News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 67557 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #180 on: June 1, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »
Thanks guys, your encouragement is really helping me dig in and finish up the set, although I'm quickly running out of colour combinations with the paints I have available to me. Here's the next two and they're green barons to boot. Only one more left.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:52:08 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #181 on: June 1, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
Hey Dog of War!
These fellas are getting better and better. How is the rest of the squadron supposed to keep up with the, "go fast red", one? Are those buss saws custom jobbies or come with the model? Looking really good, mate. You must be chuffed.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #182 on: June 2, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »
I love the buzzsaw mods you added to the Koptas, Dog of War.  I'm gonna have to pull out some bits like those to add to mine.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #183 on: June 3, 2017, 05:01:25 AM »
Great work dude :) getting close to a group shot now aren't we? Can't wait to see them all together :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #184 on: June 3, 2017, 06:20:15 AM »
More fine work DoW. I echo Ynnead when I say I'd love to see a group shot of all the Copters.

Great stuff!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #185 on: June 3, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
More impressive work DoW. I really love these schemes. Reece from Frontline Gaming has an entire IG army is red and black tiger stripes and I love it. I remember you could get camo like this in Metal Gear 3 (if you ever played that game) and I felt like such a badass in the red and black.

Killer work man. We definitely need a group shot! In fact I want some army pics!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
Well it's been quite a while for a post from me. Unfortunately I got caught in the craziness of the photobucket shenanigans and I've been trying to sort out some new image hosting. Hopefully this new site works out.

I've been able to finish off the last kopta in just a plain gray. I want to try and do a digital style camo, but I need to make some stencils first.

Taste the rainbow.

I've also started building more of my dark elder force and completed my four raiders kits and picked up some good quality air brush paint to start the army off. Pics to follow soon.

And finally, I've wanted to start beefing up my terrain at home and have been scouring pintrest for ideas. I've got a depot ready to be primed and painted and some second hand kids toys that I want to experiment with to see if I can convert them to something convincing.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2017, 03:32:50 AM »
G'day Dog of War!
Finally got to see the squadron together. Is squadron the correct term? What is the title of mushrooms plural? A bunch of Deff koptas maybe? Looking good, mate.
The refinery looks amazing. Your painting style will have it and the city appear authentic. Have used Berocca tubes, in the past, to build industrial piping laid horizontally. Like the ones, they sell at GW. Keen to see the Raider, DoW... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #188 on: August 2, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
What a brilliant multicoloured horde ;) brilliantly mishmash.

I'm liking how the terrain's shaping up too. Looks like it's got the basics of looking dead right, which will be finished off which a lick of paint. One thing that constantly surprises me is how something can go from 'tonka toy' to '40k' with nothing more than a coat of grimy paint and some weathering ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #189 on: August 2, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think I like the term a klutch of koptas the best.

Both pieces of terrain are primed and they are ready for the air brush. You're absolutely right how just a little bit of paint can turn something from a kids toy to a hobby showcase. I can't wait to show you the results. I'll hopefully have some more photos by the end of the week.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #190 on: August 3, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »
I like it! Hoopers should be Cin-Jens mech parts or Lost and Found: battle field salvage, Gork R Us (or Mork). Anyhow, can't wait to see them. I also love the multitude of colors you have used on your army, bet it's amazing on the table.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #191 on: August 3, 2017, 03:45:57 AM »
Nice job, I dig the rainbow and the depot. If I may suggest something for the depot btw. Put some grid on top of the tube. That would create a kind of plateform to put some minis on. Would allow for some vantage point wich could be nice. You do that and use toothpick to create some support along the side, for a bit or realism you know may be had some small gard rail?

That said the more I talk the more I wonder if that was a good idea to begin with... might be a bit too desigb heavy were you thing actually have a nice slick design righ ow wich could turn south if modified to much.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #192 on: August 5, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement and the great ideas.

I was able to set aside some time today to visit my local gamestore for the first time to play my first game of 8th edition. A huge thank you to the wife for watching the kids. Brought 2000 points of orks and one of the
local players was kind enough to help me through my first game against his
eldar.

DOW's Battalion

Warboss w/ big choppa, attack squig, shoota
Warboss w/ big choppa, attack squig, shoota
Snikrot

30 Slugga Boyz w/ powerklaw Nob
30 Slugga Boyz w/ powerklaw Nob
20 Gretchin

15 Kommands w/ x2 burna
Painboy
Painboy
Runtherd w/ grot prod, squig hound

2 Deffkopta bigbomm, kopta rokkits, spinning blades
2 Deffkopta bigbomm, kopta rokkits, spinning blades

2 Deff Dread x4 dread klaw
3 Killa Kans Grotzooka
3 Killa Kan Rokkit Launcha

Elliott's Battalion

Eldrad
Farseer

20 Guardians x2 shuriken cannon
20 Guardians x2 shuriken cannon
10 Avengers exarch x2 shuricats
10 Avengers exarch shimmershield, power glaive

5 Fire dragons exarch firepike
5 Dark Reapers

Fire Prism
Wraithlord brightlance

Wave Serpent x3 shuirken cannon
Wave Serpent x3 shuirken cannon

We played on a 6x4 table heavily littered with terrain. So much so that it was difficult to fit my army in my deployment zone. He rolled high and chose traditional 12" from table edge deployment and we decided to keep it simple and played kill points.

My orks were setup with a large boyz mob on each table edge and the grots
in the center off to my left. Each unit of kans were setup beside the boyz
and the corresponding dread behind them. The warbosses were setup one each behind the unit of boyz. I elected to reserve the koptas, kommandos, and Snikrot. You may have noticed I forgot the painboyz. More on this later.

He setup his farseer and the reapers high up in a corner ruin. Each guardian squad mirrored my boyz squads. The avengers were in the serpents about 24" from each of the side edges, The fire dragons were on foot, in the middle of the table with the wraithlord.

He went first and I failed to seize the initiative.

He started by advancing his guardians and serpents. Reapers, wraithlord and one serpents unloaded into the kans and dread and knocked off a wound from the kans and two from the dread. The other serpent took shots at the grots and killed two. Not much to get excited about.

My turn saw me move each boyz mob up and advance up the table edge. The grots moved up to the left most serpent, as well as the left most kans and dread. The right kans moved towards the guardians while the last dread hid
behind a ruin. I brought the koptas in behind the fire prism and dragons. Snikrot and the kommandos came in behind Eldrad and his guardians, but I kept Snikrot on an opposing ruin to the kommandos. The koptas take a single wound off the prism.

My assault phase saw the grots charge the wave serpent and weather the overwatch well and make it into combat. The kans and dread followed up with successful charges. The left most boyz squad charged their opposing guardians and made the charge range with only a few casualties to overwatch. I declined to charge Snikrot or the kommandos and tried to hide
them. I chose to do this to force my opponent to split his attention between the boyz and the kommandos next turn rather than try and weather overwatch for the off chance of making a charge and leaving the kommandos in the open for the following turn of shooting. If he wanted them, he had to come after them. The kans and dread take apart the wave serpent and the
boyz obliterate the guardians. Avengers spill out of the serpent.

His turn saw more shooting of my walkers with maybe a wound from the kans.
The boyz now in the open took some hits from the reapers. The wraithlord and fire dragons annihilate the koptas down to a single model. The avengers shoot and charge the grots and killed five. The remaining guardians move to shoot up Snikrot and only take off three wonds from him,
even with Eldrad's smite. The remaining wave serpent drops off the avengers and goes to intercept the right side boyz mob. At this point I choose to use 2 command points on insane bravery to keep the grots in combat and tie up the avengers.

My following turn sees the boyz advance and charge his farseer in the ruin and strip him down to one wound. He would have been creamed by the powerklaw nob, but when I rolled damage on his two remaining wounds I roll a solitary one after he fails one of his two forced invulnerable saves. Left most kans and dread advance on the fire prism and shots and assault bring it down to only a few wounds. My full strength boyz shoot their sluggas and assault his last wave serpent and take off four wounds. The other kans and dread shoot and assault the full strength avengers taking out about half. The kommandos and Snikrot and remaining kopta assault Eldrad and his guardians. Shooting and assualt take out 75% of the unit with only a two casualties on the ork side. The grots are joined by the runtherd and kill a few more avengers before subcoming to their attacks. I'm feeling in pretty good shape right now and it's only at that moment I
realize that I forgot to deploy my painboyz. My opponent let's me know that its not an issue and I can just consider them in reserve and bring them on from my table edge next turn.

His turn sees the farseer fall back and allows the wraithlord to flame the boyz and charge in. At that point I was about half strength of the thirty boy unit and lost another half to that assault. Surprisingly though I cut the wraithlord down to only a few remaining wounds and I'm left with 4 boyz and the powerklaw nob. Insane bravery kepts them locked in combat at the end of the turn. The fireprism falls back and allows the fire dragons to advance. I lose the last remaining kan, but I choose to reroll a covered save for the dread with a command point and he miraculously lives. The kopta, Snikrot, and kommandos kill off all the guardians but two and leave Eldrad with one wound. His serpent falls back and goes nose to nose with a warboss to take off a wound with his cannons.

With Snikrot and the kopta not in base contact with Eldrad on my turn, they move off to intercept the fleeing fire prism. They charge and leave him with a single wound. The left warboss, now left somewhat in the open moves to intercept the avengers that just killed the grots. The boyz and nob finish off the wraithlord in combat. The kans and dread finish off the other avengers.

The close to full strength boyz unit moves and charges Eldrad and wipe him
and his two guardians off the board. My two painboyz now enter and race up the board trying to meet up with a warboss, as they are the closest unit.

Eldar now strike back and his fire dragons clear out the last kopta, the dread with a single wound left, and Snikrot. The fire prism falls back to a hill. The serpent disengages and flies over head to circle and put the warboss in his sights again to strip another wound. The avengers shoot the other warboss and assault, but only cause a wound and lose 4 to the boss. His reapers remove the nob with his remaining four boyz. This is the final chance for the orks. The left most pain boy finally makes it into comabt and he and the warboss kill the remaining avengers. The other painboy and warboss charge and destroy the last wave serpent. The remaining kans and dread charge the fire prisim. Only the kans make it, but it's enough to strip that last wound. We roll to see if the game continues and it ends.

Orks 9 kill points, linebreaker, first blood
Eldar 8 kill points

Victory orks.

What a great introduction to eighth. I know I probably made a ton of tactical mistakes, mainly with my characters, but I'm really happy with how my orks work now. My list is virtually the same as I've played since fifth edition and it's really starting to click. Besides completely forgetting to deploy the painboyz, I need to learn to keep my characters with my troops. They simply got left behind and in the open this game.

Luckily my opponent wasn't truly able to capitalize on that, but the remained somewhat ineffectual. The koptas didn't seem to perform as I expected them to, but they did provide a significant distraction. It probably wasn't best to pop in behind all of his anti-armour firepower. The kommandos were solid and would have performed better, if it wasn't for the lack of ruins and only line of sight blocking terrain where I needed them. Grots were by all accounts a solid choice. They drew a lot of fire power for some reason and survived several turns of combat. They killed 3 avengers and even took a wound off a wave serpent with their blastas. I'm likely this everything can hurt everything ruleset. I absolutely love my huge boyz units, even though they are a pain to move and dreads and kans will continue to be the foundation for many lists to come.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2017, 11:29:36 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #193 on: August 6, 2017, 04:01:27 AM »
I'm so glad you got the experience.  I've played 4 games so far and imho, GW got this right. I hope they don't blow it with overpowered units in the future.
1st game, Eldar win
2nd Eldar, lose
3rd Deathwing, lose
4th Grey Knights, lose

Anyhow, fun was had, dice rolled good, dice rolled bad. It's just about time to be able to play and just have a great time with friends. As a matter of fact, most of our local players have started playing again.

Your game reads the same. Glad your in it.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #194 on: August 6, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
Hell yeah. Great win DoW. So glad you had a great win for your first game of 40k. I love the new edition to death so far. Yeah Orks are really, really good now. Playing big horde armies is fun and effective. Ork vehicles and walkers are also really solid. I think you had a great list and played a great game. Congrats on the win man and welcome to the new edition!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »
Ya, it was definitely fun and I can't wait to go back. I do have to give Cav the credit for prodding me to go out and try my local game store.

I had so much fun with the orks, I just had to paint up another dread that I had sitting around. I really enjoyed painting the red and gray scheme on the deffkoptas, so I thought I'd give it a go on a walker. Playing some Splintermind podcasts in the background certainly do help crank out a quick paint job.

While rooting around for my spare dread parts I came across the first dread I every painting. Certainly has the space clown paint job those rogue trader orks had back in the day. I'm torn about repainting it, as its my last old school painted model I haven't repurposed or sold off. I think I have to keep him around to remind me not to take the hobby so seriously sometimes.

Up next are my dark eldar raiders. I've finished the modeling and I went to an art supply shop to get some notes on airbrushing and picked up some reasonably high quality paint. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:54:04 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:58 AM »
Hey DoW glad I helped you get over to FLGS and get a game in man. Trust me, I'm a total hermit. I could just easily stay home paint and do all the other stuff I normally do, but it really juices up the hobby to play games. Still glad you had a great one. Also glad you are listening to Splintermind! The next episode to drop will be good and I think the September episode will be even better (we're gonna talk about in game experiences, lists + key units from across the non-Aeldari spectrum).

But yeah the new dreadie looks sick! Love the grey, red and black. It gives a real gritty industrial vibe which I love. I imagine ork vehicles as greasy, smoke belching mechanical menaces and this gives that vibe!

Also yes! Do not repaint that guy! I saved my first ever 40k mini and will never repaint it. Thats actually a pretty nice paint job. Its pretty dang clean. Man do I remember that old paint scheme. Pretty garish, but if you come from the old school you gotta love it.

Anyway great stuff DoW keep it up!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
G'day Dog of War!
Thanks for the flashback, mate. Your rogue trader dread has brought back a lot of fond memories. A very neat paint job on it as well. I find it fascinating seeing the differences in painting styles from peoples first models to their last. Your latest beast looks Micky Mouse. Your Orks must look amazing on the table, DoW... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
Thanks guys. The dread will stay as is.

So it's been several weeks if model building, as I'm the type who wants a built force before I start painting. I've finally finished up and primed my raiders. Spent a few more days playing with the air brush and I'm ready to apply my base coat.

First coat done and as I'm starting on the second raider I notice the paint disappearing and only a gloss finish remaining. I let it try and try again. Same thing. I tweak the pressure, play with the dilution of the paint. No change. Then it dawns on me. The primer. Cheap me decided it was a good idea to follow the internet's advice a just use some hardware store primer that now I realize nothing sticks to it. So a quick race out to Sir-Games-a-Lot, some Corax White purchased on the credit card, and a quick prime later, hopefully I will have some better success tonight after work. It was also not a bright idea of mine to initially use a black primer for a purple undercoat. Hopefully with the right primer and a lighter colour I'm able to salvage these raiders. I'll let everyone know how it goes tonight.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
After several trials, a few reptiles, numerous tests, I think I've finally found a sweet spot with paint dilution and psi. I'm sticking around 25 psi and a paint dilution that just barely coats the walls of glass jar it's kept in when I tilt it. I think drinking all that wine on the weekend really helped, as it's viscosity is pretty similar to a good glass of red. I used golden fluid acrylics Dioxazine Purple. It's a lot more glossy than I typically paint, but I think it's going to lend to the sleekness of the dark eldar line. I am a terrible edge painter, so there was no way I was going to execute a conventional gw paint scheme. The goal is to base coat the Dioxazine, base coat all the metal with an acrylic pewter and wash the metal with Nuln Oil. I'm unsure if I want to highlight or wash the purple, as the airbrush tends to pick out the highs and lows on its own. Super exciting and terrifying at the same time. At least that GW primer saved my butt and covered over that horrible hardware store spray.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:12:10 PM by dog_of_war »