News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70411 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants - Celestine
« Reply #120 on: March 5, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Sick! Congrats on finishing your BB team Loosh, they look fantastic! Love the objective markers too... glad I got you pumped for scenery... I've got some now rare Warhammer Fantasy bits to round out my objective markers on the way...

Also Celestine! Guess what bro? I'm working on the Triumvirate too! But I've got to paint her white for my client... this should be cool to see each of our models turn out. The scheme I have to do is a bit weird... but hopefully I can make it work.

Anyway great stuff man. The paint jobs are sick as ever... and I love the new objective markers. Can't wait to see you play some games and to see your board. Great stuff... keep it rolling and I hope you and your family are feeling better!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Blood Bowl Diorama - Belisarius Cawl
« Reply #121 on: March 6, 2017, 05:34:51 AM »
Your Orks are looking really really good :) you're dead right about them all being different, but still cohesive. Perfect Orky look :)

Love the objective markers too :) where are the bits from?

Cheers man, I appreciate the kind words!

It's all from the munitorum armoured containers set. I've been meaning to paint them up for a little while. I have absolutely stacks of barrels and other detritus from the battlefield accessories set, but I haven't done much with them - I just tend to use them as scatter terrain on the board. I'm trying to move towards having more set little terrain pieces that almost tell little stories. Whether that means having a single large container on a base with some barrels and cases around to represent a supply dump, or a ring of barrels/boxes/tank traps on a base representing a hasty barricade erected for a last stand. Just terrain that tells a story, in addition to looking cool.

Sick! Congrats on finishing your BB team Loosh, they look fantastic! Love the objective markers too... glad I got you pumped for scenery... I've got some now rare Warhammer Fantasy bits to round out my objective markers on the way...

Cheers man. The team took a lot longer than I had planned. Each mini just involved more work per stage than I had anticipated. I didn't mind too much though, as there are cool minis to work with. If I didn't think that I would like how they looked at the end of the process, I think I would have taken way longer to paint them up.

Also Celestine! Guess what bro? I'm working on the Triumvirate too! But I've got to paint her white for my client... this should be cool to see each of our models turn out. The scheme I have to do is a bit weird... but hopefully I can make it work.

No way! I have a funny feeling that you'll end up finishing the set before I finish 1 of the hand maidens (Horizon Zero Dawn is fantastic and I think I'm going to lose a lot of painting time to slaying metal antelope instead...)!!

Really interested to see how the white Celestine turns out. I find white to be the hardest colour for me to paint. Or maybe not the white, but the shaded elements. It always just looks a little bit wrong. If you manage to pull off that job and have it look amazing, you're a hobby God!

I hope you and your family are feeling better!

All good now thanks. Also, my wife and I have come to an accord. We will never both get sick at the same time ever again while we have a child in the house. That is some rough stuff to deal with!!!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #122 on: April 6, 2017, 06:00:40 AM »
Wow. A warning about threadomancy for me posting on this thread. It sure has been a slow month!

I really got sidetracked by my PS4 and as such it's taken until this week to get back on track.

What didn't help is that, for whatever reason, I really found little joy in painting Celestine. She's a great model, with bags of character. It should have been fun, but it just wasn't. I think I got annoyed early on that I had stuck on the head and wings, when it probably would have been a better idea to keep them separate. On top of that, I then really struggles with the cream/white elements of the cloak. I just wasn't getting the result that I was after.

So I stopped painting her. I wish I could say I moved onto something else, but I didn't. It was only earlier this week when I got bored of the Saint staring up at me reproachfully that I picked up the brush again. I don't think it's my best work, but I'm not unhappy with the results. I have retouched the face since this photo - faces are still something that I have to work on. I am, however, really happy with the gold, silver and red elements of the model. Also, the spot colours on the roses and doves worked better than I expected.

There are loads of things a love about this model, there are several things I don't. After trying to retouch all of those things though, I'm not improving them...so I have what I consider an imperfect model. Which is fine. I painted her because I like the model and wanted to challenge myself. If ever I field an Imperial army, she would look fine at its' head. I'm not going to dwell on her though. I'll move on, paint something else and just take away the lessons that I've learnt.

Enough rambling:

Front on. The eyes look blobby in this light, from this view. They aren't, but it is one of the facets that I'm only 60% happy with. I still may go back and redo the face entirely...

I like this view. Profile from the left of the mini. I think it shows up the doves well, while the face and hair look good from this angle. Thanks go to Cav for the hints and tips about the doves. I ended up using Nihilakh Oxide for the wash, as I preferred a slightly softer finish.

I won't lie. I got lazy with the freehand. I was going to do way more, but I just wanted the model finished so that I could move on to other projects that I might enjoy more. So you get some letters and that's it. If I can find some decent transfers, I may add them.

So there you go. I still have work to do on her handmaidens, but I'll fit those in with other projects. I want to go back at some stage to do a little weathering on her, but for the sake of achieving anything in 2017, I really need to move onto other projects to get my mojo back.

I think I have a stupidly large pile of Eldar somewhere in the garage...time to investigate...
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 06:02:11 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #123 on: April 6, 2017, 07:01:57 AM »
I think it came out great Loosh. I think the face, cloak and wings all look fantastic. The doves came out great too... glad that tip helped. Wish I had used the Oxide paint as I actually have it on hand.

You are right though... its a bear of a model to paint. The sculpting on the face is sooooooo soft its hard to get a wash on there, so many freaking angles on the model you HAVE to hit, there are no hidden spots... and the wings... oh the wings. What a nightmare. I really wish I had airbrushed the wings but like you I glued them on. Over all I've noticed really shallow details on recent sculpts, like the feathers on the various Aquilla and whatnot which means you can just hit it with a good strong wash... you gotta hand paint the shading on each feather etc...

Anyway I think it came out great. Really hope you do tackle some Eldar... I'm DYING to get back to my own models... but commissions come first  :'( :'( :'( Anyway bud great stuff. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #124 on: April 6, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
Looks good to me Loosh. I can see what you and Cav are saying about the soft features and all the minor gradations in the sculpt. That makes you a very fiddly paint job. It would be very unsatisfying for me to paint her as well.

Forget the space elves, more greenskins for me please!  :D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #125 on: April 6, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
'An imperfect model'? What are you wittering on about Loosh ;) she looks really really nice :)

I do get what you mean about the shallow details being much harder to paint. In general GW seem to have been moving more towards deeper detail which is much more wash-friendly but not Celestine apparently!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
A-ma-zing!! Your manipulation of colour is top shelf, Looshkin. Couldn't get past the first page without having to express the awe your work evokes... Now back to perusing.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Harlequins
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
Get a comfy chair, I'm afraid this is a wall of text and pictures!!

Anyway I think it came out great. Really hope you do tackle some Eldar...

Well, first off, thank you so much for your kind words. Celestine was just one of those models that, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get right...and it seems like a fairly simple model to do at first glance. The detail is so obvious and nicely pronounced, so it should be easy...but then that damn face. It's an area to work on.

I'm glad that the idea of me doing Eldar has piqued your interest...hopefull y this update will please you!

Looks good to me Loosh. I can see what you and Cav are saying about the soft features and all the minor gradations in the sculpt. That makes you a very fiddly paint job. It would be very unsatisfying for me to paint her as well.

Forget the space elves, more greenskins for me please!  :D

Thanks DoW, appreciate the kind words.

I'd love to oblige with the Orks...but my wife walked into our garage the other day and asked when I was opening my own branch of GW  :-\ I have shelves of stuff to work on and the things occupying the shelves are dominated by Eldar.

'An imperfect model'? What are you wittering on about Loosh ;) she looks really really nice :)

I do get what you mean about the shallow details being much harder to paint. In general GW seem to have been moving more towards deeper detail which is much more wash-friendly but not Celestine apparently!

Yeah, the detail is actually good on most of the model...and in fairness, they have absolutely nailed the facial features. If they were trying to get the look of a young, fresh, pure female face, they nailed it. It just makes it difficult for a glorified paint by numbers painter like me (and I stand by that assessment of my abilities, as you will rarely, if ever, see top level effects out of me. I've tried, I've failed. Simple blends, washes and dry brushing are my staples...and as long as you stay within the lines whilst using thinned paints, you get a good effect.)

A-ma-zing!! Your manipulation of colour is top shelf, Looshkin. Couldn't get past the first page without having to express the awe your work evokes... Now back to perusing.

Hurry up and get to page 7! A lot of the early pages were work from 2015 that I hadn't got round to finishing completely. I only really got back into painting late in 2016, so I'm really happy with the fact that, even though progress is slow, I'm working consistently and getting a bit done every week. It doesn't lead to the biggest plog, but hopefully I'll never have to use threadomancy...and hopefully I won't burn out like I did in 2014 when I painted so much I couldn't face another paint brush!

Anyway, onto the latest update...and it's the most noteworthy 6 figure update that I'll ever post because I had to exorcise a lot of daemons in order to get this lot done.

It was the time for tiny diamonds.

I have been scared as hell of the prospect of painting Harlequins for years. Ever since the finecast miniatures were released a few years ago, I desperately wanted to paint them...and always avoided them because, if I paint a model, I want to do it justice. I've churned out a lot of work that I'm happy with because it fits the style of the army, whilst knowing that it isn't my finest work, technically...such as my Orks and Skaven. I've also done things like Swordmasters of Hoeth and the High Elf Prince on Griffon that I know won't ever see the battlefield, but I wanted to paint them and I'm proud of the results.

But Harlequins always seemed a bridge too far for me. They scared me.

Until I decided that I needed to grow a ball sack and at least try them. It helped that I had thought about them so long that some of my ideas for weapon colours and the like had been mulled and discarded long ago...I was initially going to paint the weapons bone coloured, but think it would have looked out of place...and the gold that GW uses is a scheme that I like and have a lot of recent experience with. It also helped that when I painted the Skaven Blood Bowl Gutter Runners, I was really pleased with the black elements of the cloaks. So the black and the gold elements I thought would now be less daunting.

So the only real mental hurdles were the tiny diamonds...well, I would do them first. If they didn't work out, I would start again. And again. And again, until I had achieved something I liked.

I had previously assembled the minis. I left them as the legs stuck to the bases, with the torsos complete, but separate. I had blue tac on hand to put the minis together as required so that I could see if what I was doing was working or not - and to assess the balance of the miniature (colour wise) as I progressed.

Enough with the prattle, on with the pictures. First, some WiPs:

Assembled, base coated black. Any motley first based with Calder Sky, then 2 layers of Lothern Blue.

The tricky bit. Thinned Abaddon black lines painted on for the diamond shapes. This is the hardest step throughout the process. I had to redo this several times on a couple of the models. The trick was ensuring the paint was very thin and then I did one line at a time, snaking around the whole limb. Then a line parallel to that. Repeat as required. Then go at it from an angle about 45 degrees off the first line. Do another parallel to that, then rinse and repeat.

Sorry for the next photo being a bit crappy. I then filled in the red diamonds using mephiston red. I wasn't too pleased with the result, but persevered.

I then cleaned up the diamonds slightly using Lothern Blue and Mephiston Red. That helped define the shape better. The key step was adding a highlight though. It really helped define the shape and make it pop a little:

I did the gold next. Retribution armour base, Agrax shade followed by he raised areas being picked out with Liberator Gold. A few fine highlights of Mithril Silver (Yup, still have some of that! But Stormiest works just fine) on the extreme points. I actually redid every weapon, as I highlighted everything too much and it washed out the colours.

I attacked the yellow cloth areas next. Averland Sunset base (what a great colour that is too!) with a Seraphim Sepia wash. Highlighted with Yriel and Flash Gitz Yellow. The masks were based with Celestra Grey (Holy amphetamine parrot Cav, you're right! What an amazing colour!).

I then gave the masks a wash of Asurmen Blue before applying White Scar to all the raised areas. I could have broken this down to Pallid Wych Flesh then White Scar for a more graduated finish, but didn't feel the need given the finish.
If you're wondering, the Neural Shredder is Kantor Blue, with Sotek Green, Temple Guard Blue and Lothern Blue highlights.

At this point, I started working on the hair and the gems. Blue gems, using Kantor, Caledor, Lothern and Baharroth Blues, with a dot of white scar...only the Kantor and Caledor steps are shown. The hair started with Xereus Purple.

I'm afraid that, at this point, I got rather carried away. I totally forgot any more WiPs! So we'll have to leap to the finished article!!!!

The whole Troupe:

The Troupe Master. I desperately wanted to give him a crystal sword, but I just couldn't nail the feathering technique required to get the right effect. I'll try again in the future, but I want to enter these guys into a local painting comp next week, so don't have the time.

I airbrushed on the diamonds on the cloak using a stencil. I have to go back and clean up the part with the damage...I'm amazed, but I genuinely didn't notice the damage until after I had airbrushed. Attention to detail Loosh!!!!!!

The hair, after the Xereus purple base, had a thin Sotek green layer from 1/3 of the way along. Then a thicker layer of Sotek from 2/3 of the way along. Tied together with Nuln oil wash and then thin highlights of Slaanesh Grey to half way, Baharroth Blue the rest of the way.

There's a lot more colour change in the red diamonds on the cloak, which isn't picked up in the lightbox.

Another of the whole gang.

Right. I'm exhausted. This is the longest post ever. I'm also knackered from all the painting. I'm also really knackered because I've spotted a gem that I need to paint (totally missed it FFS!) and also a few of the black highlights that I want to tidy up slightly.

These have been the most exhausting and most rewarding of all the models that I've painted. I like to think that I've challenged myself and I like to think that I've learned some valuable lessons on the way.

But yeah. Mainly I'm totally knackered!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:24:26 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
Your words on procrastinating before the harlequin job mirrors my current feelings towards them now. What a marvellous body of work, Looshkin. I'm impressed!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
You've painted those Harlequins superbly.  I am very impressed by the choice of colours, the contrasts, and the level of detail.  They have turned out exceptionally well.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
Absolutely terrific Loosh! Forget about me asking for more orks, I can't get enough of these harlies. I simply love the colour palette you chose and your execution is superb. Bravo!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Masque of the Midnight Sorrow. Nice!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
Well done! As they say, diamonds are forever!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
very nice work on the diamonds!
Loving the blended diamonds on the cloaks too.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Your words on procrastinating before the harlequin job mirrors my current feelings towards them now. What a marvellous body of work, Looshkin. I'm impressed!

Jump in and try them Dann. I've seen your work, you're easily capable of doing them justice. It's a cathartic experience too...almost like striking something off the bucket list!

You've painted those Harlequins superbly.  I am very impressed by the choice of colours, the contrasts, and the level of detail.  They have turned out exceptionally well.

Yeah, I think I have to thank GW for the colour scheme  ;) It's really fun to work with such bold colours...and so many different bold colours too. I'm glad you like them Iri (Channeling the spirit of Cav here...but I don't suppose they might inspire you to break out a paint brush at all?  :o )

Absolutely terrific Loosh! Forget about me asking for more orks, I can't get enough of these harlies. I simply love the colour palette you chose and your execution is superb. Bravo!

Again, it's GW's scheme...I just try not to butcher it! You will get more Orks at some stage though, they're just too much fun not to paint...although I have currently run out. Or have I? Just remembered I haven't cracked into the Shadow Run supply!

Masque of the Midnight Sorrow. Nice!

I'll not lie KS, seeing your excellent army really provided a lot of impetus to tackle this project. Given how long it took to paint 6 of the guys, I think I can expect to paint an army over the course of the next...I dunno...7 years or so?

Really, your army is superb and I can only hope to have the perseverance and patience to put together something so good.

Well done! As they say, diamonds are forever!

Well, that's the trouble isn't it! It's what makes painting the buggers so damn time consuming!!

very nice work on the diamonds!
Loving the blended diamonds on the cloaks too.

Glad you like them Magenb. I was really on the fence with whether to do the cloak diamonds, but I'm glad that I did. Probably the most nerve wracking airbrushing that I've done...I was amphetamine parrotting myself with fear when I took off the masking tape!

Thanks all for your kind words. I just have to work out what I'm going to do next. I think I may well stick to Harlequins for a little while...although the draw of Ynnari Eldar is quite strong at the moment.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2017, 07:31:35 AM »
Absolutley phenomenal Loosh! Wow...  really show stoppers. I love the sort of diamond fade on the back of the coats... and the overall how large the diamond pattern is. It gives them really great definition. The colors overall are so vivid. Congrats man... this is a huge milestone for any Eldar player. Especially when they are executed so flawlessly. Seriously phenomenal work my man. Some of your best painted minis IMO and thats saying a lot.

Now your next mission... once 8th edition rolls around... get these guys into battle. I want battle reports and pictures damn it! lol

Again congrats bud, you nailed these!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
I'm glad you like them Iri (Channeling the spirit of Cav here...but I don't suppose they might inspire you to break out a paint brush at all?  :o )

Nope, since there is no way I will ever be able to paint to the standard I want and I find painting to be tension inducing.  It has, however, inspired me to do something else :).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:55:25 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
Bloody hell Looshkin I am not sure what impresses me the most your painting or the amount of work you have put into this post. For me this is what a Project Blog should be all about. WIP, great pictures and the inclusion of your thoughts and feelings about the whole process. I am blown away.

The inclusion off how you lined out the chequer pattern before blocking it in is a marvellous thing to see from a hobby voyeur point of view as it really gets across how the technique works.

The finished product is just brilliant and for me one sign that you have mastered this technique is how quilted the finished product looks. The diamonds have a real three dimensional look to them. Brilliant.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:43:35 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
These guys are stunning Loosh! Your fears were entirely unfounded, you've done them immense justice :)

You're absolutely right the little highlight on the diamonds really takes them that extra step, and personally I love the sort of scarred steel look of the Troupe Master's sword. It looks exactly like what you'd get from a sort of darker carbon-steel blade that's done a lot of cutting. You get these sort of lighter silver streaks as the metal gets polished by areas of differing pressure. Very realistic :)

Speaking of silvers, I've still got a pot of Chainmail knocking around somewhere. Wish my Mithril Silver hadn't dried up. That was a great colour :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #139 on: June 6, 2017, 05:14:11 PM »
Ugh. I got the 30 day warning when I hit reply. I need to update more regularly!

Absolutley phenomenal Loosh! Wow...  really show stoppers. I love the sort of diamond fade on the back of the coats... and the overall how large the diamond pattern is. It gives them really great definition. The colors overall are so vivid. Congrats man... this is a huge milestone for any Eldar player. Especially when they are executed so flawlessly. Seriously phenomenal work my man. Some of your best painted minis IMO and thats saying a lot.

Now your next mission... once 8th edition rolls around... get these guys into battle. I want battle reports and pictures damn it! lol

Again congrats bud, you nailed these!

Thanks Cav, it means an awful lot coming from you. I will definitely be trying to get some kind of gaming in when the new edition hits. I've been away from it for too long and am itching to dive back in.

I'm glad you like them Iri (Channeling the spirit of Cav here...but I don't suppose they might inspire you to break out a paint brush at all?  :o )

Nope, since there is no way I will ever be able to paint to the standard I want and I find painting to be tension inducing.  It has, however, inspired me to do something else :).

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying! I hope I didn't touch a nerve though. I know how bloody annoying it can be when people badger you to do something which you really aren't keen on. So I'll stop.  :)

Bloody hell Looshkin I am not sure what impresses me the most your painting or the amount of work you have put into this post. For me this is what a Project Blog should be all about. WIP, great pictures and the inclusion of your thoughts and feelings about the whole process. I am blown away.

The inclusion off how you lined out the chequer pattern before blocking it in is a marvellous thing to see from a hobby voyeur point of view as it really gets across how the technique works.

The finished product is just brilliant and for me one sign that you have mastered this technique is how quilted the finished product looks. The diamonds have a real three dimensional look to them. Brilliant.

I'm glad you appreciate the effort of the painting and the post. I agree with the sentiments on the projects...and I think for the most part, we do, as a forum, delve into the whys and whats of what we're painting. We sometimes just need to get better at the how.

I know that when I first arrived on the boards, I didn't post in the painting section for an extraordinarily long time because there were a handful of extremely talented painters that could effortlessly produce stunning results, seemingly with no effort. They also never explained their methodology...which made the board seem a little intimidating and impenetrable. I'm nowhere near as good as some of the guys from several years ago, but hopefully by explaining what I do, how I do it and why...well I hope that breaks down the barriers a little and encourages others to post and ask for help, or just show their own awesome minis.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by...I'll try to keep things rolling to the same standards moving forward.

These guys are stunning Loosh! Your fears were entirely unfounded, you've done them immense justice :)

You're absolutely right the little highlight on the diamonds really takes them that extra step, and personally I love the sort of scarred steel look of the Troupe Master's sword. It looks exactly like what you'd get from a sort of darker carbon-steel blade that's done a lot of cutting. You get these sort of lighter silver streaks as the metal gets polished by areas of differing pressure. Very realistic :)

Speaking of silvers, I've still got a pot of Chainmail knocking around somewhere. Wish my Mithril Silver hadn't dried up. That was a great colour :)

Yeah, I'm down to the dregs of my Mithril Silver...Stormhost is terrible IMHO, while Runefang is only marginally better than Stormhost. I may have some duff paints, but you kind of fall in love with a good paint, don't you?

Anyway, I'm really pleased you like the work...I must admit that the swords were frustrated afterthoughts given the fact that I just could not do a crystal sword to save my life!!

Anyway. Onto the latest update. No long how to guide this week, as it was a case of more of the same. Real life was a dick this month and got in the way horrendously. Family illnesses left, right and centre, work kicking me in the slats and general life just grinding down on me left me with very little time to hobby. It took until last week to do more than about 45 minutes work on any given day.

As such, it took a while, but the 2nd Troupe for the Masque of the Midnight Sorrow is now complete:

This guy has the half skull mask. I did the black half with Abandon Black and then coated with 'Ardcoat to give a mirrored effect. It doesn't photograph amingly, but the effect is pretty cool irl.

I also did something that I didn't do with the first troupe - I painted the inside of the greatcoats on both minis wearing them. This provides a very dark aspect when viewed from the rear, but a bit more of a riot of colour when viewed from specific angles.

In every case, given the fact you have 6 sets of legs to work with and I hate converting, I tried to ensure that models had different weapons to their same leg counterparts, or at least were posed such that they were different enough that you don't just see the same model twice.

Excuse the underexposure, but this shot explains the above point. 2 identical legs, but the original on the right looks like he's flying in to kick the crap out of someone infront of him. Everything screams that melee is coming your way - and coming in a hurry! The player on the left is quite different though, to my mind. She seems to be leaping away from a previous kill. Or avoiding incoming fire. She looks to have sprung from the left of screen and is now looking for her next foe.

2 models, similar parts, totally different results.

The Troupe Master.

Again, from the rear, largely a dark aspect.

But look from a different angle, and he's actually an absolute riot of colour.

And finally a group shot of the 12 painted Harlequins so far. I think I may finish this project in 2017, if everything lines up!

Overall, I'm pretty happy so far. I prefer some of the original 6, I prefer some of the most recent 6. I'm content that they look different enough to be moving on to the next thing. I hope that the next thing is a pair of Star Weavers for these guys. After that, probably some of the characters.

Anyway, this has turned into another mega post, so thank you for sticking with it to the end. And to those of you that skipped down to the pictures at the bottom...well I can't blame you! Thanks for stopping by all the same!!