News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Faq 2018  (Read 8827 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Faq 2018
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
Very glad they are going in this direction, as I feel it's going to make things a lot more balanced and closer to the fluff. No self-respecting hive mind would have a single force of five hive tyrants in the fluff, so why should we allow it in the game? A force should be somewhat balanced, which is something we even see in modern real-life armies.

If you think you've found a loop-hole or exploit in eighth edition and you already have the models, by all means go for it. But don't go buying 50 razorwings or 30 dark reapers because today's GW is going to recognize the issue and shut it down in six months.

Offline bca11

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
Three units are plenty. Just take larger squads. There are other units you can take to make a themed list, like Vipers and shinning spears and such. .

You could do that, but I think the ideal solution would be to go back to having subfactions that could treat certain units as troops, like Saim Hannah jet bikes (which eventually became troops for all elder before moving back to fast attack), Iyanden wraithguard, and Deathwing terminators. This is especially the case where the CP disparity between battalion and non-batallion lists has become so pronounced.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
Three units are plenty. Just take larger squads. There are other units you can take to make a themed list, like Vipers and shinning spears and such. .

You could do that, but I think the ideal solution would be to go back to having subfactions that could treat certain units as troops, like Saim Hannah jet bikes (which eventually became troops for all elder before moving back to fast attack), Iyanden wraithguard, and Deathwing terminators. This is especially the case where the CP disparity between battalion and non-batallion lists has become so pronounced.

I'm not too sure it's a good idea, it would be really hard to balance out and make it work.

Supposedly you want to apply this kind of rules, taking Eldar as an exemple as it's the only army I know. Sam Hann would get scatter bike with 3 of them as troops and take a load of them. What would you do for ulthwe then, give them warlock council as troops? Boost there guardians? And Bieltan, which is a aspect type of army, would you give elite units the troops treatments? It's realisticly not feasible, fluff yes but feasible no.

One option could be having flexible organizations slot for a kind lower efficienty bataillons (3cp instead of the new five for exemple). And that one would be fitted with the special rules of a craft world chapter tactics or what not.
An other option could be having a warlord trait that unlock said unit stacking. You are trading one benefit for an other. Seeing the balance of the game right now I find it hard to think of other options.

You can't give any army free benefit. It won't work with the current player base, a trade off is nessecary.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
Given the low strength of pure Saim-Hann at the moment, I wouldn't be too concerned. It wouldn't be that hard for Saim-Hann to get a rule like "Saim-Hann Windriders are immune to the Rule of Three" which wouldn't actually be strong but would allow for more windrider-heavy Saim-Hann lists to be played in a tournament settings.

I don't think Alaitoc needs a buff, and their signature unit is already a troop. Same goes for Ulthwé, and Biel-Tan has several units as their signature unit, one of which is a troop.

Iyanden could probably use immunity to Rule of Three for their Wraithguard and Wraithlords, and it wouldn't make them strong. As it stands, it's hard to actually take more than 3 units of Wraithguard anyway, though I have done so.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »
As stated above the examples for Eldar are quite easy. Ulthwe already has their core unit as a troop. Same with Alaitoc. Biel-tan already have an aspect as a troop as well. Saim-Hann and Iyanden are the only exceptions which would really require something.

Iyanden actually make great use of guardian defenders given their trait and is less food for wraithguard (unless you want to use wraithblades). Great for their MCs and vehicles though. Rule of three won't really hinder them given the ratio of points vs models. Making wraithguard troops would help pad out their scoring potential with their generally lower model count.

But this is side tracking.

Some of the adjustments hurt. Good thing there will be another FAQ later this year to hopefully bring some the changes back down (warlocks).

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
In my opinion, solo Warlock and Warlock Skyrunner should never have been HQs. They're too cheap and weak, probably better slotted in as Elite. GW had to bring up the Warlock price to make them priced like a typical HQ, but it really doesn't work.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
In my opinion, solo Warlock and Warlock Skyrunner should never have been HQs. They're too cheap and weak, probably better slotted in as Elite. GW had to bring up the Warlock price to make them priced like a typical HQ, but it really doesn't work.

Well the Archon's body guards now take up elite slots, so yeah they could do that, or like they have previously simply have a requirement to take something else (units of guardians or a farseer) to get access to warlocks.

The point increase doesn't feel like someone has sat down and worked it out, warlocks being almost double the index price and spiritseers points were dropped because no one was using them in the index, when most of our stuff cost more, now it 1 point less than the index...

I'm happy GW is reacting to problems, but feels like they are in such a mad rush to get everything out, they don't have time to actually think about what they are doing.

There is also the question of the Tournament organisers, you used to find house rules for them to stop stuff getting out of hand. I don't know if GW has had a quiet word with them or if the rush of material means its just too hard for them to keep up.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »
Correction. I didn't notice that the BRB FAQ actually prevents reserve units from moving twice, not just the beta rules for tactical reserves. First turn deepstrikes beyond your deployment zone are still allowed as this is a beta rule.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »
First turn deepstrikes beyond your deployment zone are still allowed as this is a beta rule.

Watch the live stream video, they are dead keen on blunting alpha strikes, which is why the first turn DS beta rule was introduced. So you may as well play by the new rules.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »
As soon as it's an actual new rule we will.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
At least in my area everyone plays with the new beta rule whenever they are available, so my friends will be using these rules.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »
Beta rules are the way to go. Played my first game with the new updates tonight, nothing really drastic to how I used to play, so I didn't really notice anything different, besides now having two more command points.

All these changes are healthy changes to the game.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
We prefer to wait. Don't want to get used to the beta rule only to have them change it or decide it's not necessary.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »
We prefer to wait. Don't want to get used to the beta rule only to have them change it or decide it's not necessary.

I think you'll be in the minority on that. The previous set of beta rules were widely adopted. I think all events adopted them. The changes are all healthy for the game, I see no reason to not use them.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »
I'm not making an argument. That's just what my LGS is doing.

• Ancient
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
I'm not making an argument. That's just what my LGS is doing.

Fair enough.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #57 on: June 5, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »

I think you'll be in the minority on that. The previous set of beta rules were widely adopted. I think all events adopted them. The changes are all healthy for the game, I see no reason to not use them.

We don't play Beta in my group either. Maybe once or twice to test them (as is the point), then we send email to FAQ team and go back to playing normally. The last lot of Beta rules were changed before being added properly.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #58 on: June 5, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
We don't play the beta rules here either, because they are not very clear in what they should do.
Psychic powers lacks a lot of clarity, the example misses the target.
New character rules can be abused just as much as the current ones.
The new reserves restriction don't hit their target, instead they hamper a lot of melee units. I think the "CC in 40k is ridiculous"-choir have been heard a little too much, especially as the point cost of affected units are not adjusted accordingly.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:19:37 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.