News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: deff dread, is it realy worth the points?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline louisicle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
deff dread, is it realy worth the points?
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:07:53 AM »
every game i've played with my deff dread it has been destroyed before reaching the enemys lines.
im thinking of taking it off my list.
is it realy wort its points?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: deff dread, is it realy worth the points?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »
This will really depend on your list.   If it is the only armor then no it probably isn't.   But with other armor, walkers, or what not.. is it such a bad thing that it gets destroyed?   If it is getting destroyed better than a battlewagon or a truck in my view point. 

If it is your only armor then all the big guns will target it and it will get killed.

I think it is a great distraction, tarpit, or close anti-armor unit.   For the points you are getting a good buy if you keep him cheap.   I personally like grot riggas, big shoota and skorcha...  rings in around the cost of a dreadnought.   The best part though if used with a Mek then he doesn't take up a heavy slot.   

They are also very nice for dread bash lists.   I never liked them at first glance but then again I was playing a green wave style list.... now that I am leaning toward a dread bash with heavy amount of boyz..   I am going to include one in my list. 

Offline Aluinn

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
It is actually pretty tough if you can manage to keep it covered, at least early on in the game, with a KFF. Essentially it then becomes twice as hard to kill, and your opponent, with a little luck on your part, might even end up pouring quite a bit of anti-tank fire into it expecting an easy kill but getting nothing.

On the other hand, it might explode. But such is the nature of dice.

I always take at one simply because it's nice to have a scoring Deff Dread and I'd be including a Big Mek either way. It does not always die before reaching anything, especially when I'm facing opponents that are inclined to advance, themselves.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
It is actually pretty tough if you can manage to keep it covered, at least early on in the game, with a KFF. Essentially it then becomes twice as hard to kill, and your opponent, with a little luck on your part, might even end up pouring quite a bit of anti-tank fire into it expecting an easy kill but getting nothing.

On the other hand, it might explode. But such is the nature of dice.

I always take at one simply because it's nice to have a scoring Deff Dread and I'd be including a Big Mek either way. It does not always die before reaching anything, especially when I'm facing opponents that are inclined to advance, themselves.

Deff Dreads, being as they are vehicles, can never be scoring...
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:11:15 AM »
I'm more inclined to ask if they're worth the ducats. The real (metal) deff dread was NZ$95, and funnily enough the price didn't drop with the new kit. Damned if I'm paying a dollar a point (though it is a lovely model), so back to the mekshop.

On topic: I often find walkers are commonly paid far less attention than big armour for some reason, sometimes even by players who should know better. This usually changes when someone comes across massed war walkers or dreadbash lists though. So either you need distractions, or enough dustbins to reach the line effectively. The latter option also requires a KFF caddy, without whom I wouldn't even bother taking the dread. If there were competition for Heavy slots I would take the Kan Klan.
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
They're very effective at what they do. You'll want either a KFF or vehicles to hide it behind on the approach though. The KFF is the more obvious choice for protecting dreds. On the whole, they work better the more of them you have, but you'll still need something to protect them from terminators, etc.

You can field just a single one in a mixed list, but it better not factor too heavily into your overall strategy. This goes for any single model/single unit choice that you aren't doubling up though. For example, if my army had a biker nob team, a killa kan team, a deff dred, and a meganob team, I wouldn't mind too much if I lost the deff dred, since each of these units can perform the same role as the deff dred when needed. What this does though is gimp enemies who lack AT or who have too much AT a bit, who may have the right firepower to destroy one of my units but not the right kind to hit another. It ensures my medium of damage delivery isn't chained to a single target type, so my opponent, if playing too much of a scissors list, can't cut my rock, so to speak.

The other approach is to load up on the dreds and kans and use a KFF, putting these armored units at the spearhead and following them with your infantry. This'll require the opponent to overload on a particular weapon type to blunt your threat - the problem being, if the opponent has the right kind of damage delivery, it's a very bad matchup for you.