News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Build A Cheap Warhammer Table  (Read 14457 times)

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
Build A Cheap Warhammer Table
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:31 AM »
For those of you who are not aware, from time to time I like to post videos about warhammer on my youtube channel.

Now I like everyone else in the USA am feeling the economy problems in my pocket book. Even more so due to being in debt. So I try to find the cheapest ways of getting stuff for my 40k hobby.

After a falling out with the LGS in the area I found myself without a place to play!  :'(

Now I have a small apartment(check out my vids to see it) so I dont have the room to dedicate to a fully constructed warhammer table. Or even just a big enough kitchen table for that matter.

So I decided to go on a quest to find a cheap, easy & compact way of playing warhammer without using boxes and a tarp(like my friend jimmie).

What I found was that for roughly $60 I could make a cheap & effective warhammer table, that was also even apocalypse ready. Here is a list of places to get your equipment. The key with this list, shop around. Call places first. Most of us already realize this, but for those that dont make sure you check every store in your area.

1 - Go to home depot, or any major hardware store similar to them. Go to the wood area & get an 8 x 4 piece of particle board. Its not very sturdy mind you, but you can get one of these for very cheap. I think we got ours for $20.

Most of these stores will cut the board for you for free. We had them take the 8x4 and cut 2 feet off the end to make our 2x4 apocalypse expansion, then cut the 6x4 down the middle to make two 6x2s.

2 - At the same store(or somewhere else if you find it cheaper) pick up plastic 5 gallon buckets. 6 should do, but we got 8 since we do plan on playing apocalypse. This ran us $24 for all 8.

3 - Go to walmart or another hardware store, whichever is cheaper. In the paint department have them mix up 1 quart of the cheapest paint they have to the color you want your table. I choose a dark angels navy blue ish looking grey for mine(we enjoy urban battles alot). The paint cost me about 6 or 7 dollars I beleive.

Then you want to pick up a small touch up roller. You will have to get this at a hardware store though, because the ones walmart carrys do not come with the plastic disposable tray with it. I paid $2 for this. It takes longer with the touch up roller, but you cant beat it for $2.

Take your time painting, as if you dont the touch up roller will make it look very crappy & rushed. After about 2 or 3 coats of paint(with time to dry in between) you will have a decent little warhammer table built. And the best part is the buckets stack on each other, go in the closet, and you can stick the boards behind any large piece of furniture.  ;D

Sceptical? Well thats why I have links to both part 1 & 2 of my table vids on youtube. 

Build A Cheap Warhammer Table Part 1

Build A Cheap Warhammer Table Part 2

Oh and if this doesn't fit in the right forum go ahead & move it. I just thought given the spirit of the project the conversion forum fit best.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:32:05 AM by Sightless Blind - Scion Of Zoot »
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Theareen

• You rise, you fall, your down, then you rise again
Re: Build A Cheap Warhammer Table
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
Holy crap... my friends and i just did the same thing last week. Instead of 2 6x2 pieces we are using 6 2x2 pieces. we used spray paint for our table instead of painting it by hand.

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:43:06 AM »
i tried using spray paint at first, but it was more expensive to cover the entire thing crappily then it was to just buy a quart of paint & a roller.

you get a much more even looking color from the hand done then the spray. at least on particle board.

though i have contemplated if i ever build a regular table of using spraycans of textured paint to texture the table & then paint over it by hand  ::)
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Theareen

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
it works for what we need and we only went through two cans

Offline Greggor Sin, the Jolly

• Steampunk: Yeah, it's kind of like that
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
Haha, I thought that was cute! ...in that, "we have no money but won't lose out on anything for it" kinda way.  The 5-gallon buckets confused me, at first... but the video explains it all.  The only problem i see is that it's close to the ground, flimsy (as you mentioned particle board can be), and thus likely very unstable... The worst is having someone bump a table so delicately balanced.

On the notes of standard board terrain, me and my friend got a roll of this grass-like stuff, which we laid across a styrofoam board (styrofoam's like an inch thick) and glued it down... problems were that in one spot we accidentally ripped the stuff, so we have this nasty scar on the table, and that since the glue dried on the mat, the board was literally retracted into a slight U-shape... but it's only noticeable on the edges.

Lessons learned: Paint your boards. 

I've seen some great things done with putties, but it requires a lot of attention to detail and I'm not sure of the price.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
Textured paint tends to be at least double the cost of normal spraypaint, but it's also often multi-colored (such as Make It Stone! in marble/granite varieties) so painting over it often isn't necessary.  You get texture and color in the same can.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
True but like spray paint, geting a good even coloring is a bit hard on particle board. I was thinking more of spray for getting the whole thing textured, & then filling in the gaps with a layer of paint overtop of it.

I do a similar thing in reverse with my cardboard buildings. I have to spray down the building with a layer of cheap black spray, then the textured paint to make sure no brown shows through.

As for the board being flimsy & low to the ground, its the perfect height for sitting in a chair while moving your men.  ;D

And since its usually only us we dont bump the table. We keep it against that walled area

SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »
I just made a table my self. 3 peices of chip board 4x2, attached with piano hinges. This makes a single "by the book" 4x6 board when unfolded.

When the weather is good I'm going to go outside and spray paint it with primer. Thow on a coat of Rough Coat. Must "dust" green spray paint if I got the money for a can of green.

When I use it, I'm just putting a cloth over the coffee table(To not sctatch it.)  and then unfold the board on top.

I think it might make mine alittle bit more compact then yours.
XD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:42:41 PM by Lucky_Jackal »

Offline Theareen

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:31:40 AM »
i dont know what u guys mean by flimsy our particle board is very sturdy and heavy infact

Offline Dark Prince

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 2, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »
I was in the process of building a table, but the materials cost nothing, got particle board F.O.C from work off the old packing 4 sheets 4ft x 3ft each.
Used old sandy paint mixed with sand for desert effect, got some old foam board 25mm thick from builder throwing it away. Made board 2 white for ice effect (not finished yet) making hills and mountains from the 25mm foam board (1/2 done). but more important than my board, Warlord Titan started.