News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Perfecting" Farsight bomb  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Manny-Kun

• Ill just snoop around here....
"Perfecting" Farsight bomb
« on: July 2, 2013, 01:43:30 AM »
with this new edition, Farsight now allows us to deep-strike him and his squad/bodyguards with 100% precision and no fear of scattering. as such ive been trying to figure out ways to -perfect- this "Farsight bomb" to gain max damage.

ive seen several army list with his body guards armed with 2 plasma rifles and 2 neutron blasters. a question came to my mind, who gets the target lock? lets say this situation:

Farsight dives in with full 7 body guards, 5 suits with plasma rifles and 2 with neutron blasters on a landraider full with terminators (just to keep it simple lets use those suit loadouts)

neutron blasters take down the land raider, and plasma rifles eat up the terminators. now considering if the neutron suits fire on the land raider, all models in the squad have to fire at the land raider as well. would it be best to put target locks on all the plasma rifle suits so they can target the terminators after? or just put the target lock on the neutron suits so if they fail to take the land raider down, the plasma rifle suits can still unload on another target.

I think it be best for the neutron suits to use the target lock (points wise and all). opinions?
Am i posting my threads in the right place? because i get often confused... :-/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: "Perfecting" Farsight bomb
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2013, 08:45:31 AM »
The trouble with Target Lock is that you need to still fire all your weapons at once, so therefore you designate all your targets and then fire all your guns. You can't shoot one set of weapons before deciding where the other set of weapons are going to shoot.

I think Farsight bombs can be kitted out to engage two targets effectively at the same time and can tag a third (without destroying it), but no more than that. Since Farsight comes with a Plasma Rifle, one of those targets is heavy infantry by default. So, you can do either Heavy Infantry/Vehicles (with Fusion Blasters and Missile Pods scattered about) OR Heavy Infantry/Light Infantry (with a nasty selection of flamers and burst cannons there, as well).

What you could consider is this:

Farsight
3 Suits w/Dual Plasma, Target Locks
3 Suits w/Dual Fusion, Target Locks
1 Suit w/C&C Node, Sensor Suite, Flamer, Drone Controller
6 Gun Drones
4 Shield Drones (optional)

This is going to cost you a LOT of points, but when you drop, you'll get:

14 TL Plasma Shots (assuming rapid fire range)
6 TL Melta Shots
12 TL Pulse Shots (at bodyguard BS)

All of it ignores cover. Can shoot at up to 3 targets. It has 24 wounds or more, with the option for a fair amount of invul saves.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »
It is illegal to blow up a transport and shoot the passengers with the same unit, target locks (or other split fire rules) do not change this. All targets for weapons must be declared and they are considered to fire simulatiously just like any other unit. You cannot wait and see how some shooting goes before deciding the rest.

For best effect you would need to have some support, railguns from another unit killing the land raider for example. Then Farsight and pals can shoot the contents and one other target.

There is a limit to the amount of damage you can cause a turn, but deployed and supported well this tactic can easily push an opponent onto the back foot, having fast moving support to tie up or finish off annoying stragglers would probably be worth it's weight too.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
There is a limit to the amount of damage you can cause a turn, but deployed and supported well this tactic can easily push an opponent onto the back foot, having fast moving support to tie up or finish off annoying stragglers would probably be worth it's weight too.

This.

You need mechanized FWs to put the killing blow on the stuff that doesn't die after Farsight bombs it, you should consider other crisis suit units to help you with the things the Bomb doesn't deal with, and a smattering of Hammerheads and markerlights about never hurt anybody.

The primary problem with the Farsight Bomb is it is either affordable and ineffective or effective and extremely expensive. Since even the best Farsight Bomb can't handle a whole enemy army on its own, you need to carefully budget in supporting units to make it earn its keep.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
If you're going with the bomb, may as well take Shasdowsun as well for the uber cover saves she provides. Also has the added bonus that if you don't want/need to deepstrike you get even more awesome assault moves than normal, plus her fusion blasters.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
Not incredibly fluff though. For those who care about such things in their lists.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
If you're going with the bomb, may as well take Shasdowsun as well for the uber cover saves she provides.
I was just reading a thread on another website complaining about exactly this setup.  I am always wary myself though of investing quite so many points in a single unit.

Not incredibly fluff though. For those who care about such things in their lists.
Also an issue, to my mind.  Personally, I was very surprised to find that restrictions surrounding what you can take with Farsight have been seriously relaxed in the new Codex.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

Also an issue, to my mind.  Personally, I was very surprised to find that restrictions surrounding what you can take with Farsight have been seriously relaxed in the new Codex.

Arent they coming out with a farsight book just like iyenden?

As for perfecting the bomb itself, why not go close combat? Farsight is good in close combat to begin with. Spread out the signature systems among the bomb members; gauntlet,  iridium, that thing that hurts people who charge them, etc.  Give everyone feel no pain and flamers and shield generators to taste.  What do you think?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Shas'La robo

« Reply #8 on: July 9, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
Arent they coming out with a farsight book just like iyenden?

As for perfecting the bomb itself, why not go close combat? Farsight is good in close combat to begin with. Spread out the signature systems among the bomb members; gauntlet,  iridium, that thing that hurts people who charge them, etc.  Give everyone feel no pain and flamers and shield generators to taste.  What do you think?

Yes there will be a Farsight supplement.

I don't see a 'combat bomb' being very effective, and wastes most of the bonuses of taking the bomb, lots and lots of twinlinked, ignores cover shooting.
It would be a very expensive unit, that is only useful against light/medium infantry, and weak rear armour tanks.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
I just want to see how it works out and I doubt any opponent would see that coming

Farsight
Body Guard - Stimulant Injector Iridium Suit Flamer and burst cannon
Body Guard - Stimulant Injector Onager Guantlet Flamer and burst cannon
Body Guard - Stimulant Injector Failsafe Detonator Flamer and burst cannon
Body Guard - Stimulant Injector Impact Field Flamer and burst cannon
Body Guard - Stimulant Injector System Jammer Flamer and burst cannon
Shield Drones x6

587 points

Leaves a lot of room for customization and characterization for each suit which is something you usually don't see.

That's a lot of high strength attacks and would be tough to take it down too.

Just something different to think about.  If someone were to try this I would love to hear how it went! :)
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Shas'La robo

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:39 AM »
To make it at all effective I don't think you can go past getting some plasma rifles, for anti-meq, kill off ~5 marines then charge in and beat down on the rest could work, and can do some light anti-tank if needed.

robo