News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bike themed army (1,500)  (Read 1459 times)

Offline tactica

• Banned
  • Orks iz made 4 ROKKIN!!
Bike themed army (1,500)
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
I was thinking of running a bike themed army that would look a little something like the one below, and it will use the tactics outlined here However I could use little help. The main problem I see with the list is that it looks very fragile, how can I improve it?

HQ
Wazzdakka 180

Troops
Six warbikes including Nob with PK and Boss Pole 190

Fast Attack
3 Wartrakks with Rokkit launchers 120

Total 1490
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:57:50 PM by tactica »

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
Re: Bike themed army (1,500)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
I was thinking of running a bike themed army that would look a little something like the one below, and it will use the tactics outlined here However I could use little help. The main problem I see with the list is that it looks very fragile, how can I improve it?

I thought it would help if I read your tactica, and honestly.....it did....much more than I expected, which will help me in taking a look at your list, with intent to help comment and/or critique it...so, lets get it on!

Fast Attack

Total 1490

I would drop these, and add:

175-9x Tankbustas-2x Tankhammer, 2x Bomb Squigs
      -Nob-PK/BP
125-Battlewagon-3x Rokkit Launchas, RPJ

70-Deffkopta-TL Rokkit Launcha, Buzzsaw            (Green Baron Layout)

Basically, the Tankbustas are, IMHO, better at tank killing than the Buggies....but are a little more expensive to boot.
The Green baron is obviously a good tank-hunter, and can assault the tank if it doesn't kill it by shooting. Plus, with your Bikers, the Baron might not draw so much fire, if the Bikers are in LOS, which is not good, but it will still turn out fine if they have more transports to kill!

Good luck and Happy Krumping Shooting

(this is gonna be a bit confusing....... :o)
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
I would actually keep the rokkit buggies...  But then again, I love all things rokkit buggies... lol  As for the list, I think you will find it plays pretty well, but you will be frustrated by armies who go for a war of attrition...  The bikers aren't really tough enough to take too much attention, and prone to getting beat in close combat...  However, keeping your enemy at dakka gun range will allow you to put a lot of firepower on them...  Also, as listed in your tactica, you should be able to out manuver everything but the fastest of armies... 

My biggest problem with ork all biker armies is that they are not as versatile as some of the other bike troops out there in the game...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Fast Attack

Total 1490

I would drop these, and add:

175-9x Tankbustas-2x Tankhammer, 2x Bomb Squigs
      -Nob-PK/BP
125-Battlewagon-3x Rokkit Launchas, RPJ

70-Deffkopta-TL Rokkit Launcha, Buzzsaw            (Green Baron Layout)

Basically, the Tankbustas are, IMHO, better at tank killing than the Buggies....but are a little more expensive to boot.
The Green baron is obviously a good tank-hunter, and can assault the tank if it doesn't kill it by shooting. Plus, with your Bikers, the Baron might not draw so much fire, if the Bikers are in LOS, which is not good, but it will still turn out fine if they have more transports to kill!

Good luck and Happy Krumping Shooting

(this is gonna be a bit confusing....... :o)

Honestly, I would like to change my suggestion....Tank Hunting Biker Nobz....As such:

150-Warboss-PK/Attack Squig/Cybork
in a squad with:
220-Biker nobz-
      -Painboy
      -Nob-PK/BP
      -Nob-PK

If you can, utilize the fact that the bunched up their transports... (if they did)....to blow two up with the biker squad. Also, The Boss can split to attack a (possible) third target (hopefully he would be in range of any AV14)....three tanks blown up in one turn...awesome! and if they decide to try to assault them....they will die too!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
i would find a way to get a warboss on bike in there and a smallish squad of nobz on bikes so you have a CC element. i would also try for a gree baron so you are not relying just on shooting for taking out vehicles.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
I have found that I don't need the wartakk upgrade as with their speed and range they can go around most dangerous terrain. Dropping this upgrade would give you 45 points.

I would also trade out one squad for a green baron so that you can alpha strike an enemy tank/heavy weapons team. This would also save you another 35 points.

With the 80 points you could swap out a biker squad for a small squad of nob bikers.

I do not play an all biker ork army though I do use at least one squad of bikes at >1500pts and I also play saim hann eldar.
I prefer to run my bikers in squads of 9 as I have found squads of 6 to be too squishy. 9 means the enemy needs to kill 3 to cause a morale test and in my experience has enough firepower to take out a squad by itself with shooting and assualt, squads of 6 I found needed help from another unit.
I don't have problems manuevering squads of 9 bikes.

Taking my suggestions would see the list look something like this.
Wazzdakka
2*9 warbikers including nob with PK, BP
1*8 warbikers including nob with PK, BP
2*3 rokkit buggies
Green baron
5 man nob biker squad -PK, BP, 2*big choppas, 3* kombi skorchaz (these could be wound allocated if you really want to but I just slapped in the upgrades I like)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
I will have to second Axeblade, you need a hitty part to your army. A small squad of 5 nob bikers hits the spot, a PK, a BP, a pain boy, a big choppa, and a Waagh Banna, makes them all wound allocated and gives you the punch you need for things like dread knights and other such killy things.

There are a few things that must be taken in CC, as to try to shoot them will result in failure, a good example is the dread knight, with it's 2+ save and the shootiness it can take, just cries for it to be assaulted and killed. Trygons and mowlocks are another that die easy in combat but can take an insane amount of shooting.

So a nob squad is a must in a biker heavy army. As for size of squads, I used to like to run a full size unit (all 12), there were few maneuvering issues, only rarely would I have a problem getting the whole squad into range and line of sight.  I did find that small squads were on the verge of useless, not enough hitting power to do anything useful except maybe go transport hunting. So I recommend that you beef up the squads to at least 9 or 10 strong.

As for the rockit buggies, they are good, but without the KFF to keep them protected for a turn or two, are only kill points for your opponent. While they might do something useful, they most likely won't. They do look good on paper, and in most armies where there are too many targets to choose from, they are indeed useful. With this army you will not have the saturation you need to soak up fire power, and your buggies will most likely be wiped out first turn, leaving you with a very uphill battle. 

I would go for 2 or 3 Green Barons, and use the leftover points to make a nob squad, and then combine your other biker squads into bigger units, say 3 units of 10, instead of 5 units of 6.

As for scoring units, take the warboss on a bike, if you have the points make him a green torpedo, if not, then a big choppa and cybork (as well as the bike) will usually suffice. After all he is there to mainly take those S8 and 9 hits and make the nobs count as troops. With the big choppa he will strike at initiative, (5 on the charge) and is strong enough to kill most dreads on the charge (as long as your dice don't hate you). Just keep in mind he is a support unit rather than the star of the army.

As I see it you should modify the list to:
Wazdakka
Boss on bike with BC and cybork
3*10 bikers nob with PK and BP
5 nob bikers, PK, BP, pain boy, BC, waagh banner (if you have the points, give them all cybork as well)
2 Green Barons

Didn't add the points, just rough estimating in my head, so you might have enough points for an extra nob biker, or another green baron.

Just my two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline tactica

• Banned
  • Orks iz made 4 ROKKIN!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
This is some great advice so far, Imgoing to purchase quite a few bikes from a company called ramshackle games quite soon so I will have a chance to try our most of these options.

I did want to ask though what do poeple think of doing a purely shooty bike list? By this i mean dropping all my Nobs to squeeze in even more bikers could it work?

Also what is the optimal size for a bike unit? some people say 6 other say 8 what do you think?

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
This is some great advice so far, Imgoing to purchase quite a few bikes from a company called ramshackle games quite soon so I will have a chance to try our most of these options.

I did want to ask though what do poeple think of doing a purely shooty bike list? By this i mean dropping all my Nobs to squeeze in even more bikers could it work?

Also what is the optimal size for a bike unit? some people say 6 other say 8 what do you think?

Thank you!

Now, I must say that the nob replaced by extra biker boyz is not a good idea.
Picture this:
Your bikers have just shot up a squad of ten marines..but wait...now they are getting return fire from a heavy weapons squad of 4 Heavy Bolters...3 miss....5 wounds....and...3 get through! Now you only have 9 of the 12....forcing a leadership.....but NO BOSSPOLE!!!!!! You fail....and run 3D6" away....and if they fail their Regroup....the keep running....off the board! You just lost a 300 point Warbiker squad from a 130 point squad's shooting...which could have been avoided had you brought a BP nob.

Not saying this at all to put you down, or the idea...it is just very likely that you will have a squad run away to oblivion if you decide to bank in models instead of Wargear....in this case, at least.

Lastly, I have heard many-a-time that a squad of 9 with the 10th being a PK nob w/ BP does well....Food for thought..........

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »
Taking my suggestions would see the list look something like this.
Wazzdakka
2*9 warbikers including nob with PK, BP
1*8 warbikers including nob with PK, BP
2*3 rokkit buggies
Green baron
5 man nob biker squad -PK, BP, 2*big choppas, 3* kombi skorchaz (these could be wound allocated if you really want to but I just slapped in the upgrades I like)

I am liking this list a lot in all reality.   Though I might try to change it around a bit to incorperate a trukk boy squad in it.   This will help with more bodies or if one of your squads is seriously outnumbered in assault.   

I am just not a huge fan of low body counts in an army.  Some armies like Deathwing can handle it but you also have to take into account that all their models atleast have terminator armor. 

With low body count armies you can't afford any mistakes.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:47:29 PM by angel of death 007 »