News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Dark Eldar  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
1750 Dark Eldar
« on: May 5, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »
A little while ago I posted about a collection of Dark Eldar that I'd managed to get hold of on the cheap. At the time my GF was interested in painting them, and I was interested in keeping them playable.
Time has rolled on, the GF has bought the latest version of the Sims, and I'm sat staring at the half assembled boxes of plastic toys that she was meant to, but never got around, to painting.
Since my Chaos project is mostly finished now, I'm inclined to get this show on the road.

Archon
Husk Blade; Soul-Trap; Combat Drugs; Ghostplate; Shadowfield
Close combat bad-ass. Will ride with a wych squad and hopefully get into combat without getting shot out of the sky.

9 Wyches
Hekatrix; Agoniser; Shardnet
Raider; Night Shields
Archon rides with these girls. Figured the shardnet was the best wych weapon to have on its own.

10 Wyches
Hekatrix; Agoniser; Shardnet; Hydra Gauntlets
Raider; Night Shields

10 Wyches
Hekatrix; Venomblade; Shardnet; Hydra Gauntlets
Raider; Night Shields
Two more squads or wyches to beef up the troops section and cause general havoc. Opinion seems divided on the merits of the venomblade and agoniser, so I've taken one of each.

20 Kabalite Warriors
Sybarite; Power Weapon; Blaster; 2x Dark Lance
The mainstay of the troop section. Sits at home offering fire support while holding an objective. Should be fairly robust and reliable.

6 Reavers
2x Blasters; 2x Cluster Caltrops

5 Scourges
Blaster; Heat Lance

The fast attack section is (as always) my fire brigade. Reacts quickly to plug holes in the line and can carry out anti-infantry, anti-tank and anti-MC with good reliability.

Chronos
Spirit Probe; Spirit Vortex

Talos
Chain Flails; extra cc weapon; TL Haywire blaster

Ravager
Night Shields

I have a Chronos and want to use it, and have been advised to run it alongside a Talos to keep it company. The Ravager seems to be everyone's favourite choice so I threw one of those in too.

I know this is a mixed list, which might not work, but it's something I'm very comfortable playing with my craftworlders.
I've tried to put in plenty of redundancy, and I'm willing to go for a wych heavy assault force despite their limitations in 6th. I'm fairly open to suggestions as not all of this is bought yet.
I need a second battle box, a ravager, a raider and the talos to bring it up to full strength.

Thoughts?

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: 1750 Dark Eldar
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Archon: He doesn't need ghostplate.  He already has an incredible invulnerable save with the shadowfield.  It's pretty rare where you will risk taking a save using that armor instead of the invulv. Save your points.

I love wyches but you have yours over kitted.  With the way assaults work in 6th I have trouble making a shardnet work.  The shardnet has to be in the front of the mob of wyches and usually gets shot up or can only make it into base with one or two models.  Agoniser is the most lethal weapon choice but I don't find I get the points out of it. I always run mine with venom blades. Cheap and lethal makes for a great combo.  You also need haywire grenades.  Drop the upgrades until everyone has haywire grenades.  If you get stuck with a dreadnought or run into a heavy mech force you're in for alot of trouble. Don't forget you can throw one 8" before you assault. My wyches rarely make it all the way to the enemy without their raider blowing up underneath them. I put aethersails and turbo-boost on their first turn so when the raider dies they are close enough to assault.

I run 20 warriors behind an ADL with a similar build.  I prefer the shardcannon but you're light on anti-tank and may want to keep the dark lances.  I don't the blaster will be worth it.  The range is far too limited. I throw a haemonmculi with a liquefier gun in mine. The pain token he provides gives them FNP which is immensely helpful.  The LG is always great for taking out deep striking units.  Especially marines in a drop pod.

I don't care for the fast attack choices in the DE book.  You don't have bad selections here at all but they look confused as to their purpose.  If the reavers are going to bladevane all the time then why give them blasters? If they are going to be going after vehicles then why give them caltrops? Same issue with the scourges.  Why not give them two of one weapon? I would go with haywire weapon.

Neither of the MC's we can bring are all that great.  No invul save means they have to walk to the enemy while getting shot with low AP weapons.  I ran a single talos back in 5th ed for two games and he now sits at home looking pretty on my shelf. Ravagers are one of the best heavy choices in the game.  You get alot for your points.  Dark lances aren't the greatest anti-tank weapon so we need lots of them.  Since they can also take out MEQ and TEQ just as easily they are great to have around.  I recommend two or three.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
Many thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Archon: He doesn't need ghostplate.  He already has an incredible invulnerable save with the shadowfield.  It's pretty rare where you will risk taking a save using that armor instead of the invulv. Save your points.
I figured the ghostplate would be good insurance for when the shadowfield inevitably fails.
A 2+ is great when you get to take it all the time.
I suppose a DE army is not for the over-cautious however... :-p

I love wyches but you have yours over kitted....
I suspected someone might say this.
Dropping agonisers would certainly save me plenty.. in fact that along with the ghostplate would get me a naked Haemonculus for the warriors...
I'm a little reticent about dropping the wych weapons though. They just don't seem killy enough without them.
Haywires are a great idea, but I'm going to need to find even more points somewhere.

I run 20 warriors behind an ADL with a similar build.  I prefer the shardcannon but you're light on anti-tank and may want to keep the dark lances.  I don't the blaster will be worth it.  The range is far too limited. I throw a haemonmculi with a liquefier gun in mine.
I do like the idea of a haemonculus.. I was thinking about a cheapy hex-rifle to to go with their shootyness.
I realise the blaster has limited range, but firing three dark light shots at a deep striking dreadnought or a land raider full of assault terminators seems like a good idea...

I don't care for the fast attack choices in the DE book.  You don't have bad selections here at all but they look confused as to their purpose.  If the reavers are going to bladevane all the time then why give them blasters? If they are going to be going after vehicles then why give them caltrops? Same issue with the scourges.  Why not give them two of one weapon? I would go with haywire weapon.
I realise these guys aren't optimised, but I like to have versatility in my fast attack choices as they often need to fulfill a variety of roles depending on who I'm facing.
I could certainly drop one of the caltrops to free up some points but I'd like to keep them on one so they can AI or AT.

Neither of the MC's we can bring are all that great.  No invul save means they have to walk to the enemy while getting shot with low AP weapons.  I ran a single talos back in 5th ed for two games and he now sits at home looking pretty on my shelf.
I appreciate they're not the best, but I love the models and I figure two could keep each other safer.
I like running lists that have a few flaws so this isn't really a problem.

Ravagers are one of the best heavy choices in the game.  You get alot for your points.  Dark lances aren't the greatest anti-tank weapon so we need lots of them.  Since they can also take out MEQ and TEQ just as easily they are great to have around.  I recommend two or three.
As above. I appreciate that they're the best choice, but that's not necessarily what I'm all about.

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »
I personally think the Talos and cronos are great options. I personally run 2 Talos with tl liquifier gun and a splinter cannon. I am not find of putting anti tank on the Talos because I find it ineffective.  The cronos is fine. I would get rid of the power weapon in the Kabalite squad.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
Archon
Husk Blade; Soul-Trap; Combat Drugs; Ghostplate; Shadowfield
Close combat bad-ass. Will ride with a wych squad and hopefully get into combat without getting shot out of the sky.
I agree that the Ghostplate is unnecessary - it only improves his base save slightly and 6++ save isn't a great backup plan against AP2/3 for when your Shadowfield fails.

9 Wyches
Hekatrix; Agoniser; Shardnet
Raider; Night Shields
Archon rides with these girls. Figured the shardnet was the best wych weapon to have on its own.
Unfortunately, that Hekatrix build is not legal.  She can replace her ccw and pistol with a Shardnet and Impaler, or she can exchange her ccw for an Agoniser (or other weapon).  You are swapping her ccw twice in that build - once for an Agoniser and once for a Shardnet and Impaler.  I also second Ludo's opinions on Venom Blades and Haywire Grenades.

20 Kabalite Warriors
Sybarite; Power Weapon; Blaster; 2x Dark Lance
The mainstay of the troop section. Sits at home offering fire support while holding an objective. Should be fairly robust and reliable.
I would drop the power weapon on the Sybarite.  If something gets into close combat with your Warrior blob 3 AP3 attacks are very unlikely to swing the battle - either that many warriors would have coped anyway, or the enemy will stomp all over you even with it.

6 Reavers
2x Blasters; 2x Cluster Caltrops

5 Scourges
Blaster; Heat Lance

The fast attack section is (as always) my fire brigade. Reacts quickly to plug holes in the line and can carry out anti-infantry, anti-tank and anti-MC with good reliability.
Personally, I'm with Ludo on this one as well, but if you want versatility, you've got it with the Reavers.  I'm not so convinced with the Scourges though.  They essentially have 2 anti-tank weapons, but with different effective ranges - the unit would be easier to use effectively if you gave them 2 of the same thing.

Chronos
Spirit Probe; Spirit Vortex

Talos
Chain Flails; extra cc weapon; TL Haywire blaster
I'm a fan of the Chronos/Talos Combo. I would suggest trying out a TL liquifier on the Talos though.  A flamer that re-rolls to wound and has a 50% chance of melting straight through power armour? Yes please  ;D

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
Unfortunately, that Hekatrix build is not legal.  She can replace her ccw and pistol with a Shardnet and Impaler, or she can exchange her ccw for an Agoniser (or other weapon).  You are swapping her ccw twice in that build - once for an Agoniser and once for a Shardnet and Impaler

I was listing all the upgrades for the unit in a single line.
Hekatrix. Agoniser. Shardnet.
Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again for the replies.
I guess I'll take away the ghostplate and jig around the weapons on the wyches to get haywire.

The reason I like the haywire blaster on the talos is that it's a near guaranteed glance.
Given his assault nature I thought he stands an excellent chance of taking the last HP off a transport on the way in.

I also don't seem to be quite as bothered about mixed weaponry as a lot of people are.
In the case of the scourges it goes like this:
The heat lance and the blaster do very similar jobs. The heat lance is better at AT from very short range, while the blaster is less effective at popping tanks from within melta range but is better at all other tasks if outside that range.
So I've got a deepstriking AT and AMC squad that will try to get into melta range if necessary, but where it's much less problem if I scatter.
It just gives me a little bit of versatility with very little compromise on effect due to their similar capabilities.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2013, 05:23:45 PM by Killing Time »