News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Outsiders- 1k points. A question on ML vs Lascannon.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
Outsiders- 1k points. A question on ML vs Lascannon.
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:16:36 AM »
HQ:
Sorceror with Warptime and jump pack: 145

Elites:

1 Dread with extra CCW and heavy flamer: 105

Troops:
8 CSM, meltagun, powerfist and combi-melta on AC. Icon of Chaos Glory
Mounted in Rhino w/ extra armour :230

6 Noise Marines with sonic blasters: 150

Fast Attack:
3 bikers with 2 meltas: 119(Brain AIDS. Still thinking in terms of 3 melta Vet suicide squads)

8 Raptors, 2 flamers, AC with lightning claws. Mark of Khorne: 240

Total: 999

I was thinking of dropping the dread and rhino, and making this more of a footslogging list. I've got a squad of 5 unused Terminators, and I'd like to get a Havok squad in there, with 2 HB and 2 MLs. A DP would greatly add to it as well. I'd fill up to 1500 points with masses of summoned demons.

Regarding lascannons and missile launchers, how come the Chaos boards prefer the ML over the LC when engaging armour? Though 3 missile launchers and a lascannon is a good mix.

I want a terror, CC-orientated list, just as a pleasant change from Guard missing half the time and failed armour saves washing everything away like rain. Though I miss a good body count, and the comfort of tanks.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:36:03 AM by No Love Lost »
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline OnEcHaOs

• Blood for the blood God!
Re: Outsiders- 1k points. A question on ML vs Lascannon.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »
3bikers with 2meltas=119 ;)
40k:
2500 pts world eaters
3000 pts chaos
1500 pts tau
1500 pts eldar

fantasy:
2000 pts wood elves
2000 pts dark elves

Offline OrionKale

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
The reason most of us prefer Missile Launchers or Autocannons over Lascannons is the fact of use-ability. If you run into a swarm list, those lascannons are going to be hurting you greatly opposed to the frag blast template of a missile launcher.

Drop the Dread, IMO they're way way too risky.

I really think those havocs would help you out in this list. You just don't quite have enough heavy support.
-Glory to my dear grandfather...

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
Also, lascannons cost a lot more, and an entire squad of them is often overkill against most targets in addition to being incredibly expensive.  For purely engaging armor, of course a lascannon is better than a missile launcher.  But for the points, a missile launcher is likely better, at least in the Havoc squads where they cost so much.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline WarsmithHuggy

• "Organised Chaos..."
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
I don't know I have a Dread with extra CCW too and it performs well for me (ah the joy of seing a IG players face when it charges his mere infantry).

I would drop the bikes for chosen but thats just me.

The Havocs are a good option, what would equip them with?

Demons ... I have Mixed minds when it comes to them but they are jsut as potent as a Marine when it comes to combat and for 2pts cheaper each.  The fact you can get them anywhere when they are really needed is invaluable so keep that option open.

P.S. I have a list up too if you would like to help me out.

Stay SIC  8)
"Sir, We're receiving a message from the strom troopers on the tyranid ship.  Its... I dont know what it is!"

"Put it on speaker"
*flicks switch*
"Nyum munch myum yum yum munch burp!"

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
Money's tight, and as much as I like the Dread I've spent so long converting, it's 105 points that could go on better things. I suppose the question's down to armour or no armour. If I drop the Dread, I drop the Rhino too. I reduce the points on the CSM squad and stick in 6 Havoks with 3 missile launchers at about 150-ish. Maybe add a HB and an extra CSM.

The bikes are an expensive 1-shot, but I'm only working off the models I actually have.
A proper inventory will follow.

Would Terminators do better instead of Raptors?

This is my first Chaos list for an army I've had nary a game with.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
Granted I play Dark angels and not chaos, but my dred has never let me down despite his high point cost. Although they tend to be VIP (everyone wants to shoot at him) if you get termies they'll probably end up the same way; but it's OK, you're other, weaker units don't get shot at as much (virtually ignored) and can wittle away at stuff while your opponent is worrying about other things.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline iandanger

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Granted I play Dark angels and not chaos, but my dred has never let me down despite his high point cost. Although they tend to be VIP (everyone wants to shoot at him) if you get termies they'll probably end up the same way; but it's OK, you're other, weaker units don't get shot at as much (virtually ignored) and can wittle away at stuff while your opponent is worrying about other things.

Indeed, a space marine dreadnaught can earn their points back, but you don't have to worry about fire frenzy, etc, so you have a lot more control over it.  they can seriously backfire or put themselves in a dangerous position quite easily, making them unreliable.
#occupyterra

Always looking for a way to make CSM fun again.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »
I remember reading about fire freny now (glad mine don't have that  ;)) one day I'll buy a chaos codex; after they get older, cheaper.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline iandanger

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Not to mention the Chaos drednaughts look like crap...well the forge world ones look good but the plastic ones are hideous...

Anyhow missile launchers are nice because they are versatile and cheaper, not to mention the models look cool!
#occupyterra

Always looking for a way to make CSM fun again.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:25 PM »
And when you shoot your own guys you can shoot frag missiles into the side of some AV 11 and higher vehicle or plaguemarines.

IMO, drop the dread, not 'that' useful at 1000 points, the pointe are better spent on beefing up the CSM's to 10 man and the raptors to 10 man too.

Plus melta's on the raptors and a second melta gun on the CSM squad now with 10 members.

And maybe some more noise marines to catch bullets for the sonic blasters.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.