News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Have you ever encountered this problem? [Necron Hate]  (Read 14527 times)

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
Have you ever encountered this problem? [Necron Hate]
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:29:47 AM »
So at my LGS I have a very large problem.

Necron Hate.

And I mean alot of it. These guys badmouth any player who plays necrons, and their biggest complaint overall is the "cheeze" of the wbb rolls and the monolith rules. The wargear also seems to piss them off quite a bit, and I have had more then a few people that I have played and lost against many times quit playing me completely after I beat them only once.

Tonight I had enough and flatly told my opponent to grow up when he complained about me using the power matrix to pull my necron warriors out of CC. He wouldnt quit going on about the cheeze of the monolith and my destroyer lords lightning field wargear.

He also quit before I finished his sorry butt off.

Anyone else encounter hate with necrons or other races from players? Personally I tell them that until games workshop decides to change the codex to grow up and deal with it. The necrons are a playable race, and just because you cant fight them as easily as others doesnt mean they are not just as good as any race.

Rant off. I feel better now.

edit: forgot to also mention, the girl im seeing is taking up 40k, and is also going necrons. this should be interesting to watch.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:42:08 AM by Rasmus »
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
Re: Have you ever encountered this problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:35:31 AM »
Mostly my opponents like the challange of playing against Necrons, especially with an allrounder list.

They mostly groan when playing against my nids as they don't like this army ;)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
Mostly my opponents like the challange of playing against Necrons, especially with an allrounder list.

They mostly groan when playing against my nids as they don't like this army ;)
the few times i have played against nids, i have enjoyed myself. lost every time, but thats due to no exp fighting them  :D
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
One of the most challanging armies for my nids so far is Necrons ;)

Especially when I play 1 of my friends who is an old metal geezer (necron variant :p) and knows his army to the letter.

Besides that IMHO Tau is more cheese then Necrons :p

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ork Boy
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:54:57 AM »
One of the most challanging armies for my nids so far is Necrons ;)

Especially when I play 1 of my friends who is an old metal geezer (necron variant :p) and knows his army to the letter.

Besides that IMHO Tau is more cheese then Necrons :p

tau? hmmmm i actually think they are pretty fair, i mean extremely good long range, but when my orks get up on them they tear them apart.

i think they are just geting more ansty lately because im geting better with my necrons. they all like to field assault armys for space marines and such.

and on a liter note, 1 scarab swarm survived a wave of CC from 10 jump marines, and made 6 out of 8 saves tonight against said opponent.  :o 

sadly the leader unit they had hit him with a power fist. still. twas sweet.  ;D

SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline lasblaster

• All glory to the infantry
Re: Have you ever encountered this problem? [Necron Hate]
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »
The only thing I dislike about necrons is that necron players seem to be way to good at rolling a 4+. One game, the I rolled nothing but direct hits for my basalisk, and I think the damn thing killed maybe 5 necrons...
In friendly games settle it in whatever way you traditionally use; D6 rolls, drinking contests, bareknuckle fisticuffs, or competetive haiku poetry.

Offline Squirrelloid

• Honor Guard
  • Only in darkness, light
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:10 AM »
I enjoy making necron players phase out.  And the more monoliths they play, the easier that is.  Not to mention pulling troops out of melee just means I get to charge them again...
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels - Chip 4:2

Unusual SM armies

Angband Code:
S WI(x) !Xok ht->ho !C P88 DL:5000' A++ R+++ Sp+ w: mjolnir or wrestling
S(ToME) W H- D+ !c f- PV+ !s d !P M+
C-- S+ I- So- B- ac !GHB SQ RQ++ V- F: multipage inventory

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:00:14 AM »
Depends on the Necron player, really.  Some play without thinking, relying purely on their uber special rules to win games.  Some think, making full use of each and every single one of those rules utterly ruthlessly.

Guess which one is more dangerous?

Not every Necron player is going to 'let' you assault his units again with any ease when he teleports units away.  Simple turning the Monolith around and shielding the unit with its mass will make it hard for most units, even if they are practically standing next to it.  Which of course leaves the unit they've left behind vulnerable to its Flux Generators, and the unit that has just teleported.

Destroyers are probably the single most deadly thing in the game that doesn't have an Assault Cannon, and they are much more durable then most of those and usually faster as well.  Murphy's Law says that if you shoot down four out of five of them, they'll all stand back up again next turn.  You have to kill the whole unit (or all of the units in the area as it may be - a common tactic I've seen is to pair two smaller squadrons together so they make full use of We'll Be Back).  This can be highly frustrating.

Wraiths aren't very good at killing things, but they are very good at holding up units for large periods of time.  So what if you have an uber assault unit with 20 power weapon attacks...that 2+ save is just going to laugh it off.  Again, highly frustrating, since even if you manage to kill them off you've wasted time fighting a relatively cheap throwaway unit.

In general, Necrons are frustrating to play against.  You can beat them, but you have to really think about what you're doing when you do.  Concentrating fire on one unit until it's completely destroyed is the only real way to put a dent in them.  And trying to phase them out is often impossible, since alot of Necron players make sure they have more Destroyers then their phase out number and only 'allow' you to get a good number of shots at the standard Warriors.

Very frustrating indeed.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:13:39 AM »
Depends on the Necron player, really.  Some play without thinking, relying purely on their uber special rules to win games.  Some think, making full use of each and every single one of those rules utterly ruthlessly.

................... .........

Very frustrating indeed.

~Andromidius

very true. even i will admit that if i was facing necrons id be hard pressed to beat them, but i dont think i would ever take it to the level of stupid that these guys tend to.

i always equate hard to kill, with challenge.

and they are mad because im turning from the player who uses all the special rules to survive, to the ruthless kind  ::) about time i started to get this stuff, been playing since july 07

SightlessBlind - YouTube

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong.  I like a challenge, and I relish the chance I get to play a good competitive army.  I certainly don't mind losing either.

But...

Sometimes you just feel like you can't win even if you roll a string of 6's against Necrons.  Because all that good luck will be completely nullified by their good luck. 

And Resurrection Orbs, of course.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
necron can be a pain to play, but do to the phase out rule there not that bad.  Monoliths are nasty the ability to transport troops is nasty but not unbeatable  they can deepstrike and land right next to the enemy and not die which is bad.  Monolith with in 12 inches is just sick. 

The up side is the more monoliths the less troops there will be on the field making phase out easier. 

I like to deepstriking terminators behind necrons and force them to run to your lines.  granted they can transport them out of assault but then where to. there is no shielding if the enemy is on both sides of the monoliths. 

also most people will deepstrike their monoliths so maybe they will role bad to bring them in but most necron player have blessed dice nothing under a 4.

keeping the necrons in assault  will shield you from the monoliths, you need to assault you won't out shoot them,  speed kills necrons not guns 

my 2 cents

I love playing necrons there tough
 with nids I like to play them to

you shoot shoot  the longer you keep your gun firing before he hits your line the better and space out your units so they can't move from assault to assault they need to be shot in between assaults. I'd rather shot them and assault then have them assault me I'd gladly take away one of their attack if I can they get enough.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:54 AM »
I cringe if someone puts down 3 Monoliths in a game under 2000pts as I think many people would, purely because I know if they DS my Infantry is gonna be whole world of hurt unless I can get to grips with his warriors and force phase out, but I've never witnessed a game with the levels of Necron Hate as you describe it.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »
I don't understand why he complains about lightning fields, no tournament necron army would use something as underpowerd as that. Not to mention most of the 'real' powerbuilds for necrons forcus on either monolith spam or destoryer spam (as in totally maxed out) led by a cy'tan. Even so its rare to see a necron army winning tournaments or even hitting the top ten; Eldar, Tau, Nidzillia and drop IG/Marines are all more common.

Fact is necrons aren't overpowered, if anything by the current standards they've fallen behind somewhat in terms of codex creep.

You could always use irony, "What, frag grenades? Thats ghey! I can't get frag grenades... you and your cheesey frag grenade using army!" ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline atropine

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
So what if you have an uber assault unit with 20 power weapon attacks...that 2+ save is just going to laugh it off.

Little mishap there?

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
In my area most of the hate is directed against Eldar, at least most of the vocal hate.  Personally, the army I dislike the most is necrons.  I had quite a chuckle when a necron player was saying something about how sure Eldar have weaknesses, but they have ways to compensate for all those weaknesses, so they really don't have weaknesses.  I thought, hmmm, that sounds familiar.  I know an army that has a better statline across the board (except inititive), that has the most useful basic weapons in the game (so much so that there is no need for any dedicated antitank weaponry), can have as many as three save opportunities (SV, WBB, Monolith WBB), is not too good at CC (though it still has a WS4???), but can pull two or three units out of cc with little difficulty leaving the CC unit standing in the open to get shot to pieces, has no pressing need for cover since it can be guaranteed saves even against the nastiest of weapons...  The res orb nullifies any attempt to deny WBB.  Veil and the Monolith save units from cc.  There are great counters two the two biggest weaknesses that necrons have.  And he was complaining that Eldar can compensate for their weaknesses. ::)

Perhaps the most anoying thing about some necron armies is when they just gather in a tight cluster and stand there shooting you the whole game.  There is little in the way of tactics involved in ensuring the whole army is in veil and res orb range, then just rolling dice.  It is annoying when an army can be very successful with such a simple plan.  And when there are 10-15 destroyers supporting the large warrior squads, you can pretty much forget about denying wwb rolls by destroying the whole unit.  You have to have some serious firepower to drop 10 destroyers in one round of shooting (don't know if I ever dropped 10, but I did drop 9 of 9 once, wraithcannons, mmmm), and if just one of them happens to be hiding out of line of sight, it won't matter that you drop the 9 that can be seen because they will just get right back up again.

Ok that was a bit of a rant about what is annoying about necrons.  They are the hardest army for me to deal with personally, particularly with my DE (they have great counters for everything), but I enjoy challenges.  I try to limit my vocalizations of the annoyances of necrons (online to a bunch of people I don't know doesn't really count) and focus instead of developing ways to beat them.  The challenge of cracking that code is enjoyable, as is using a cheap throw away squad to lock necrons in HTH so that they will be veiled out and nicely packed for three destructor blasts (wound on 2s, ap3) from my ravager, or nicely packed for horrorfex shots (pin test at minus how ever many models are under the blast, 10-7 = 3, have fun passing that one ;)).

Necrons have to be approached in a manner very different than any other army.  This proves very frustrating to anyone who isn't willing to spend the effort develping a different set of tactics and mindset.  In some ways that is the same thing that causes many to dislike Eldar so much.

If your gaming group can't handle the challenge, and if you manage to win almost all the time, why not create a tougher challenge for yourself by using less than optimal builds.  If they have a bit more success, they may have their perspective slowly changed.  You will also get better by learning how to win with different less effective tools.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline scarycrow

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Welcome to life, lol everywhere you go everything you do there will always be those people who blame everything on something. The puddle that splashed them was caused by the truck that drove there, the truck was driven by a man who was born from a mother who knew your great grandmother, so it is your fault they where splashed. Those type of people are best to be ignored and treated like the childern they are.
IT IS A GAME ENJOY IT OR STOP PLAYING IT!

Offline jeremiahdrigg

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
I hear about this crap everyday almost. Be it Necrons or Eldar. Like the guy above said tell them to grow up; or find another gaming troup than can appreciate a good slap to the face by a gauss cannon. I would prefer the later. good luck and dont let whiney babys get you down no matter how old they are.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
So what if you have an uber assault unit with 20 power weapon attacks...that 2+ save is just going to laugh it off.

Little mishap there?

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Res Orb, of course.

*dodge!*

And of course, the 'Phalanx Formation' tactic is very nasty indeed.  Especially if there's at least two Monoliths and four units of Warriors involved.  Two units hide at the back and avoid getting shot at while trying to work their way around both flanks (possibly baiting the enemy forward or splitting them up).  Then the two Monoliths Deep Strike behind the enemy, dropping two more units of Warriors and ripping their rear apart.  Next turn the two units in your deployment zone teleport in as well (hopefully being in range - hense the flanking around).  Vola, the majority of a Necron army is now in your deployment zone.

Not a pleasent prospect for certain armies (namely gunlines and slow assault troops).

~Andromidius
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:11:21 PM by Andromidius »
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline HourOfNeed

• “The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
I think that the necron haters are all jealous, i sometimes find that people shout cheese at my eldar army for including a single Wraithlord and i only ever take one lol.

If its in the codex then it its ok
“The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.” - First Sea Lord - John Arbuthnot Fisher.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
if they beat you then it's fine if they loose to you then it's all cheese.  just the way some people are and that's the way it is.