault, destroy you target, repeat.  Just try it out different ways, and see which way works best for you.

OVERALL:  Looks like you are on a good start, but you need more Synapse.  At the Very Minimum at 1750 you want at least 4-5 creatures, if not squads providing synapse. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:52:41 AM by Lazarus15 »
Kings of Khemri versus The Master of Change.

Warseer Member Charred Remains about the 5th Ed. "No Retreat Rule" :

"But this 'no retreat rule' thing now just doesn't have any drama.The rule executes with the speed of an oncoming sore throat. It's a slow dickover. Kinda like doing your taxes. I'd vote to change it."

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »
First of all, Genestealers are a TROOPS choice, not an ELITE choice.  Second, thake Lazarus' suggestion about Extended Carapace.  The added durability it provides is simply too good to pass up.  They will be a priority target for enemy fire, so having a 4+ Save is imperative against AP 5 Weaponry.

Since you'll have to drop some Gaunts from your Troops slots for the Genestealers, use those points to purchase Warriors for your Elite slots.  They provide additional Synapse coverage and are extremely versatile.  You can make them shooty or CC monsters, whatever your preference.

I suggest changing your Ravenors a little bit.  Instead of 3 squads of 3... go with 2 squads of 4.  Even numbers work out better with the game mechanics (scoring units, etc.).  Use the extra points from the one Ravenor you'll be dropping to upgrade one set of Scything Talons to Rending Claws... it will be well worth it.

Hope some of that helps!
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Smellofwetdog

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Lazarus's advice on your tyrant was good advice, define a roll for him and gear him up for that role.  If you want a lightning fast attack element supported by your tyrant consider giving him wings, toxin sacs, and 2 scything talons.  If you go that route make sure you buy some more synapse before you do that though as your flyrant will be outpacing a good portion of your army.  By the way I like your name for him as well... did you choose that one because starcraft 2 was announced recently?

I like broods of 10 when it comes to genestealers, lots of people have their pet biomorphs for stealers.  Some like scuttlers, some like EC, scything talons are pretty much universally a bad idea as are feeder tendrils.  Probably the single greatest point you can learn about tyranids is that the more bugs you can get for the fewest points the better.  Sure you can bring a stealer that costs 28 points or whatever but that's getting close to almost twice what you would've paid normally.  Keep bugs cheap and you'll field more of them which is key with genestealers with rending attacks.  So try out scuttlers and EC, but also realize vanilla genestealers are a perfectly viable option and often preferred since they're still a lights out CC brood.

Gaunts should be in broods of 14-16 and I would bring 2 max, probably only one.  Fleshborers are superior to devourers since you get ap5 str 4, devs have 2 shots true, but with low str and no ap IMO they're not worth it on gaunts.  WS upgrades are pointless on gaunts as well, the biggest advantage to gaunts is that they are cheap, and they can still tie up units and inflict casualties, keep your advantage and keep them cheap.

I would drop the biomorphs on hormagaunts as well, the point of hormagaunts is to tie up enemy units so other stuff (ie genestealers/HT/warriors/raveners) can kill it.  Brood size is good but I would probably only bring two broods.

Raveners are great, but you're bringing a lot, plus the models aren't cheap either (if that's a consideration for you).  The problem with putting raveners in big broods is that they aren't cheap (points wise) and when a brood of 4 gets shot probably all 4 are going to die since they can't absorb fire that well, no tyranids really can.  Bring 3 broods of 1 each and invest the rest of those points in warriors.

Extended carapace on a carnifex is probably a waste since yo wont get a save from 90% of the weapons your opponent uses on your carnifex anyway.  Carnifex are slow with no means of mitigating that factor, you can't fleet or infiltrate them, and they don't hide well.  A carnifex most likely wont last long enough to get to grips with enemies, however a carnifex can wield 2 big guns and shoot at anything he wants since he's a monstrous creature.  The biggest strength of the carnifex in 4th ed is as a gun platform IMO, give him a barbed strangler, venom cannon, enhanced senses, and maybe an extra wound if you're really worried about him.  He'll be cheaper and probably more effective, plus he brings needed shooting to your force.  If you really need CC fexes in your force keep them really cheap like under 115 point cheap that way you don't lose much when it gets roasted in 1 turn of shooting and that cheap serves as a fire magnent more than a viable cc threat. 

Warriors, you need these.  2 broods of 3 with deathspitters or devourers with a barbed strangler in each one and rending claws for everyone.  If you really want cc warriors I'd go 6 or so with scything talons, rending claws and leaping and EC on either brood.

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »
My standard army has scuttling genestealers (4 broods) and gaunts (2 broods), and I really enjoy the extra speed that scuttlers give my army.  However, in your army, it doesn't fit well.  Your genestealers are going to be ahead of the rest of your units, and your opponent will be more than happy to shoot them first.  I tend to lose a 2 units of genestealers in the first round of my opponent's shooting, but can usually get the other 2 units in combat the next turn.  In your case, unless you have a good amount of cover to move through, you might find yourself without any genestealers after that first round of shooting.

Everyone else's comments are bang on so you're getting a lot of good advice I think.  Cheers!
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
In my army, I have a multi-role carnifex.  I really never have a problem with him reaching combat, but you can't just stick him out there for your opponents army to blast at.  Be smart and you won't have too much of a problem to get him in. 
Kings of Khemri versus The Master of Change.

Warseer Member Charred Remains about the 5th Ed. "No Retreat Rule" :

"But this 'no retreat rule' thing now just doesn't have any drama.The rule executes with the speed of an oncoming sore throat. It's a slow dickover. Kinda like doing your taxes. I'd vote to change it."