News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Skitarii - Who Cares?  (Read 27440 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Skitarii - Who Cares?
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
Woah, I did not know that the codex was that cheap!  Damn, I'm going to go order it right now!  ;D

As an IG player, assault units are not really my specialty, so I can't really tell how good at assault these new units are.  They look pretty effective (decent statline and nasty wargear).  Maybe you could say that they're equivalent to some Eldar units?  I honestly don't know.  :P

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #21 on: April 5, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
I heard that the codex is going to be soft cover unlike the recent codices.  When you compare this price to that of a hard cover like the harlequin s, how's it stand up?  I don't know comparative prices in quid.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #22 on: April 5, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
Personally, I'm glad the skitarii are getting a release. I'm not a huge mechanicus fan, I'm always a fan of new factions being represented in 40k.  New content means new options and new stories to tell on the tabletop.  Skitarii getting a release is indicative of GW's decision to start releasing content for minor factions.  Things like exodites, genestealer cults, god-specific books (ala daemonkin), and so on are surely on the horizon. So long as they continue to (mostly) balance the new books well against one another, I'm all for this. :)

Also, the new skitarii models are cool enough for me to want to peek at their book even if I don't see myself starting a collection any time soon.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: April 5, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
I heard that the codex is going to be soft cover unlike the recent codices.  When you compare this price to that of a hard cover like the harlequin s, how's it stand up?  I don't know comparative prices in quid.

I didn't realize that it was a soft cover.  Now I'm not sure if it's good value or not.  For reference, £20 is $30 US dollars (well, $29.84 to be exact) and $37.25 Canadian dollars.

Personally, I'm glad the skitarii are getting a release. I'm not a huge mechanicus fan, I'm always a fan of new factions being represented in 40k.  New content means new options and new stories to tell on the tabletop.  Skitarii getting a release is indicative of GW's decision to start releasing content for minor factions.  Things like exodites, genestealer cults, god-specific books (ala daemonkin), and so on are surely on the horizon. So long as they continue to (mostly) balance the new books well against one another, I'm all for this. :)

Also, the new skitarii models are cool enough for me to want to peek at their book even if I don't see myself starting a collection any time soon.

I completely agree!  I can't wait to see what they do next!  :)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #24 on: April 5, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
The soft cover bit was just something I heard in passing, so don't quote me on it.  But at that price, it makes it comparable to the soft covers they did in the past.  I mean, Codex: Harlequins costs $60 CDN.  $40 is bang on what they cost before they went to the higher quality hard covers.

However, looking at the image they have for the pre-order on their website, it is clearly a hard cover.  So ignore anything I have said. 

Hmmm... 80 pages, so a little smaller than the Harlequins.  I wonder if they are skimping on the fluff, pictures, or rules?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: April 5, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »
I hope not.  Surely the admech would have a tonne of fluff to tell.  Maybe (hopefully) the codex is small because the number of units is also small...there's what, seven so far?  That's the number of units you'd find within a typical factions FOC section.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: April 5, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »

Personally I think it stands up very well. When I bought the Harlequin Codex for £30 I felt ripped off when I saw how thin the Codex is. In my opinion 20 quid is a lot more realistic for what I consider to be a truncated Codex. I am fairly sure that the last paperback Codex I bought was £25 so £20 for the small Skitarii Codex seems a balanced price point and highly unusual for GW.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #27 on: April 5, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
As far as i remember the last soft codex (eldar 4th edition) i got was at 28 euros wich is the actual equivalent of those 20£. If it's  a hard codex i wonder where they cut the price.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »

As ever Wyldhunt you make some good points but I still can't shake this meh feeling. When I was in my nearest GW on Saturday there was a pre teen buying a Dark Vengeance box along with paints, glue, brushes and a Dark Angles Codex. In my opinion this is precisely the kind of buyer that GW needs/wants and I still can't get it straight in my head who will buy the likes of all the minor factions that you mention in sufficient quantity to make it worth the manufacturing cost.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: April 5, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »
The long time veterans like me will go for those.  It's nice that GW is actually going down this route as I remember that there was a lot of grumbling about GW 'not catering to the loyal long term players and collectors'.  These minor faction forces seem to be them addressing that. 

Also, if the models are good enough, it's always easy to get people to go for them.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »
I'd actually think that having more factions would be good for new customers. I think it's good for GW to keep releasing the starter sets like dark vengeance, but having more factiosn available means there are more flavors for people to sink their teeth into.  If a player likes the general idea of the eldar but doesn't like the ennui of the craftworlders or the moustache twirling of the dark eldar, he might like the corsairs or the harlequins. GW has been giving marine players a variety of options for years.  Now they're branching out into xenos and non-marine imperials so that we have in-depth options beyond 50 shades of power armor. 

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
Now they're branching out into xenos and non-marine imperials so that we have in-depth options beyond 50 shades of power armor.

Thats actually a things i like and dislike at the same time.
Well having more things to play against is defenetly funnier so i like it because of this. But at the same time i dislike it because more army to play against means more enemies to know about and i already have a hard time remembering everything in my army and the most common army i face... so more ... gonna have to put some work into this^^

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: April 5, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Say, where are we going to house the future Skitarii threads on the site?  Will a new board be made up?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #33 on: April 5, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
Guard for the time being, as it's the default for non powered armour Imperial forces. See how it goes regarding traffic.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #34 on: April 5, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »
Guard for the time being, as it's the default for non powered armour Imperial forces. See how it goes regarding traffic.

That suits me just fine!  8)

I don't know who else is considering getting the codex but I ordered mine today and I volunteer to be the Skitarri guinea pig for the site.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #35 on: April 5, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »
I was thinking of ordering one but GW's website password recovery system in just amphetamine parrote. Hence I'll probably go into a local store and buy one over the counter, like an ANIMAL!
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline wren

• I call Shenannigans!
  • Armies: Eldar & Orks
« Reply #36 on: April 5, 2015, 11:33:47 PM »
Skitarii as a faction I could take or leave, but it's an encouraging trend. Between the harlies and Skitarii we're expanding from the core races, and while I'm not sure we need yet another set of imperial forces they at least have a different silhouette and aren't just another set of bloomin space marines! I'm hoping that they'll start looking more seriously at the bad guys soon though.

(from here on this is part rant, part wishlisting, feel free to ignore)

Between inquisition, marines, Sisters, IG and now admech the imperial forces can ally to cover almost every base while the 'nids suffer from a sub standard codex and no chance for proper allies. Chaos has also been a bit lacklustre for the past... 10 years? but now we see the possibilities of some interesting factions coming out of it rather than just getting a book to gether together a bunch of themed units from existing books. For example Cult lists, maybe led by some marines who's armour have broken over 10,000 years? Traitor guard with some demon support?
These guys are supposed to be the big bad of the setting, but I don't know anyone who's remotely interested in playing them.

We've also got Genestealer cults, Zoats, Tau empire subraces, Exodites, Grot rebellions (oh please!), demiurge, the list goes on and on. Even if they're not huge releases we should try to get to the stage where each big codex has at least one allied sub codex (although what you'd put with the necrons eludes me for the moment... any thoughts?).
I've always been of the opinion that the xenos races don't get enough support in terms of releases (and to be fair, why bother when there are all the space marines chapters sharing kits) but some get it worse than others.

I'd really just like to see each of the other races get half as many options as those playing imperials have, and I'm really exited to see these new smaller codexes come in and seem to be giving us that opportunity!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #37 on: April 6, 2015, 03:58:45 AM »
@wren  warning this next paragraph is slightly of topicfeel free to ignore

I think for tiranide it would be as tricky as necron, i mean one fight eat all the biomass and the other one fight to destroy all bio mass... basicly they can't have ally. May be together but that wluld make no sense necron wluld try to kill them. For tyrankde the only sub codece i see would be different fleat but... i don't know how you would difference them, different upgrade? Different monstruous creature orientation, signaling that this guy's did not evolve from the same things... will still be hard in my opinion. As for necron maybe make some difference between the different homeworld they are coming from bjt same here why wluld they be different? May an enphasis on different mechanical idea, but this kind of things would conciderably reduce the choice of unit for a player if he want to play something...

that's nice to see now we have at least two guinea pigs for some in game testing :D
I will have to agree with you The GrimSqueaker this thing is complete bullamphetamine parrot. Work only when it please and that's never when you need it.
Well then i'm looking forward to your feedback once you guy's got your hand on this ^^

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #38 on: April 6, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »
I welcome the trend a lot. Knights, Harlies now Skitarii. It's clear that those releases are aimed at long time enthusiats who want to add some little extra flavour to their collections.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here (not an expert on Imperial fluff) but is it just me or would Skitarii make awesome allies for Necrons in certain scenarios? I could totally see some Omnissiah devotees fighting alongside the Techno Master Race :D

I kinda dig the look of the models. Especially the Rangers look awesome with their Cyber-Steam-Punk outfit and rifles. The walkers are kinda cool too, i like that T-Rex approach and that giant tuning fork adds a lot of Tesla-esque weirdnes. The Ruststalkers seem nice too.

I'd probably not want to play a stand-alone army of Skitarii but since I've been thinking about building up a small unbound army for a while now, i could totally see myself ordering some Deathkorps and mix them with Ad Mech, Grey Knights, Inquisitorial forces, Assassins or Necrons.

Overall I'm looking forward to this release and I will buy the book for sure.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #39 on: April 6, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
@wren  warning this next paragraph is slightly of topicfeel free to ignore

I think for tiranide it would be as tricky as necron, i mean one fight eat all the biomass and the other one fight to destroy all bio mass... basicly they can't have ally. May be together but that wluld make no sense necron wluld try to kill them. For tyrankde the only sub codece i see would be different fleat but... i don't know how you would difference them, different upgrade? Different monstruous creature orientation, signaling that this guy's did not evolve from the same things... will still be hard in my opinion. As for necron maybe make some difference between the different homeworld they are coming from bjt same here why wluld they be different? May an enphasis on different mechanical idea, but this kind of things would conciderably reduce the choice of unit for a player if he want to play something...

Genestealer cults would make perfectly good allies for tyranids as would zoats (though those didn't sell well initially) or possibly a Sarah Kerrigan style "symbiote swarm."