News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Custards new terrain set. (getting pic heavy)  (Read 5390 times)

Offline custard

Custards new terrain set. (getting pic heavy)
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:18:53 AM »
*edit* Save starting a yet another new one, I've merged my old "opinion on my tree" thread to encompass my new terrain set. (which the trees will be a part of anyways)

New stuff starts at post no.8

25.11.07 More updates post 16

I know I got a few topics on the go atm, but for some reason I'm currently really enthusiastic.  ;D On to business.

I've got this here tree, which, if it worked out was going to go onto either a display base or a Webgate terrain piece. As it was my first try, I wasn't too worried if I cocked it up big stylee. As it happens, it will be getting binned. (I've probably enough materials for another 10 or so.) The structure is not solid enough for a gaming piece, just made of wire, seafoam and flexibark. The scatter on the foliage was a test, there's too much yellow on it, I'm going to stick to the red and light green.

How big should I make the trunk?? This one looks too narrow, although it's probably not far off on a realistic scale. I'll be making the next one from wire bulked out with super sculpey, so will be able to get a more solid, thicker gaming piece. (mini for scale.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:23:43 AM by custard »

Offline CheeEEEse

• roar?
Re: Opinion on my trunk!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:25:46 AM »
Doesn't look too bad to me.  I agree there's a little too much yellow, but as far as the trunk goes, I don't think there's a set standard.  There's a lot of different types of trees just here on earth, with many different thicknesses and shapes, then when you factor in how many thousands of planets there are to fight on in the 41st millenium, you could have quite a variety even on one board.  Obviously you don't want the trunk to look silly thin or stupidly thick, but I don't think this one is that far out there.

Out of curiosity, how did you make the "top" of the tree (the green part).

Offline custard

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:48:27 AM »
I know there's no "standard" for things in nature, most of the time it comes up with much weirder things that we would think of. I just didn't know whether to go REALLY big, around 25mm ish. I don't do tourneys and have never played in stores, me and my mates just play in our little group (i tend to do most of the terrain), just wasn't too sure what an average size would be.

I got all the stuff I've used there from a UK supplier called Antenotici's, http://www.barrule.com/workshop/products.html, loads of real nice quality terrain materials, also some good guides aswell. They mainly focus on display style stuff, but it's easily transferable to wargaming imo. The green on it is clump foliage. You tear it into usable sizes then drop it onto a pre-glued branch. It actually looks a bit better than the photo in real life.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:27:03 AM »
Hey Custard!! :)

I like your efforts mate, as a construction it looks really life-like and i wouldn't be too concerned about how thick the trunk is....the more important dimension is how high the tree is.  Personally, trees seem to look "too big" for the game after 8" at the most, so i'd limit your tree height to around this figure.....post some pics up when you've done some more mate, eh?

-Reborn. :)

Offline custard

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »
You know, I hadn't even thought about the height.  :D I think that's maybe what made the it look a bit odd to me.

Next one I think will be around 2/3 the height, with a slightly thicker trunk.

I'll turn this thread into a terrain wip once I get something substantial going, I've just been cutting a few MDF bases for 3 ideas. Tree will definately be going on a webway gate now. :)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »
Tree will definately be going on a webway gate now. Smiley

Yeah!!  Enhance the natural look Custard.  Eldar work with nature, not against it....go for the trees...

-Reborn. :)

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
i like it. i think its kinda to tall BUT on the other hand you got redwoods that are VERY tall. keep it up!
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Windowlicker

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:19 AM »
tall=good.

some of our trees are useless as LOS goes straight over them.

Looks good as well, but i think your right about a tiny too much red/yellow on it.
But hey, it's alien int it?

Offline custard

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:15:48 AM »
Not started on the new tree yet, but I have been working on where it's going. (thanks for comments btw, so, not too tall and not too small, got it.) :D

Eldar Warpgate, early wip; made from MDF, foamboard, polystyrene and plasticard. (nothing glued yet) Still lots of shaping/filling to do, and I need to find some large gems from somewhere...

Thought it would be fun to be able to pay 50 points or so, and be able to deepstrike one unit through it with no scatter. Place it on the center of the board and scatter it 2d6 3 or 4 times so not to give an unfair advantage....

and to be completely fair about it, I've also got a Chaos summoming circle on the go for my main opponent. (so he can have one too.) This one so far is a flat piece of foamboard with grooves cut right down to the base, with W+N thick gel medium painted over the flat surfaces. (currently drying) I intend to paint this one as though the rock has pushed up through the ground, edged with mud, moving to dead grass, then (if it will all fit on) a standard grass edging to tie it in with the planned board. The base on this one is a little thick really, but it was all I had to hand. Still, at least it's going to be rock solid!!

...and a standard ruined building. Not much to look at atm. Still needs a few more walls me thinks.

These are the start of a completely new terrain set I'll be building, which will be based on an old abandoned (for reasons unknown) Imperial settlement, over grown with greenery, just in the process of being raped by Chaos forces. Unfortunately, it was also an Eldar maiden world, now the Eldar want it back!!!!

*edit*

Just added some Vallejo pumice where the grass/earth will be. So, white bits will be grey, and grey bits will be green..

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:37:51 AM by custard »

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
Re: Custards new terrain set. (getting pic heavy)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
the new stuff looks great!! I cant wait to see more
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline custard

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
the new stuff looks great!! I cant wait to see more

Thanks, here's more.  ;)

Did the lava thing in the chaos grooves. (is that a song type? Should be if it isn't!! Get down with the Chaos Grooooooooove!!!!!  ;D)
Flat sections were gone over with very dark brown, then drybrushed slightly with Mecharite Red. Earth area painted over with thinned down dark brown, will but a dark brown ink wash in there once it's dried.
Still undecided whether to blend it into grass, will have to see later. Wish it wasn't on such a square base now, oh well, we lives and learns.....

Washed and drybrushed the earth surround and gloss varnished the lava. The colour in the latest pic is more accurate.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:07:57 PM by custard »

Offline Siris

« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
Those are amazing I wish I could do things like that. Keep up the good work.

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2007, 10:04:20 PM »
very good! very good.

great painting it works great!!
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Mr Wall

• British by birth, Welsh by the grace of God
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
hugely impressed

the painting has really bought that circle to life
Design a squad competition, take a look, competition ends 31st Oct  http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=861&topic=147003.0

Cymru am byth

What is the malted liquor? what gets your drunker quicker?  what comes in bottles and in cans?
BEER!

To be born Welsh is to be born privileged, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but with music in your heart and passion in your soul

Offline The Hobo Hunter

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 05:12:54 AM »
To be brutally honest, the mound of dirt looks a bit meh. In complete contrast, the chaos icon it contains looks like it should be patented as the new McAwesome. Damn I wish I could paint lava like that.
We have more men than you have bullets!

Offline custard

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 10:21:37 AM »
Well Hobo, I wasn't that keen either. Tbh, I wasn't sure how to do it, so I made a new one.  :D Went with a mix of brown and green flock to try and show it the grass was dying.

Haven't finished off the lava yet though...

A bit of swamp. Don't use GW water effects for large areas, this still has some areas that have dried white (not as much as on the pic, a lot of that is reflection), so far I think I've done somewhere around 6 layers, with probably another 2 to go.... :-\

Woods with new improved trees. I'm happier with these and were much easier to make. (2nd one has an underground ammo store type thing to use as an objective if wanted)

Only have 2 trees finished atm, and there's another 3 wood bases (which are just flocked areas so I didn't bother posting them), so another 7 trees to make. I attached them by fixing some brass rod into the base and a piece of wire into the trunk of the tree, this means I can remove them for storage. This pic shows the seafoam out of the box before trimming aswell.

Offline enjar

• Battlefield Architect
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »
Those Trees are absolutely beautiful.  Very, very nice. 

Offline custard

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Finished off the first batch of trees (finally)

They've had a good few coats of misted scenic cement (glue to you and me) and a few coats of gloss varnish. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep the scatter on them. They'll cover an area of about 1'x2' (or 2'x2' at a push) when used as the boundary for a woodland area.

Last pic is how I store them.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »
 :o

wow.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Insulin Junkie

• Death or Glory! Mostly Death...
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »
How did youi paint the lava!?  :o That is just amazingly awsome.... I'm speechless  :-X

Insulin Junkie
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

It really sucks when a Baneblade kills sixteen Berzerkers in one turn...