News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Father and son...  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Pindaroz

• To weird to live. To rare to die.
Father and son...
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I would like to say "Hello" to ya all with this post.

Im here mainly because my son tricked me. I've play Warhammer Fantsy a little. A LITTLE. My son thought 40k looks awsome. I got the "Assault on Black Reach" today. The battle starts this week end. Wish me good luck.

The qustion I will start ask you on sunday around 12 o'clock.

Nice to have meet you!

Take care, take cover.

Over and Out!
If I had a dollar for every time I was wrong I would be a millionaire by now. But even richer if I got it for the times I was right...

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
Re: Father and son...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Welcome to the Game and the Community.

Assault on Black Reach isn't perfectly balanced, if I recall the discussions of a couple years ago correctly. But it's an excellant starter set. If you and your son enjoy the game and the hobby and want to persue those armies (a lot of ifs hehe) then you might wanna pickup another Black Reach set. That way you'd have your own scatter dice, rule books, etc. By doubling up on the Space Marine and Ork content you'd be well on your way to a couple fair sized armies on the cheap (or what passes for cheap  ;)).

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
Welcome, Pindaroz!   I'm a 50-something father of twin sons who also kinda talked me into 40K.  They needed/wanted me to take them to the local GW on Saturdays, and so after the first boring Saturday I thought if I'm going to be there anyway, it's a lot more fun to play than to watch.  I'm just hoping that their getting to shoot and hack me to bits on the table will diminish any desire to do so in real life  ;)
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:29:06 PM »
remember the golden rule.

If in doubt roll a dice and on a 4+ it happens :D

I say this because your first few games will be tedious, so when you don't fully understand something make it up. Then come back to the rules at a later time to see what you should have done.

Remember these things.

Movement 6 inches.
Shooting. If a weapon looks heavy compared to the rest in the squad it probably is, Move or fire with these.
Assault.

Next players turn.

That's the basic idea of the game.

If your really worried about getting things done correctly organise to go into a store and play. If you book in you should be able to get a staff member to help.

40K is easier than fantasy. Rules don't stack so often, And you have less actions in a player turn.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »
Wargaming is a really fun hobby. Don't go about this as you got sucked by some kiddos, get in there and get some blood on your face. I don't think men realise today just how masculine tabletop wargaming is, as long as you're not making My Little Pony marines...

Are you a military officer, able to command real soldiers in battle? nah, me neither. Tabletop wargaming is my alternative. There are also many other games out there besides 40k, check out fantasy or historicals, or (gasp) other game systems if gothic scifi isn't your thing. One of my favorite opponents was a 70 something year old man. I also enjoy the assembly and painting parts. This hobby can also be lucrative to a point as well, through trading/selling, something that can't be said about very many other hobbies.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
I think it's great you're playing with your son! I tried to get my dad into it but he's always so busy working, the poor old man.

Hope you and your boy have a great time together!

Offline Pindaroz

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
Hello and thanks for all reply's!

Yes I can imagine that we need to get more units really soon. We just want to play a few games to make sure he both enjoys it and that we can find the time for it. But I think and hope we will. To get another Black reach box is a very good idea! I put a mental note on that one :)

I have played some Warhammer Fansty (not much) but 40K seems more "straight on" and a little bit faster. I like that! And the movement really got me confused, but its very smooth that all units move 6 inches.

The 4+ rule is a good one. I remember somone saying that "You play for fun so keep it that way. Rules are important but dont let them get in the way". And I guess that the first battles will be quite a few rule discussion ;)

I let me son pic what army to play... Ork's or Space Marine. I think its two quite cool armies. But Im an "Ork-kind-of-guy" :) I have look at the army book and... well I got a few nice laughs :)

Once again; Thanks for all the answere and I hope too see you all soon again.

//Pin

If I had a dollar for every time I was wrong I would be a millionaire by now. But even richer if I got it for the times I was right...

Offline Two Hawks

• Eldar "The Race" to be
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
It's good to hear that you & your son are getting some quality time together.
Most definately play for fun. Have a day where both of you read the rules and codices together.
Don't be afraid to ask questions either here or at your LGS, because as the old saying goes, the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.
Enjoy it here and btw Welcome to 40k Online.
"Insignificant are other races to thy ELDAR"

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
If you think about the Black Reach set, you can divide it into three parts:

Rules and Bits

Orks

Space Marines

You shouldn't have too much trouble trading any third for any other third if you guys decide you don't wanna play orks or marines.

Like, let's say your son doesn't wanna do Marines or Orks. And you like Orks. You could try and trade the marine stuff for more orks or for another copy of the rule book and the scatter die.

So long as you're being fair and up front you won't find too hard of a time working out an honest trade with someone. It's an expensive hobby and everyone is looking for a way to get what they want cheaper.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Pindaroz

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
haha yeah, I already started to talk to my friends that also thinking about starting with 40K (they are also playing som Fantasy) so hopefully there will be a few people to trade with and buy from :) Otherwise I guess its kinda easy to find people that have stuff for sale.

One of the main thing for me to come here is to be able to ask (and in the near future answere) questions. And just to talk, hang and discuss :)

Tomorrow evening the "building process" begins, and we should be able to try out the first battle on saturday with an epic grey, non painted, army :P

Take care!