News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I hate networking sooo much  (Read 352 times)

Offline Valkor

• Might is Right
I hate networking sooo much
« on: June 10, 2003, 12:44:10 AM »
On saterday night-sunday afternnon, I threw a LAN party. Due to the issues with the networkign card on my desktop (POSS) I had to use my dad's laptop (most games wer played were classic, ei Quake 3, CS, and SC) so his lp could run it. However, we had to alter the properties slightly (we then reset them.)

However, the mfing network stopped working. It took me and my dad half a day to get my computer connected to the Hub and functional (we baught a new lan card, and connceted my computer to the hub instead of with a direct USB to the RCA modem.)

However, the laptop still has issues. The D-link wireless networking card is picking up the signal from the HUB, and the Hub is definately getting signals from the net, but for some reason my dads LP cannot connect, even though it is DEFINATELY connecting with the HUB.

So... any advice on how to get it to work in the morning? (I am only posting this out of spite, as regarldess of advice it will work manana.)

Offline Ilfirin Noore

• Ancient
  • Mess with the best, die like the rest...
Re:I hate networking sooo much
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 12:58:04 AM »
My friend has a small network set up as well, and he has problems all of the time. I think he's given up now, so all we can play is StarCraft. :P
No Wild hockey makes Ilfirin a dull boy U of M hockey fan!

I could be weak, I could be senseless.
I could be just like you.
I could be fake, I could be stupid.
You know I could be just like you.

Help support the Biel-tan Project! Submissions are appreciated emailed or PMed to Ranger Asteria or myself!

Offline franklin_d23

• -franklin_d23-
    • My 40k Site
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 04:41:19 AM »
 step one is obviously to make all workgroups the same, but you probably know that.

changing everyone's ip to 192.168.0.(whatever you like)
is a really good thing to do as it works 95% of the time no matter what (as long as you have the hardware plugged in  ::))

-+-
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 04:43:17 AM by franklin_d23 »

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 06:52:49 PM »
hubs are dumb networking equipment. that is, they only pass the bits. most faults with a network are with the physical connections, if those are fine, run command.com (not a webpage) and type in "ping (the other computers ip address)", but without brackets. that is a test to use to see if the connection is good. make sure nobody has the same ip address. make sure nobody has messed with the mac address on their NIC (network interface card). make sure everyone has the ip address of 10.0.1.whatever with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, make sure nobody has an ip address of 10.0.1.255 or 10.0.1.0, because those are invalid. if you do that, you should be fine. i would know, i do Cisco networking acadamy and i have all but finished semester 1, which is where you learn this sort of stuff.

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 08:06:16 PM »
I hate networking sooo much

Me too.  But, there is one good thing about wireless networking...

FREE INTERNET ACCESS (via your local neighbor).  Of course I would never do anything like that...
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."