News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Battle of the Primarchs!  (Read 20657 times)

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
Re: Battle of the Primarchs!
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »
Actually, I think Horus would probably be in there and it would turn into a popularity contest that he would lose. He did rip the emperors arm off. ;D ( If Lomendil is suddenly trying to read all my posts, note that this is completely civil and said in as joking manner)
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline skalnok

• i like harlequins they make me laugh
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »
i vote lion just because it seems both times in the draws he seemed to come out on top if only very very slightly ( sword through russ's heart )   but he would come out very very bruised and broken
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

If I eat your brain, do I gain your talen

Offline Teh_Primarch

• "your direction is more important than your speed"
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2006, 12:50:55 AM »
Leman Russ > Lion IF and only IF he dished out the cheap shots as well. Knowing how honourable leman russ is he would never hit lion if he was down and without a weapon, hed throw lion a weapon and lion would see an opportunity to kill him. Lion is dishounourable, sneaky, cold, self-centered, unfriendly, arrogant, and clever, which is why he wins. In a fight, honour doesnt matter, winning does. I give the win to lion only escaping an inch from death and using every trick in the book against russ.
"in all human affairs there are efforts and there are results. And the strength of the effort is the measure of the result."

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2006, 01:24:53 AM »
Draw. They've fought each other on five separate occasions and neither has ever bested the other. Jonson and Russ are perfectly matched opponents.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2006, 02:04:16 AM »
Draw. They've fought each other on five separate occasions and neither has ever bested the other. Jonson and Russ are perfectly matched opponents

Hmm, from the quotes you supplied, it looked to me, as if there had been winners in those duells, only that they didnt decide to kill each other (i mean, blade to the heart, come on, even if Russ should have two...).

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Dedecus

• Interrogator-Chaplain
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2006, 02:10:48 AM »
Draw. They've fought each other on five separate occasions and neither has ever bested the other. Jonson and Russ are perfectly matched opponents.

For the record,  Russ did start the first fight with a cheap shot of his own.  ;D

I actually totally agree with Irandrura. Since I'm a Dark Angels player and a Space Wolf hater, I just like doing things like provoking the Space Wolf players to defend their Primarch ;)

Dead serious though, it should be a draw. They'd fight each other until total exhaustion takes over and they both simultaneously collapse, and impale themselves on their own swords.
"Repent! For tomorrow you die!"

Offline TDB

• Lap Dancing Teasers
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2006, 03:01:26 AM »
Strength on par with Magnus? Physical strength?

You have a source for that?

Yep, Space Wolves IA article, it says "His strength was lauded as rivalling that of Russ, but he preferred to expend his energies learning and pursuing ancient arcana than the art of battle."  It's important to remember that this is untrained strength though, Russ was undoubtably better at fighting (and brawling) than Magnus, if only from practice.  Magnus was very much like the mythical cyclops, big, strong but also smart; naive, but smart.  ;)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
Is fhearr an t-olc a chluinntinn na fhaicinn (better to hear the evil than see it)

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2006, 03:55:41 AM »
Hmm, from the quotes you supplied, it looked to me, as if there had been winners in those duells, only that they didnt decide to kill each other (i mean, blade to the heart, come on, even if Russ should have two...).

You have to consider the context of that battle. The Fortress of Unforgiven has a decent explanation. (You have to go the next page; they've split it up for some reason.) Though the FoU has an understandable Dark Angel bias, it's fairly reliable as these things go.

Though it mentions Jonson striking Russ barehandedly instead of using a sword... there are different versions of the same event around, as is the case with a lot of myth. The important point is that Russ was not defending himself at that point as he had ceased fighting.

Quote from: Dedecus
For the record,  Russ did start the first fight with a cheap shot of his own.

Which Jonson finished with a cheap shot of his own. Fair is fair, after all.

Quote from: tapdancingbeavers
Yep, Space Wolves IA article, it says "His strength was lauded as rivalling that of Russ, but he preferred to expend his energies learning and pursuing ancient arcana than the art of battle." 

Is that talking about physical strength or strength in general? It's quite an ambiguous statement, as are an awful lot of statements about the Primarchs. It even says that his strength was 'lauded' as equal to Russ', not that it actually was. You could take it in several ways.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline TDB

• Lap Dancing Teasers
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2006, 05:22:01 AM »
Is that talking about physical strength or strength in general?

The subject of the sentence is physical strength (shown by it saying he didn't train in the art of battle) so it's talking about physical strength.  I'm sure there is a better way to explain that but since it talks of physical strength and not general strength i'm thinking that it does mean the two were fairly equal in this regard.

It even says that his strength was 'lauded' as equal to Russ', not that it actually was.

I think it says 'lauded' because there was never any direct competition between the two (pre-heresy) to actually find out, their comparative strength most likely measured by acts during the Crusade.  Both picking up massive rocks and knocking walls down with their fists for example.   :D  The fight between the two also shows that they were almost equal in physical strength as well, considering Magnus was not a trained fighter he did alright imo, especially considering he (arguably) didn't have any 'superpowers' at the time.

It is open to speculation as you said though but hey, i like Magnus.  :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
Is fhearr an t-olc a chluinntinn na fhaicinn (better to hear the evil than see it)

Offline ghost_realm

• I live to taint
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2006, 09:00:25 AM »
Still cant see how Lion EL beat Sanguinius, (Lion El beat a Chaos powered SPACE MARINE, Sanguinius would have beaten a Chaos powered PRIMARCH, if Horus didnt cheat) P.S- wasnt Ang'grath stronger than Ka'bandha?

My sentiments exactly on the lion part. Oh well I have to go with Russ winning no reason other than Magnus is out and I have to vote for someone winning.

Also after going through the back section of the horus heresy vol. IV: Visions of death it has 2 pics of Ka'bandha. One Looks like some crappy bloodletter and the other looks exactly like Ang'grath and has the same weapons etc. Could be that Ang'grath and Ka'bandha are one in the same (that's only based on art work from the card game though. Also what was with the pic of Magnus with 2 eyes and 1  was poked out. I'm going for him being a giant cyclops with 1 eye from from when he was born).

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »
RUSS! RUSS! RUSS! RUSS!

WAAAAAGH!!  Or sommit like that...
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline supremeburteeto

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07:46 PM »
Final Round will end tommorow at 5:00pm Pacific time(8:00pm as it says on thread)

Offline crazedjustice888

• Go Green Ranger GO!!!
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2006, 02:28:23 PM »
Lion because as the article Irandrura pointed out, it showed that Lion was not as strong, but also fast and nimble.  In an actual battle, how can you win if you cannot hit your opponent.  I don't mean to hate on the space wolves, I certantly repsect both chapters, but strenght alone cannot win the match alone.  Being in the Martial Arts, I have taken down guys 4 times my size in less than 30 seconds, by just dodging, and waiting for the right time to strike.  The hard ones I think are the fast ones, I have only been beaten by one man, he is about my size, but after that, he got cocky, so I exploited it.  This just goes to show you that Strength is not everything.

Offline supremeburteeto

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »
The votes are in and the winner is................. ......Lion EL Johnson, barely. Well that brings a close to the competition, thanks for voting!