News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making a Game table! [FINAL PIC!]  (Read 13869 times)

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
Re: Making a Game table!
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2007, 10:28:33 AM »
could you post links to the trees so that we could give better suggestions?
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Chrono

• Spamming Wave Serpents Before It Was COOL!!!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
ya. see that is kinda a problem. since after odering them.. the link on ebay with the pics doesn't show up anymore. And even if it somehow was still up. my links to the product were on my computer which is currently broken. AND i didn't bother to save the pics of the tree to post up...
but here i will try to find something similar.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/50-GREEN-MODEL-TREE-PACK-9-Cm-3-5_W0QQitemZ130158269074QQihZ003QQcategoryZ11648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
well it isn't the same.
mine are a bit taller and are darker green. but the trunk is similar size.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2007, 10:52:08 AM »
what if you were to get a piece of tubing and inserted a bit of the trunk into it and glued it solid? you then could put the tree into the board securely.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Chrono

« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »
Ya i was thinking of something like that too, but am slightly worried will cause a lot of damage to the board. I can't wait to get the trees and actually see if i can pin them or not.

So i flocked the entire table yesterday. That was quite a lot of work. And I needed about 600 mL of glue. So my next step is painting :D.. well after i touch up an edge of the table that my hockey net fell onto. :( (but very small amount of damage). I am going to prime it all black, and i was wondering if I should use my friends large airbrush that he uses for painting cars, or just stick with black spray paint.

Also, does anyone know of a good place i can buy bulk static grass???
I don't want to use GW static grass, and I really hate the woodland scenic stuff.
And it is so hard to find any stuff that is nice and in bulk. I live in toronto btw. But I found a great sight online that sold 1 lb of many different kinds of static grass for 19$. However the shipping was 16-25$ and would take 6-14 weeks or something. So i didnt' end up buying it. I already went to many model train shops in my area and no one has like anything. And if they have something it is always a small bag of woodland scenic stuff.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
how about some pictures of your project?

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
CHRONO:  What site did you find the static grass you mentioned, I wouldnt mind checking it out. What dont you like about the woodland scenic stuff.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
@ MRJUICE
I found that static grass at http://www.scenicexpress.com/
It is a pretty sweet site with a lot of nice stuff on it.  Just wasn't what i ended up deciding on because of hte shipping time and cost. If u aren't in a rush though.. i think it is great. Plus i think if u order mroe than 2lbs of stuff the shipping is better.

It seems that the woodland scenic stuff doesn't have the multicoloured hairs mixed in to give the grass some dimension. Like the GW stuff has some yellow and like redish grass strands in the green grass, which i think make it look better. Plus i wasn't happy with other woodland scenic products like the realistic water and want to try some other companies out.

@ Gerrie
hehe. I suppose i can put my pics up. Though I don't have my computer yet (Still being fixed). But i am going to go pick it up tonight. So I can't upload anything till i get that back up and running. So either tonight or tomorrow, i can upload whatever pics i have.

UPDATE~

- I fixed up that small chip in the table from the hockey net falling over on it :P
- I drove all over the place trying to find a black spray paint that wouldn't melt foam (aka.. water, not solvent based). And I tried walmart, homedepot and a small craft store, before finding it at Michaels (a big craft store here in canada). The spray paint says it can be used on styrofoam, and is intended for like flowers and such so i better not melt my foam. Though i am sure it won't, but i still haven't tried it yet. I will as always test spray another piece of foam before i go straight at my table. It was quite pricey though for the 2 spray paint cans i got (2 x flat black).  They were like 7$ each! and i was tired of driving around and didn't care anymore so i just got them. U probably could find some cheaper ones. But make sure they are safe for foam!
- While i was at Michaels, i knew they sold envirotex there, so i purchased a 32 oz kit. Which was the biggest they had there, and hope it will be enough for my 2 rivers. (1 L approximately). This also was expensive!!! around 34$!!! I am kinda afraid to use this stuff.. the two components seem so harmful to your body in anyway. Just breathing the fumes in is like very potent. And touching it :S. Well when ever i get around to adding the water i will try my best to not kill myself and use goggles/gloves/and some kind of amazing mask.
- I went to ebay to search for my flock solution.  And gave in to what i saw. So i purchased 3 packages of static grass off this one guy and with shipping it cost me 18.50$ approximately. The packages are appoximately100g each by inspection. And the colour is medium green. Only issue is it is coming by USPS First Class Mail International, from arizona usa, to me in toronto. And i think that type of shipping is the cheapest u can get from USPS. And it doesn't even have a time estimate on the site. For every otehr type it does, but for this type it says (time varies) or some bs like that. So lets hope it comes this year :P.

So i basically did a lot of shopping yesterday so that i can now continue working on the table. And now i can prime it at least, so i can begin the painting process.

this table is also costing me quite a bit though i have noticed. i am probably going just over 200$ right now. So that isn't good :( . But if u don't have trees or water .. u would be able to make a much cheaper table.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Chrono

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »
okay here are some in progress pics.
the primed table pics aren't up.. and haven't been taken yet. But i am basically done priming. I just need to get 1 more can of spray to finish it off perfectly.

Anyways. Hope this helps put a visual to what i have been saying.

UPDATE!
2 cans of black spray paint. was JUST enough to cover everything. BUT.. i would say 3 cans is needed for a thicker more even coat. I am going to go buy more can as well as the paint for the board tomorrow.
But the table looks cool all black now. Since it basically hides all the progress steps with putty and foam... so it is all uniform and nice :D. The pva glue seems to be holding the sand to the table VERY well.  It all feels really solid. OH ya. when my friend and I were carrying it outside and trying to get all the excess sand off before priming. We kinda had some bad grip and thought none the less that we should shake it like upside down. But the way we were holding it was awkard (not touching the surface and only the wood frame). And it is pretty heavy at this wierd angle. So to cut the story short we dropped it!!!!!! topside down!! on my front lawn!!. It fell a good way too :S. AND!! it was like basically perfect when it picked it back up. Only an area the size of a toothpick of sand came off. which was re sanded quickly. That was a BIG scare though. But now i have more faith in it's durability.

Anyways. enjoy the pics. And remember there is still a lot to be done, to make it look like the nice forest landscape it will turn out to be.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »
Chrono, I am really amazed with what I see. This is a fantastic project, good luck finishing it :)

Offline Schrodinger

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 07:58:51 AM »
Excellent progress, it's comming together nicely.

I am very pleased to hear about the durability of the surface as it saved you from that fall.

Also, when it comes time to playing, that strength will serve you well when your friends start dropping their metal mini's with the pointy bits down.  I can't tell you how many sword-stabs my first surface has sustained (I went the easy way out and used a textured spray-paint.  Far less durable than pva+sand).

P.S. GW places a small amount of buttered bread in each and every model, ensuring that it will never land with the base pointed down.  :P

Offline Chrono

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »
has anyone ever applied static grass to a LARGE area like a table before? If so how much did u need? Since i am having doubts on if i got enough. Like there will be dirt patches and all.. but still most of the table will be grass covered. Part of the reason in me thinking i don't have enough was from sanding it, since i had such a big bag of sand i didnt' care about dumping so much on. And although like a huge amount of it came off when i tipped the table since it was all excess, it still feels like i used a lot of sand. Now I don't have 30 kilograms of static grass but if used efficiently i really hope it will cover 70% of the surface.

Also. does anyone know where i can find a half-mask respirator. (not a simple dust mask. but something that will protect me from the fumes of resin). or is it not really that dangerous? The lables make it seem pretty damn harmful to your budy if inhaled, touched, injested etc...
(oh and i mean a store.. not a website).
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »
I personally dont like the look of large areas or whole tables done in static grass, I think its much better when a table is flocked and static grass is used as patches and small areas. But thats just my preference.

If you want to use static grass, two 55 cu in containers should do the job as long as your careful of not wasting or losing too much while you apply it. Go for 3 to be on the safe side, then youll have lots extra to base your minis to match.

As long as your in an area that has some decent ventilation, you should be fine. What kind of resin are you using. Most resins ive used are no worse, fumewise, than using spray cans. If you do want to get something tho, try an army surplus store and you can get them for cheap, or you can go to an auto supply store like NAPA.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 11:45:58 AM »
It is going to be patchy but still with a good amount of covereage. I don't like full grass table either.
And I order 3 bags of the stuff. Not 100% sure on the size because ebay pic is bad.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Static-Grass-Medium-Green-TC3008_W0QQitemZ160039143126QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2588QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

3 of these. And i suppose I will start out doing it with much more dirt showing. Then if i run out it will jsut be more patchy
and if i don't, i can ad more till i want to stop.

Hmm i will look into the army surplus store. But after reading mroe up on it, it seems to be not to hazardous. I am going to be doing it outside anyways so it will be well ventillated at least. do u think there will be a problem with hte curing because it will be in my garage over night. I live in toronto, and it gets a bit cold at night in the fall.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
Im near London not too far from you, you wont have to worry about it curing. Those bags you purchased will be nowhere near enough, looks about 5 cu in, a bag smaller than a hand. Go to a model shop that deals with trains, and get the big shakers of woodland scenic stuff 55 cu in, youll need two. The downfall to woodland scenic and the stuff you bought is that the fibres are a uniform colour, not a mixture like GW has. If you like the look of the GW stuff find someone who sells Noch supplies, their static grass is just like GW.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 01:47:42 AM »
Hmm. I have trouble finding even the woodland scenic stuff though. The model train stores here seems to have a very poor selection.
Has anyone ever tried mixing two colours of woodland scenics stuff? if so. did it mix nicely and look good on the table?
Because i could always buy 2 and mix the colour than just through in whatever i got to get some even greater range of colour variation in the fibres
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2007, 03:31:06 AM »
I have all 6 colours of woodland scenics stuff, you cant get a GW static grass look by using a mixture. The woodland scenics stuff are all kinda 'muted' in colour, mixing them together can give you a very nice realistic look, but its overall kinda 'muted' for lack of a better term. Kinda like how vallejo model colours are to the game colours.

If i remember correctly, I use a mix of about 3 medium green : 1 burnt grass : 1 honey of the woodland scenics stuff. I will see if I can dig up some pics with any decent closeup shots. I actually prefer the more realistic colours of the woodland scenics but thats just me.

Offline Z4k

• Words cannot express the awesome
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2007, 04:33:28 AM »
What werent you happy about with the woodland scenic water ??? Was this the bead-ish things?

VERY nice looking board so far, cant wait for more pics!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:35:19 AM by Z4k »

Offline Chrono

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
@ Mr. Juice: Hmm ya. I can picture waht u mean, since the woodland scenics colours are not as neon/bright as GW. But i would still love to see a pic of yours all mixed up.

@ Z4K
I used realistic water by woodland scenics. So the non bead stuff. But i found it:
a) didn't dry with a hard finish .. (kinda spongy and a bit tacky)
   eg. in one of my old golden deamon battle scenes i had a river with that stuff, and now 2 years later a skink who had broken off and had been laying on the river has slowly sunk in :P. He is stuck :P
b) BUBBLES!!!! While i geuss bubbles might be cool in some applications I don't like massive bubbles appearing on the surface of my river.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »
Heres what I could find in my photobucket acct

and another one here

Those are using the same mix ratio I mentioned earlier, from a distance its harder to see the different colours in the fibres. Looks better IRL. Gives you an idea of what woodland scenics looks like mixed anyway.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »
WOW! that is some really REALLY nice stuff u have there. I like the grass too!!
How much does a container of woodland scenics stuff go for in canada anyways?
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!