News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Riptide varient  (Read 2683 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
New Riptide varient
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
Forge World is back to looking at Tau for a little while.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/R/Rvarna.pdf
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: New Riptide varient
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
Whoah--that's pretty heavy duty. Do they have a model yet?

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
love the new model def one I would love to have in my Tau army :)
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
Call me old school.

If I understand correctly, the model could, with the help of the generator, fire a total of 4 "Clusterbeslubberyou" shots. Each of those large blasts would inflict 3 hits, at Krak missile effect, upon a vehicle, for a potential 12 Krak missile hits, in one turn, from one model.

When you're throwing hurt at MEQ or softer models, you get to throw 4 pie plates that wound on a 2+... and punch through MEQ armour. For less than the cost of 2 Leman Russ tanks.

It's rules like these, that make me stay away from Forgeworld. Just makes me shake my head.

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Call me old school.

If I understand correctly, the model could, with the help of the generator, fire a total of 4 "Clusterbeslubberyou" shots. Each of those large blasts would inflict 3 hits, at Krak missile effect, upon a vehicle, for a potential 12 Krak missile hits, in one turn, from one model.

When you're throwing hurt at MEQ or softer models, you get to throw 4 pie plates that wound on a 2+... and punch through MEQ armour. For less than the cost of 2 Leman Russ tanks.

It's rules like these, that make me stay away from Forgeworld. Just makes me shake my head.

Agreed, that forgeworld rules are 'sick' but to field them 'as-is' with the current codex rules just makes them very interesting on the battlefield.  Just the look of your opponent's face when you put it down makes it worth while.  Mind Games gotta love it  :o
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
Call me old school.

Agreed, that forgeworld rules are 'sick' but to field them 'as-is' with the current codex rules just makes them very interesting on the battlefield.  Just the look of your opponent's face when you put it down makes it worth while.  Mind Games gotta love it  :o

Its still seems stupidly over powered.  If its gun was AP 5, then I could totally see its balance.  But as is, I would only play with/against it in apocalypse.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
They're trial rules. Wait for an actual publication before overly worrying about play balance.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
That's the joke of it, though. Either they maintain ridiculous rules that no one in their right mind would agree to, or they pull it back, and the money you've invested in that model might just go *poof*.

"You're using that funky Riptide with the experimental rules? Oh, I'm using this Russ variant with Mega-Death-Cannon experimental rules. It has strength 10, AP1, Ignores Cover, and Armourbane. Oh, it also has a 18" blast radius. And it's 260 points. The rules are still experimental."

Like I said, old school prejudice says this is a wad of cheat. Either in the game, or of the customer.

It's a nice enough model, but I don't see anything wrong with the current one, which means the reason to buy this as WYSIWYG is just to abuse poor rules design.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 01:09:47 AM »
I think if you didn't slap on the extra strength too it wouldn't be nearly as OP, or at least just say anything bigger than infantry takes two hits instead. Or both.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
I think the model looks terrible. It has no head/face. Granted there is no reason a suit *needs* such a thing, but it looks weird to me. It isn't like I was going to buy it anyway, but still.

The rules do look fairly nasty, but in terms of vehicles it's only the primary target that takes the extra hits. So you overkill one vehicle, basically--not exactly the end of the world. Those guns are a fair bit worse towards bikes and such.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
That whole needing a head thing is an unfortunate anthropomorphism found in SF. Being that sensors and view points are purely arbitrary at that point it's just a matter of artistic license and not one I favour. Same as why the Ripetide even exists, where's the advantage in bipedal on that scale?

Disclaimer - Never been a fan of Tau Titans that aren't more drone shaped or purely functional.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
That whole needing a head thing is an unfortunate anthropomorphism found in SF. Being that sensors and view points are purely arbitrary at that point it's just a matter of artistic license and not one I favour. Same as why the Ripetide even exists, where's the advantage in bipedal on that scale?

I 100% agree in terms of pure functionality and sense, but this is Rule of Cool we're talking about. Anthropomorphism is the name of the game, friend.  :)

Disclaimer - Never been a fan of Tau Titans that aren't more drone shaped or purely functional.

*shrug* I'm playing an army that uses Gundam-esque battlesuits, so I want Gundam-esque battlesuits. End of. To each his own, I suppose.