News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lack of Variation?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline zzhummelzz

• Almost doesn't count
    • My Trading Post
Lack of Variation?
« on: July 26, 2005, 06:31:14 AM »
It seems that almost every ork list falls into one of a few categories:

Green Tide--As many boyz as possible, a simple warboss and maybe a looted vehicle.

Mad Green Tide--As many madboyz as possible with a warboss and cyboars.

KoS--Vehicles.

This might just be because of the codex, but it seems like these are the main types of ork armies.  I'm not meaning to offend anyone (I do mad green tide).  It may just be that these lists are the ones that win.  Is it just me?
For cheap IG, Space Wolves, Dark Eldar and a WHFB Rulebook, check out the Trading Post.  I'm interested in buying/trading for: Eldar, 'Nids and Blood Angels.

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,91751.msg1060672.html#msg1060672

Offline Midnight Walker

• Mad skillz. I has them.
Re: Lack of Variation?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:18 AM »
I personally have a fairly hardy warboss with a bodyguard of nobz and a mad dok mounted in a trukk, behind bikes and warbuggies/trakks. Hard to hit being in cover and not the closest large target. Even if it gets destroyed. good armour saves mean casualties are low. Also gets the unit into combat quickly and can devastate a lot of units. I also use 'ard stuff and gunz, backed up with about 60 boyz. Zzap guns are great against termies, even low rolls are deadly! That's at 2000 points, 1500 is slightly leaner but still the same basic principle. It's a fun list that would get creamed at a tournament, but does ok in my circle of friends. I could probably do with more boyz and less big stuff, but I'd rather have a fun list than one that wins all the time. And I'm fed up of glueing SO... MANY... orks! :D
Last match: Draw! Dwarfs vs. Vampire Counts

Offline Silverthorn

• Ancient
  • Destroying the enemy with a smile!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:00:07 AM »
Green Tide--As many boyz as possible, a simple warboss and maybe a looted vehicle.

Mad Green Tide--As many madboyz as possible with a warboss and cyboars.

KoS--Vehicles.

Yer right and it's the same for most armies too. lotsa infantry or lotsa vehicle, close combat or shooty, etc...

What variety you have is in what units you pick. A green tide can be with shoota boyz, slugga boyz, ard boyz, skarboyz, tank bustas, burna boyz, grots, etc... That's where you get your variety.

You can't reinvent the wheel with an army. Orks were designed as a horde so the best way to win with them is to play them as they were intended.
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Offline Quase

• We were born, born to be WAAAGH
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 07:38:12 AM »
It seems that almost every Orklist falls into one of a few categories:

Green Tide--Codex : Orks.

Mad Green Tide--Chapter Approved Annual 2004.

KoS--Codex : Armageddon.

?So your question is why do people limit themselves to the 3 different lists available?

Why do we only see Codex : Space Marines and Codex : chapter-specific Beakie forces?
Fire all of your guns at once and...

Explode into space!

Offline Quin 242

• Neon Brown. Is it a color?
    • The Writing Docs
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »
You must have some unimaginative folks over there.

We have some GREAT ork polayers modellers and none of thier armies are close to the same.

two Kults of speed:
1 with masses of truk boys with two battle wagons full of skarboyz and 'ardboys... FAST green tide
1 with masses of guntrucks and buggies. He actually shoots with his orks? odd but he likes it :)

One Badmoons army
Again very shooty with masses of flashgits and tons of big shootas.

One Goff with tons of foot sloggers but with a couple of battlewagons full of the Skar boyz

One Blood axes with a bunch of infiltrating orks and a plethora of looted heavy tanks

And my Psuedo Orks which are represented by Squat models which uses the Snakebites rules to give my troops units the BS 3 that they should have while reataining thier T4 :)
I have 3 units of huntas and 3 of madboys (converting the Squats to have Slayer heads :) )
One unit of truk boyz
Two units of boyz on Hogz (Bikers)
a couple Killer Kans (sentinals)
and a looted Leman Russ

So do they all use the units in the codexes as pointed out by Quase? of course they do.. but they all play very differently.
Do not underestimate the Squats. They survived for millenia cut off from the Imperium and assailed from all sides. Their determination and resilience is an example to all.
(gleefully stolen wholely typed by Spacedwarv)

If you ever need editing services please visit my website:  www.thewritingdocs. com

Offline 2ManyVICES

• War for Wars sake
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:56:21 PM »
what else would we use??? shooty or cc , vehicles or infantry .... those r the only choices we have. shooty ork list dont work well imo. big shootas sure but ... Nomatter what ork lists have more then average infantry. We Are Orks !
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves, will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?

Offline Warboss Urgarg

• Warboss
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 09:01:51 PM »
No two Ork armies are alike. Everyone has conversions and paintjobs which make their army unique. Sure most of our army LISTS have same consepts as in EIther assault big time, shoot big time ect. but that doesn't make the army not unique.
                     Warboss Urgarg
'Ere We Go, 'Ere We Go, 'Ere We Go

Offline 2ManyVICES

• War for Wars sake
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »
well if ur talkin about appearence then ya! ork armies r like snowflakes. thats y they r so cool. u just slap on whatever armour and crude weapons u want. thats what is so cool. rag tag , its all about waaaggghhhh
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves, will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?

Offline alienspokinatcha

• Burny Goodness!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 01:20:55 AM »
There are so many ork armies you can make its not funny.

Blood Axes - Stealth Army/Infiltration army & tanks
Evil Sunz - Fast Ork Army
Bad Moons - Shooty Elite Army
Deathskulls - Shooty & Weird Army & tanks
Goffs - Assualt Army - Horde or Dreadbash
Snakebites - Horde Army , can be shooty and assualty
Dreadbash - Lots of dreadnoughts
Gork And Mork - Dreads , CC and Fast Attack
Hammer And Anvil - Dreads & CC stuff & Heavy Support

Kults of Speed

Bad Ork Biker warband - coolest army made up of warbikers!
Wartrakk Attack - All wartrakks/buggies , gun trukks
Trukkers - All trukk boys army
Balanced - A bit of everything

Feral orks

Madboy army
Boarboy attack army
squigoth attack army
shooty feral army
What do we have for entertainment?; cops kicking gypsies on the pavement! - Joe Strummer

''When freedom rises from the killing floor
No lock of iron or rivet can restrain the door
And no kind of army can hope to win a war
Like trying to stop the rain or still the lion's roar
Like trying to stop the whirlwind scattering seeds and spores
Like trying to stop the tin cans rapping out jailhouse semaphore...'' - "48864"

Offline Quase

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 02:22:02 AM »
So do they all use the units in the codexes as pointed out by Quase? of course they do.. but they all play very differently.
Indeed, another example : my KoSpeed is quite Burna-orientated.
Hence Burna Boyz, Warboss with Kombi-Skorcha, Trukkboyz with a Burna, a Hellhound, 3 Skorcha-Trakks,...

Explode into space!

Offline metallegion2

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 03:34:39 PM »
Indeed, another example : my KoSpeed is quite Burna-orientated.
Hence Burna Boyz, Warboss with Kombi-Skorcha, Trukkboyz with a Burna, a Hellhound, 3 Skorcha-Trakks,...

How well does your army do?   I was thinking of doing something along the same lines.  Can I see your list?

Offline Quase

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 03:52:18 AM »
For 1.5K :

Warboss Choppa, Kombi-Skorcha, Eavy Armour, Bionic Bonce, Cybork Body and Bionic Arm
Goes with Burnaz
Big Mek with Kustom Force Field, Eavy Armour, Bionic Bonce and Choppa
With Ard Boyz

9 Burna Boyz 4 Burnaz, Mekboy with KFF, Heavy armour and Choppa
10 Trukkboyz 1 Burna Nob with Big Horns, Eavy Armour, Power Klaw & Slugga
7 Tankbustaz 3 Rokkitz Nob with Rokkit, Power Klaw, eavy Armour and 3 Ammo Runtz
3 units of 1 Skorcha Trakk with red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, Spikes 'n Blades and Stikkbomb Chukka

9 Ard Boyz Nob with Big Horns, Eavy Armour, Power Klaw & Slugga

2 Zzapguntrukks
Lemann Russ Battle Tank (as of late I ditched the Hellhound)

Each unit inna Trukk with Red Paint Job, Riggers and a Rokkit

This got me 2nd place in a tournament, and has earned me 8 wins in a row, with 1 draw in between.
This list is purrfect for a refused flank tactic 8)

Explode into space!

Offline zzhummelzz

• Almost doesn't count
    • My Trading Post
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 01:17:47 AM »
Wow.  The above list looks very sparse, and I'm surprised and impressed you have done so well with it.  Anyway, I've been proved wrong, and I'm glad I was  :P
For cheap IG, Space Wolves, Dark Eldar and a WHFB Rulebook, check out the Trading Post.  I'm interested in buying/trading for: Eldar, 'Nids and Blood Angels.

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,91751.msg1060672.html#msg1060672

Offline Quase

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
Indeed, very few Orks for 1.5k, innit?

That's why managing to succeed in the refused flank is so important.
Having 30 Orks crashing into half of your army in turn 2 hurts; usually a lot ;D

The slow stuff goes into the middle of my battleline (Russ, Zzapgunntrukks).
My fast Trukks are deployed on either side, with 1 of the Kustom Force Fields on each side.
Turn 1 one flank zips over 25" to the other side, and a lure/speed bump is left behind (usually the Tankbusta Boys and 1 Skorcha Trakk).

The other 2 Skorchaz spearhead the other flank, blocking line of sight to the Trukks in as much as is possible.
Should one of those Skorchaz survive and get some kills, than that is a nice, but unexpected bonus.

Explode into space!