News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Demolisher Landcruiser" Any thoughts?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
"Demolisher Landcruiser" Any thoughts?
« on: May 6, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »
Right, anyone feel like lending me their brain, or rather any thougts on this they might have?

I've talked about it a few times, a Demolisher based on a Landraider hull, something more meaty then your standard russ and now I've got 10 days before I start it (for the 40k Online Conversion Contest), and the idea has evolved a little. Rather then just going for a large russ as I'd originally intended I've rationalised that really the Russ chasis should still form the core of my tanks - but I still want to do something of a center piece tank though, something unique.

So I want to go for something of a landship, something almost totally over the top stylisticly, a cross between steampunk and 40k.

I've no concept sketch yet, so if you can bare with me the idea is fairly simple, first off the hull remains that of a Landraider, the tracks are reversed so as to form the same romboid shape as a Russ, the assault ramp goes as do the sponson. On each flank a small fighting platform with one door (the other being sealed off), a rail or armoured wall around the platform with a gatling bolter (as with my Gatling Guns replacing Heaby Bolters) mounted on each with a crewman operating it. The forward twin-linked heavy bolter mounting of the landraider would be removed, using the pulpit left by its absense as a forward gatling gun position, again with a crewman.

That leaves the turret, I'm debating over an American Civil War Union Monitor style turret (probably with removeable top for interior detail), or an open topped artillery style position.

Yes its a hideiously over complex project in alot of ways, but this is something of a center piece for my GT army (and a nomination for best army in the heats gets you a free ticket to the final...)

Any suggestions folks? Especially on the turret, what do you think would work best? Hell Im open to suggestions on any part of the vehicle, any ideas for extras, or anything you think unplausable even.

Oh an yeah, it needs a name, Dreadnoughts out for obvious reasons and I'd rather avoid the word 'land' to avoid the whole landraider issue, it may be based on the hull of one but to all intents and purposes the two are completely unrelated.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
Re: "Demolisher Landcruiser" Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
I'd certainly go for the Monitor-style turret over a gun emplacement.  If you're sticking with the general Land Raider shape, I'd be inclined to merge the two hatches into one giant Sponson type thing for either a gun nest or a 2nd Edition Predator style sponson.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Parak

• Colonel - Best Painted Guard Army
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I like my brick
    • My Blog!
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2007, 05:54:31 PM »
So somewhere between the tanks of WW1 and an empire steam tank?!?

I was thinking about the name juggernaught, but then I remembered the chaos mount...

This sounds like a cool conversion, if insanely comlex. What about an extra 'box ontop carrying the main gun, similar to that of early siege tanks, or alternatively, you could mount it in place of the assualt ramp. I'm gonna have to try some rough sketches.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
what if you made it a literal combination of gun and boat? I only have a few minutes to spare, but what if it looked a little like this?

It's sort of a combination of boat and tank. On the "deck" you have the hull weapon in such a way where it looks like a ship's deck gun. The sponsons are open gunports, sort of like the DKoK ones. If you wanted to steampunk it more, you could add coal fired smokestacks out the back or something.

Anyways, just an idea.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »
I actually think "Monitor" is a good name.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Corrupt

« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2007, 06:57:01 AM »
THis thing will either make me want to claw my eyes out at the Orkish horrow you create, or be absolutely amazing.
either way go for it!
WIsh I wasnt too lazy to just buy the kits...

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
hi all,

colonel, try looking on the GW site (uk) when i attended the tank master class some one was making this, and he was using the baneblade turret, and built up the sponsons etc from pasterscard, i'll try and get the links
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline ThePraetorian

« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
not good with loading pics but the top pic on this link might help

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/epic1889.html
Chi Chi, get the  Ya yo

Offline Sergeant Olezka

• Commissar
  • Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.
« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »
Consider that steam leman russ stolen!

On that note I dont think the steam tank is a bit small for a platform. I guess he could extend it with some plasticard to make it bulkier.
"Fighting Chaos is a terrible task, but someone has to do it!" -unidentified Sergeant, Cadian 12th.

The thesaurus syndrome: Don't overutilize ostentatiously pretentious language to delineate the thematic observations you are endeavoring to articulate. Big words aren't impressive; a clear, direct style is.

Offline Valhalla114

• Major
  • Salamanders are for people who have great hair.
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
Steamin Russ! hahah. Cool concept by the way too. I like the model from that link I think it's to the tee! Very nice work there on whoever built that beast.
Alfred the Cogboy. Only in death does duty End.

Offline Cpl. Lee

• I <3 cups of red bush tea...
    • my myspace site
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 10:02:38 AM »
that steam tank russ is legendary!

i think you should really look at a stretched chimera/russ chassis then base something a bit higher - i like the idea of the ragnarok - that looks crawler-ish.

just extend your base - the wider it is - the more imposing it will look. that seems to be the idea with 'lumbering' vehicles anyways...
WIP:

blood pact force from cadians/Pig Iron Bitz
N20 half track
AT70 'Reaver' tank

always wanting to speak to other blood pact/sabbat worlds players/converters

Official Founder of the 40kOnline CDS fan club - PM me for more details...