News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fixin the krooza mission 1 Orks Vs Guard  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Fixin the krooza mission 1 Orks Vs Guard
« on: October 3, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
My Army list:

- Warboss – Big Chopper, attack Squig, Cybork body, Eavy Armour
 - Big Mek – Kustom Force Field, Power Klaw
 - 6 Nobz – 1 PK, 1PK & BP, 2 BC, 2 scortch
 - Battlewagon – Deff rolla, 2 big shootas, grot riggers, armour plates, plank
 - 11 Truck ‘ard boyz – nob – pk and Bp
 - Truck
 - 11 Truck boyz – nob – pk and Bp
- Truck
 - 9 Kommandos – Nob – Pk & Bp
 - 3 Killa Kans – skorcha
 - Deff Dread – 2x Dread close combat Weapons, armour plates, grot riggers,
 - 27 Boyz – Nob – PK, Boss Pole

1500pts

Pre match:
Orks win the roll and choose to deploy first for first turn and to push deployment forward.

Hoping my opponent doesn’t seize the initiative, I start my ‘ard boyz as far forward as I can. This might have been a massive risk, but I was hoping that the area BLOS terrain would save them for a lot of fire. Also being ‘ard boyz my hope was although they’d probably be overwhelmed, in the mean time they could cause enough havoc to cover the rest of my army.

The guard deployed facing, pretty confident he would be out of charge range, and being able to deploy an entire platoon gives him a lot of fire power to bring the orks to a halt. Cleverly (I thought so anyway) his autocannons and grenade launchers were set up to fire either side of the fork. The Heavy Weapon teams mirrored each other either side of that hoping to give as best cover of the field as they could.  I think the trees on the hill on his right were tempting, but maybe a little too close.

The Platoon Command (in the Chimera) contains 4 flamers, this I believe was insurance for any orks that ended up in the open, bad times...

Here it goes...
Guard rolls a.......6! Initiative is stolen, oh dear

Turn 1

Guard move on the rest of his army, admitting to me that the fire lanes are difficult to use without blocking his own units. The infantry blob got in the way of his many vehicles. Moves of note were the medusa into the tress, rolling a 4 to a sigh of relief and not sticking itself there forever. Also, playing the angles he gets a long shot from his vendetta at the sitting (tr)dukk. Annoyingly he also covered the far right alley with a Flak tank.

The shooting started with the vendetta missing wildly with all of its shots, even though we realised later, it should have only taken one anyway...
Unfortunately for me the platoon command chimera’s multi laser stunned the truck seconds before 3 well placed missiles blew it to bits. Two, slow (not so) ‘ard boyz, didn’t jump out towards the enemy in time and became part of the flying debris.

To finish his turn off the commander showed the imperials training at its best ordering a first rank fire! Second rank fire! Killing 2 more softies.

Bottom

Well that could have gone worse.

Brushing off the dust and occasional ork limb, the ‘ard boyz advanced towards the closest thing, hoping to reach the safety of assault. If all goes well they’d stop a massive S10 pie plate hitting my busy lines each turn...

The rest of the hoard advanced at a run down the right flank hoping to refuse as much of the enemy fire as possible. (I realise that I’ve made my opponents target priority very easy, with the varying speeds of the units, but I’m feeling lucky today. )

The ‘ard boys out of charge range stood ready to weather another turn of fire.

Guard 1 Orks 0

Turn 2

The Guard brought their flanks forward in something of a pincer movement bringing them to bare.

Shooting started with another order for the platoon to rank fire on the ‘ard boyz, causing a massive 14 wounds and 6 kills. A chimera’s multi laser then killed the last boy, leaving just the nob. Who was promptly assassinated by 3 krak missiles.

Starting on the remaining Trukk the Vendetta let rip, hitting 3 times, penetrating twice and glancing one, but wait! The KFF steals the energy from the penetrating results, leaving just a shaken glancing hit. The orks on board enjoy the light show and barely notice the extra wobble to their already very bumpy ride! As a final firework, a direct hit from the medusa explodes on the force field overhead.

Bottom

Seeing the ‘ard boys fall in a hail of lasers and explosions the rest of the hoard surge forward at full speed, except for the trukk, the nob can feel it in his bones, and orders the boyz to jump out and get ready for a charge, he’ll show them ‘umies how to fight a real fight! WAAAAAAAGGG!!! (With nothing less than a 5 rolled across the board for running the orks mean business now!)

The nob and his unit were like a stampede not only reaching the large platoon, but the heavy weapons team that assassinated the ‘ard boy nob and the platoon command chimera. The guard were going to pay big!

Fighting like orks possessed the mob ripped 12 of the platoon and 2 heavy weapon teams to pieces. The nob managed 4 penetrating hits on the chimera but not wanting the combat to end so soon only ripped off both weapons, the tracks and stunned the now useless driver and gunners! Unfortunately the orks were too busy killing to defend themselves and 7 boyz fell to the mixture of bayonets and power weapons. For a combat resolution of 20:7 to the orks the heavy weapon team promptly fled off the board.

I joked, asking if I got a kill point for his units leaving that table edge too? =P

The Commissar himself barely held his nerve rolling a 9 to stay in the fight, much to my glee. I wasn’t done scrappin’ yet!

Guard 2 Orks 0

Turn 3

The Guard moved to close the claws of their pincer, surrounding the orks in their killing field.

The Company Commander decided to get more hands on, seeling an easy kill point in the ork trukk. The trukk was just a warm up though; the commander has his sights on that battle wagon, and then the kans and the dread. Just as well they brought exta ammo for those meltas... Granted they’d have to make it across the ork shooting, but for now they had the cover of the trees and the orks couldn’t hit a baneblade, let alone 5 men! The Commander pointed at the ramshackle Trukk and shouted to “Bring it down” but the smoke belching engines were just too loud and his men could not hear. It didn’t matter; the 4 meltas turned it to steaming slag anyway with a kerrunch and a hiss.

The valkyrie let fly with its munitions, scoring 2 direct hits with the multiple rocket pods, its heavy bolters ripping through their ranks and the multilaser missing wildly. The smoke cleared and somehow out of over 20 confirmed hits only 4 back stragglers had fallen to their wounds.

The Vendettas laser this time dissipated themselves on the Field around the battle wagon, the flak cannons doing the same, just one round getting through and shaking a gunner. Even worse the Medusa missed wildly, placing its shell too far ahead of the lumbering battlewagon.

In the ongoing assault, just one ork iwas cut down by a power weapon before they could strike. In return they slew 4 more guardsmen. The Commissar foolishly held his ground for another turn.

Bottom

The Warlord, seeing the best fighting being had by others, jumps out and heads straight for the very loud gun! Seeing his passengers jump out the Big mek points and the chimera in the trees and shouts as loud as he can, “RAMMING SPEEEEED HAHAHAHA”. With a kerrunch over the wrecked trukk (rolled a 1, rerolled a 3) the deffrolla smashed into the chimera and the trees. The tracks and both weapons were torn and ruined under the spikes of the roller. Turning the tank into nothing more than a pillbox.

The rest of the hoard continued forward, getting in each other’s way and squabbling between themselves, their runs had turn into more of a shuffle to get to the front. The Kans however bee lined for the flak tank that had been blasting away.

The warboss and his nobs thundered at the medusa reaching it easily and prepared to pull it to pieces ready for looting later. The kans similarly charged the flakk tank.

Before his nobs could even react however the boss was a whirlwind of destruction and had ripped the medusa apart. Delivering 2 massive blows with his axe, stunning all crew before pulling the gun and tracks off and finally killing the dazed crew. The medusa was left a smoking wreck and the nobs, confused and in awe. “Thatz why eez tha boss”

The Kans hit the flak tank like a tide of spinning saws and chopping claws and within second the fuel tank went up in a massive explosion leaving the kans to walk out of the smoke victorious.

The final scrap of the turn left the commissar and his men failing to even cause a single wound on the rabid orks in their midst. The orks killed two more and the nob finished off the rest, personally cutting the commissar in half with his claw in a spray of blood. With a laugh he picked the commissar‘s hat off his scarred head, put it on, lit a fresh cigar and ran off the back of the field to secure the generator.

Guard 3 orks 1

Turn 4

Trying to close the platoon sized hole the orks had punched through, the sentinel and vendetta moved forward and the veterans jumped out to join the fight.

The Commander and his unit started the turn off well finally punching through the KFF and exploding the Battlewagon, taking a nearby ork with it.

The Valkyrie was next with a storm of missiles, heavy bolter shots and its laser taking 5 more orks from the large unit.

Things went from bad to worse when the remaining flak tank levelled its guns at the very angry looking big mek, the high calibre shells tearing him to pieces

Finally the shooting subsided with a flurry of missiles coming from the remaining heavy weapons team, turning a nob from the warboss’s unit to mush.

Bottom

The hoard pressed forward towards the opponent’s table edge while the warboss and nobs headed for the enemy commander, just finding themselves in range for the assault.

The Warboss keen to get his big choppa into something squishier, battered a melta wielding guardsman out of the way killing him instantly, before severing the commander in two. The Nobs keen to kill something before their boss could have all the fun quickly finished off the remaining guardsmen in a shower of gore and broken limbs. Disappointed with the ease of the fight the warboss and unit headed into the wood to take their frustration out on the chimera hidden within.

Guard 5 Orks 1

Turn 5

Seeing the destruction wrought by the ork warboss the remaining guard units moved to bring as much fire to bear on the unit as possible. This left the valkyrie and deployed vets to move in behind to trap any orks that tried to escape.

As one the guard units fired on the frenzied warboss and unit, heavy flamer from the sentinel, 3 missiles from the weapons team, 13 las cracks from the vets accompanied by the fizz of 3 plasma guns rapid firing, and finally the loud zzzap  of the vendettas lascannons. The guard looked at eachother on the verge of cheering at the awesome firepower they had brought to bear. When the dust cleared however 2 nobs lay dead, and a veteran had been reduced to a puddle. The warboss was still very much alive and so were his unit...

Bottom
The sheer amount of fire headed his way distracted the warboss from the immobile chimera, he had spotted some more ‘umies to smash and he headed straight for them. The large mob of boyz finally within range of a good fight headed for the sentinel that had been belching flames moments ago. The Deff Dread headed for the Hiding Platoon command squad within the chimera (they had been waiting to flamer the big mob when it came close).

Tired of being shot at the komandos decided to live up to their name and headed to assault the pursuing valkyrie.

With the Warboss and his unit barely reaching their lines the vets and the heavy weapons team had a moment of bravery and rushed forward, thinking this their opportunity to overwhelm the behemoth. The Large mob barely reached the sentinel also, with over half the unit out of fighting range, including the very angry nob. The Deff dread charged the chimera and the komandos got ready to bring down the flying contraption... the meks were going to love looting this after the battle

The warboss continued his slaughter, killing 2 heavy weapons teams, with a nob killing the other. The Vets fought back wounding a nob and stunning it enough that it killed none in return, but whilst they concentrated their attacks on him, a massive power claw butchered three of their number. The sergeant valiantly put down the wounded nob with a blow from his powerfist, but he knew it was hopeless and ordered a retreat.  The orks, frothing at the mouths, had worked themselves up into a frenzy however and chased the veterans down. Satisfied with the slaughter, the warboss led his unit off the battlefield. The boyz would mop up the rest, he had bigger plans...

The boyz swarmed the sentinel climbing, chopping and shooting, doing everything they could to bring it down. The machine kicked out at them, sending one ork flying with sickening crack and shattered jaw, but there were too many, its flamer was ripped off first and then a leg was crippled at the knee. Piece by piece, within moments the machine was reduced to scrap and the pilot disappeared under a carpet of green.

The Deff Dread became a whirlwind destruction, cutting and slashing, clawing and bashing the chimera, 6 definite penetrating hits and the vehicle went off like a bomb. With a deafening explosion the tank became a crater, tanking an ork with it. Looking dazed, but still alive, barely, 3 guardsmen stood up.

The kommandos however could not even land a glancing blow on the flying machine, it was just too nimble.

Guard 5 orks 3

Turn 6

Their army smashed, the Guard moved to kill off whatever orks they could. Remaining vets and valkyrie moving to get shots on the kommandos, the Platoon command moving to bring their flamers to bare and the Vendetta backed off and took aim at the Deff Dread.

The shooting stated off well with the valkyrie killing 7 kommandos in a rocket barrage, but the vets were unable to kill any remaining in the squad. Their inability to catch the flyer and the punishment they received in return was too much for one of the orks though and the nob had to show him who was boss before they tried to run. Killing the coward seemed to solve the problem however and the 2 remaining kommandos mannorked up.

The Platoon command let rip with their flamers, killing 6 of the large hoard, but there were still so vary many left...

To end the shooting the Vendetta trained its weapons on the Deff Dread hoping to stop it... well, dead.. but only managed to blow one of its flailing arms off.

Bottom

The large mob, ignoring the gouts of flame carried on forwards and away chasing their boss and towards a bigger fight.

As the Deff Dread headed for the remaining unit that was sending flames into the large mob the killa kans came around the corner, unknown to the onlookers there was a evil grin inside and seconds later flame burst from its skortcha igniting the two flamer wielding guardsmen.

The Kommandos marched double time to catch up with the rest of the hoard that was quickly leaving them behind.

On a roll the Deff dread barely broke stride to slice the platoon commander in three, before leaving the battlefield.

Guard 5 Orks 5

Turn 7

The Battle was almost over, the vets moved forward hoping to catch the orks as they advanced, the flak tank broke its cover to draw a line on the Killa Kans about to escape.

Shooting began with the vendetta cracking its lascannons at the 3 kans, one cannon for each kan, but the shooting was ineffectual only wrecking the closest to it.

Unfortunately for the flak tank, the dead kan was the only one it could see, it fired a few rounds at the smoking heap for good measure, but was unable to do much else.

The Valkyrie unleashed yet another salvo, finally killing the 3 remaining kommandos, leaving nothing but blood stained craters where they had stood.

Bottom

With nothing close enough to kill, the kans stomped off into the distance hoping to catch up in time for the next fight.

Game End

Guard 6 Orks 6

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Fixin the krooza mission 1 Orks Vs Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Great batrep, I enjoyed it very much. You may want to recalculate your VPs, as the scenario is TWO points for every ork unit that makes it off the table.

Your tactic to bum rush to the other side seemed to have worked, good thing the IG player tried to outflank you so that his center was fairly thin allowing you to cruise on through. Don't worry about the casualties, you can always grow more orks, and now that there are ork spores all over the place that planet will be having a wonderful surprise in a few years.  ;D

Good stuff, now, go and do more good stuff!
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Great batrep, I enjoyed it very much. You may want to recalculate your VPs, as the scenario is TWO points for every ork unit that makes it off the table.

wooo! or should I say WAAAAAGGGHHHH! I just went back and checked, just incase you were having me on, that means I actualy won, and a solid win too! What a turn of events. There was me thinking that because I built the army before seeing the mission and stuck to it I'd let the side down.

Your tactic to bum rush to the other side seemed to have worked, good thing the IG player tried to outflank you so that his center was fairly thin allowing you to cruise on through. Don't worry about the casualties, you can always grow more orks, and now that there are ork spores all over the place that planet will be having a wonderful surprise in a few years.  ;D

Good stuff, now, go and do more good stuff!

I think we both made a few mistakes this battle. But that's what turns a good one into a great one, the chance to pull your tactics apart afterwards.

I might have met even less resistence on the left side, due to his fast units being based that side anyway. I picked the right hand side in the end due to thinking fire lanes would be harder to get.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on my tactics and army lists. Being new to orks I'm bound to be making a million basic mistakes.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
I enjoyed your report...  I wish I could get my vassal to work...  It won't load the 40k graphics so I just use the graphics from vassal with a paint program... lol

Really solid fight though...  good times!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2011, 09:45:09 PM »
Great report and a good strategy.   Your report was a very easy read, and congrats on the win.

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
Cheers guys, I was a little worried it had turned out a bit too long.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
Cheers guys, I was a little worried it had turned out a bit too long.

Not at all that is how battle reports are supposed to be.  Though usually I string mine over 2-3 posts as it is a lot easy to work with and edit.

I will post reserved on 2-3 posts back to back (as a reply) just in case someone posts something halfway thru my write up.  This makes it a bit easier so you don't have to stretch everything to fit on one page or have to worry about running out of space.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
I concur with AoD...  There is not such thing as a battle report too long...  If people only want to skim over the important details, then they will...  For the rest of us, we like details because we can learn why or why not a strategy/army list worked...  And learn from it...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!