News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Storm Serpent & Void Spinner  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
Eldar Storm Serpent & Void Spinner
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:25:30 AM »
I love the Eldar tanks including the Scorpion and Cobra however I'm a little sad that outside of Epic that there isn't any rules or models for the Storm Serpent and Void Spinner so I've decided to have a crack at them (as somewhere down the track I'd like to convert these up from the Scorpion MK2 from FW).

Storm Serpent   500pts

BS 4   Armour F 12, S 12, R 11

Unit composition:
1 Storm Serpent

Unit Type:
Super Heavy Tank (Fast, Skimmer)

Structure Points:

Wargear:
Storm Serpent Pulse Laser
Scatter Laser

Special Rules:
Eldar Titan Holofields
Energy Field
Wraithgate Webway Portal
Assault Vehicle

Storm Serpent Pulse Laser:
Range 48” Str 9 AP2 Heavy 2

Energy Field: See Wave Serpent

Wraithgate Webway Portal: The Storm Serpent, in fact, is not truly a transport. Instead, its sleek hull mounts a portable portal generator, utilising the vast amounts of energy which most Eldar super-heavy grav-tanks channel into weapons to instead create a shimmering wraithgate amidst the Storm Serpent’s carefully attuned promontories. Up to four units that are held in reserve may disembark from anywhere along the Storm Serpent’s hull just like it were an open topped vehicle. Due to the size of the portal only Infantry, Jump Infantry, Jetbikes, Vypers, Hornets and War Walkers may deploy from the Storm Serpent.
If the Storm Serpent is destroyed, units in reserve may deploy from their respective board edge as normal.

Notes:
* Points value is based upon the cheaper of the two Engines of Vaul produced by Forgeworld. I did this as a ball park estimate.
* The changes between the Storm Serpent Pulse laser and a regular pulse laser is due to the rules in Epic where the Storm Serpent's version is stronger than the Falcon's.
* I decided to include the Wave Serpent's Energy Field as I figured if the Eldar take it on their smaller transport why not their larger one? However with the recent changes to the Eldar Titan Holofield and the inclusion of Jink via 6th edition I'm wondering if this upgrade might be too much? Because of the rules of Apoc however all your reserves will be on turn 3 at the latest so at most the Storm Serpent will only get two turns of acting as a transport until it becomes a very expensive gun board, so perhaps it should be "the ultimate transport"?
* The fluff in Epic says that Vypers and War Walkers may deploy from the Storm Serpent but doesn't mention Hornets (as they didnt exist at the time Epic was written). I'm assuming the Hornet would be similar sized to a War Walker and thus should be fine.

Void Spinner 500pts

BS 4   Armour F 12, S 12, R 11

Unit composition:
1 Void Spinner

Unit Type:
Super Heavy Tank (Fast, Skimmer)

Structure Points:

Wargear:
Void Spinner Array

Special Rules:
Eldar Titan Holofields

Void Spinner Array: The Void Spinner is armed principally with the same kind of monofilament weaponry as the smaller Night Spinner, but within these barrages the Void Spinner unleashes the same bacteria and wraithbone parasites that the Eldar of old used in their seeding and nurturing of the Maiden worlds. The effect is to utterly scour all life from the target, not merely slaying them with the constricting and slicing threads of monofilament, but by breaking down the molecules of everything – flesh, bone, rock, metal – under the affected area.

Range 120” Str 6 AP6 Apocalyptic Barrage (5) Rending, monofilament web *, Wraithbone parasites **

* Monofilament web: See Nightspinner. Due to the increased quantity of the monofilament webbing Dangerous Terrain tests are failed on a roll of 1 or 2

** Wraithbone parasites: The wraithbone parasites eat away all forms of matter they come in contact with as a result the AP value of the weapon has been increased. In addition armour, nor cover saves may be taken against wounds inflicted by the Dangerous Terrain tests incurred via the Monofilament Web.

Notes:
* Points cost derived the same way as the Storm Serpent.
* Void Spinner Array: In short this is the Nightspinner on steroids. So how to turn the Nightspinner into an apocalyptic weapon? (Keep in mind Eldar Super Heavy tanks that this is costed to reflect have access to Destroyer Weapons).
*Giving it Apocalyptic Barrage was a no brainer. I gave it 5 because it looks like the template and I think they go together nicely.
* Giving it an AP value was more of a fluff thing.
* The increase to Dangerous Terrain rolls however is simply to give it more punch - I think in comparison the Nightspinner would look like someone covered in silly string where the void spinner is like having a net from a fishing trawler thrown over you. Hence the increased chances of being cut.
* The inclusion of the Wraithbone parasites rule was simply because of the changes to Dangerous Terrain in 6th.

So what does everybody think?