News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help with glazing and blending  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Crazy ghost

Help with glazing and blending
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I tried following this guide to paint my IG Officer's cape but it didn't end up well.

http://www.brushthralls.com/painting-techniques/glaze-medium-3.html

The blending went not very good, you could still clearly see the edges from one color to the other. I don't know if I bought the wrong medium or if the colors I picked where not good.

I used Mordian Blue for the darkest recesses, 50/50 Mordian Blue + Skull White for the base color, Ice Blue and Space wolves Grey on the higher areas (and a mixture of the above between transitions). I used Liquitex Mate Medium. Primed the mini with Liquitex Grey Gesso (I don't have the white spray primer and the white gesso does not cover well).

Could you guys share your experiences with this technique? (Sorry no pictures, my minis are bathing in Pine Sol to start over).

Offline DutchyLion

• Official Deathdealer...
Re: Help with glazing and blending
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:30:02 AM »
Well for starters i think your colour transitions should be way smaller, i know u get a big amount of paint on your model by doing this but if u keep ur layers thin and watered down correctly, this shouldnt be a problem.
I do recommend that u use a white undercoat, in my experience the white works better with thin layers.

Here are some pics of my Bonesinger.

As u can see i started with a very dark colour for the base of the cloak, i had to put in 2 thin coats of it to cover completely, after that i very gradually built up the colour to a red gore/blood red mix (with a very small amount of blood red) while i started with a 85/15 black/scab red undercoat, so the trick is to get a big amount of thin layers to build up your colour very smoothly.
I did the same trick with the sword by the way, only the end colour is sunburst yellow so thats even more coats :P

Hope it helps.

D
''The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you Mon'Keigh still try and defy us?''
Prince Yriel.
================================================
One of the holy 10 commandments of gaming.
-''Thou shalt teabag only in the wake of unquestionable ownage''

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »
I've used glazing a fair bit with some of my armies... Mainly on things with cloaks ect.

I normally start with a spray primed skull white. Then work backwards.

Brightest colour first.

So for a red cape I would work a couple of thin layers of blood red. Probably a little thinner than the consistency of milk. I find saying working 1:1 or 50/50 misleading as sometime you get think paints that have dried a little.

After the initial coating i would then Grab a mix of Blood red and the darker colour i want to use. Say Black.

At first the mix is 1 brush of red, to a dot of black, then watered to the consistency of milk. And applied everywhere but the very highlights.

Next add another drop of black to the mix and shade a little deeper.

Keep going like this until you have a very dark recess and a nice bright highlight.

One big tip is to grab some Klear floor varnish and add a drop to the paint when your glazing as your paint will capillary a lot better.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
There's no point in glazing unless you're going to start from a white base.  You then start with the next lightest colour, and work darker into recesses.  As opposed to layering, where you start dark and work up.

Your medium should be fine, but consider that liquitex is designed for artist (not model) acrylics so you'll probably want to add more water than is indicated in the BrushThralls guide indicates.  If you're still seeing edges from the different layers of glaze, what you should be doing is making the blend more transparent (equivocal to more in the region of the 12:1 or even 14:1 mix in the guide, but remember that liquitex will have more viscous properties) and expecting to use more layers of the same colour to achieve the shade you're aiming for.  This way the glaze does the work of the transition rather than trying to play about using complicated brush techniques.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Crazy ghost

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
Thank you for all the help. I think I will have to find a way to prime them white :/.