News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thoughts on Necron paint scheme and army lists?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline FireboltNecron

• Newest
  • Hello World!
  • Armies: Necrons
Thoughts on Necron paint scheme and army lists?
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
Hello to any and all.
Recently I bought a decent necron army from my friend, worth at least 2000 points which I will list below. Models are largely complete, with a bit of work still to be done. I have included pictures, and would like to know what you think of the current paint scheme, and if you have any suggestions on where to go next.

2 Monoliths - 400 pts
6 Destroyers - 240 pts
12 Canoptek Scarabs - 180 pts with enough pieces to make an extra 5
C'Tan Shard (Nightbringer) - 185 pts base value
55 Necron Warriors - 715 pts
Destroyer Lord - 125 pts
Necron Lord - 35 pts
2 FW Tomb Stalkers - 390 pts

on top of this I have
5 Canoptek Scarabs
4 Destroyers - mostly broken...
20 Necron Warriors

This friend of mine painted using a lot of Mithril Silver, whereas I prefer to use Boltgun Metal, what do you think looks better on necrons?
I'm thinking of trying a sort of blue, bleach bone, black look on the second monolith but not sure about how that would fit with the greed rods/crystal, so any tips or ideas?
From here, I was thinking of buying 2 Arks, 2 Scythes, 2-5 Crypteks, Illuminor Szeras and/or Imotekh the Stormlord, but money is limited. Yes or No? Anything else I should consider?

I have more photos if you would like, and feel free to email me (:

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Re: Thoughts on Necron paint scheme and army lists?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »
Nice looking stuff. If  Moc is around, he'd probably appreciate the problems inherent with red paint!

Personally I work with Boltgun because it is a 'medium' base to work from. You can darken it with a wash, and conversely you can highlight with Mithral.

Mitheral can be touchy with finishing sprays too. I've seen it almost turn 'white' when reacting to certain finishes.

Good luck with your army... those Arks are such a pain to get put together. ;)

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Black and green obviously go together!

On a related note, I've been painting up a Necron army for a friend and I found glow in the dark green paint at Walmart. I've been adding it to the "glowing" parts of the stuff that has POS lighting. I just glob it on, it dries a semitransparent apple green (so it's barely noticeable until you turn off the lights!
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
I'd stick with the red.  Red is the god's color.  you could always dry brush a metallic  over the red.   then painted on a ard coat over the red

just a suggestion

Offline FireboltNecron

• Newest
  • Hello World!
  • Armies: Necrons
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
Cheers for the replies!
I'd be interested to see some other necrons in red, if there are any good pictures floating around.
That glow in the dark paint sounds pretty awesome (but I'm not sure I would play games in the dark with it...)
Thanks for the advice on paints, and I guess arks will be even more difficult if i try and keep them interchangeable (between ghost and doomsday models!)
Any more replies would be welcome!