News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wash problems  (Read 1403 times)

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
Wash problems
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
I'm painting flesh tearers and I'm using the new GW black wash to tone down the red. Looks great but the problem is the blobs and brush lines when it dries. I was told to thin down the wash which did help but they still happen. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to using washes over large flat surfaces? Will the streaks go away after I seal it with dull coat?

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Wash problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
If you're washing a large, flat surface, try brushing from top to bottom, with the brush tips pointing towards the top. Don't go up and down, just down.

This keeps a small pool of wash just above the bristles, which should prevent stroke-marks. It also lets the bristles act as a "well" to collect excess wash. The wash will flow down into the bristles, if you leave the bristles in contact with the surface. You have to be a little bit careful, to prevent paint from drying in the bristles close to the stick part, but it should help. Make sure to keep the paint thin, and you should be laughing.

Another helpful thing is to drybrush the surface before washing. In my experience, it helps to smooth things out for no particular reason. :)

I doubt the streaks will go away with sealer. :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:36:24 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
Yes, just what Spectral Arbor said, all of it.

My first question is are you priming the model or just painting over the plastic?

If primed then it should be easier. Are you using Nuln Oil wash?

If not primed, the paint coverage is usually thicker and can cause problems when trying to use a wash.

I used to make my own wash until I used ?Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade the first time. Just love them, they stay the same consistency throughout every model I use it on.

Also, on red I would try the earthshade, the brown color really compliments the red without making it too dark. Hope this helps.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
    I have had a few problems like this.  I have found that if you are getting brush lines and bubbles. It could be a few things.  The most common being: the paint may be too watery.  So you may not be seeing the brush lines from the current paint, it could be the brush marks from the previous color that dried, and the bubbles are from the paint being used. 
    The other thing that could be going on, maybe at the same time, is simply the brush you are using. A large flat brush is preferable to these large areas, but also one that has good moisture management.  This is a trait that is hard to describe, but simply if you put water down and your brush can pick it up and then when you paint with just the water it should let it out slowly.  If it is not good at this the brush will not pick up the water well, but when dipped into a cup of water it will just let all the moisture out in large globs because the brush has a hard time absorbing he water so it is mostly just water on the outside of the brush.  Test this to see if it is not just the brush, and then if not the brush try mixing the paint with another paint instead of a wash.  That's my best recommendation.  That or go over the color with the wash after you paint it. 
  "Their song shall die first!"