News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Clarity on NEMESOR ZAHNDREKH  (Read 3170 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Clarity on NEMESOR ZAHNDREKH
« on: November 8, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
Hey guys, been a while!

I'm bouncing around armies right now and I haven't really put Nemesor in any of my 6th ed lists. So I'm playing a bit of catch up here with some of the 'new' ways of playing Necrons in 6th.

Specifically I'm wondering if you can use Nemesor's phased reinforcements to put your flyers into play if an opponent deploys reserves?

Is there a specific way they must come in? (Nemesor states "deep strike")

How are you finding this tactic considering the timing of it? Is there a trick to it?

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered but I've been going through the forum and may have missed it.

Also, as a side note, I gotta say I'm a little disappointed to see so little activity in the Necron section! What happened to everyone?  ;)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Clarity on NEMESOR ZAHNDREKH
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
Hey prot, I use Zahndrekh in my army for exactly this reason!

My list has 4 night scythes in it, as well as a monolith. you will note that these (and the doom scythe) all have deep strike! This is the key thing because you must, as the rule states, enter the board via deep strike, and thus only units can CAN deep strike may take advantage of this. So far i've not lost any units to a mishap, but I'm sure it is just a matter of time. The good thing is that I can also double up the monolith to bring in stranded passengers through its own portal too.

the timing of this is actually very tricky to get right because your flyers must deep strike when an enemy unit arrives from reserve - ie: before enemy movement.

This means that you need to be able to deep strike your flyer taking into considering possible enemy movements this turn AS WELL AS your necessary movements (and restrictions) in your turn. I'm still figuring this out as there are a seemingly endless number of possibilities and permutations!

One thing I do like though is that you aren't limited to bringing in a specific number of units... I've played games where my opponent has dropped in a drop pod (which MUST arrive first turn) and I've followed him down with three of my flyers! (leaving one in reserve to bring up a second wave).

I've found that it is not always good to have all the flyers on the board all the time, and sometimes its better to be able to maintain constant air cover across different areas of the board. Manouvering multiple flyers can be tricky and needs a lot of forward planning. This is even more difficult if you are playing on a 4x4 board! (which unfortunately I am often limited to at game stores!)

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
Thanks oink. Glad to see you're still active.

I'm typically playing 1500 point games so as I move from my 'comfort' zone to new flyer based lists, I don't want to take an overly abusive one, however, I don't want to see them sit in reserve too long so I'm thinking 2 flyers in 1500 should be ok.

I'm a little unsure about 2 in 1500... we'll see. Just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of deepstriking, then shooting the next turn. Hopefully they last long enough.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »
Also, as a side note, I gotta say I'm a little disappointed to see so little activity in the Necron section! What happened to everyone?  ;)

You're right, time to reboot my Necrons! I've been guilty of playing my Ultramarines with the new rules, but I think it's time to crack out the metal heads.

What this space!

In the mean time, I think Zahndrekh is a great character in this edition. Giving Tank Hunter to a unit makes them extremely dangerous now.

Being able to remove Stealth could be useful when removing something nasty.

He's also become somewhat defensive in some ways too, which is a plus points. He can remove Night Vision, Tank Hunters and all the rest from a single enemy unit. This means that Ravager or Hammerhead can no longer ignore night fighting!

However, Phased reinforcements could be useful to get a bunch of models on the table early too, though I doubt many people will make use of it really when you can role a 3+ to bring on units. Why put your army into a situation where it can turn up and get attacked before it manages to do anything?

Just deepstrike normally.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2012, 03:22:04 PM by Idaho »

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
Good points... last week I played against IG and he had the advisor with intercept reserves... in a word it 'sucked'.

Removing skills is good though.... even counter attack on Wolves I suppose. I only used Nemsor a handful of times last edition. I'm just thinking if I'm going to use flyers, maybe I'll take him to make sure they come out by turn 3?

I guess I should post my pending list. Funny thing is it appears units I used to FORCE myself to try are now viable, specifically I used to use a lot of Praetorians (!) and Deathmarks.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
I'm still not convinced on either of those units - though really want someone to show me why deathmarks can work!

I would definately say that big Z (as I call him) is a superb buy. If you just work out the cost of a regular overlord with all of the kit he comes with then you'll see that his bonuses are real bargains! of course, the trouble, as I found out, is that he really has no combat capability at all.

But I would definately agree he is a great choice for an army with flyers.

You do have to read each of his abilities very carefully though, as each thing has different criteria - for instance he can choose any unit in your army to gift a special rule (i read this to mean they can also be in reserve), BUT he can only strip special rules from a unit that he has LoS. Then you need to remember things like night fighting does not stop LoS either!

I've found my biggest trouble is remembering what USRs he can affect...

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »
I used to use Nemesor a lot in 5th ed.... but I also used to play VERY shooty lists and now that I'm trying to mix in an assault unit or two, I'm finding it hard to fit him in to 1500.... we'll see. I do miss the guy though and he's possibly a bit more useful in 6e it would appear.

I'm still feeling out the units overall for 6th... Tomb blades, Praetorians, all sorts of stuff that I rarely used in 5th.  So I appreciate the advice.