News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WotW! Saint Snik Orks-mas Competition - Jack_Merridew's Entry  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
WotW! Saint Snik Orks-mas Competition - Jack_Merridew's Entry
« on: December 9, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »
Many 'umies like to celebrate christmas.  The age old tradition of a man in a red suit jetting around and going into peoples houses while they sleep was too much for Boss Snik to pass up.  So once a year he dons his red suit and wreaks havoc upon the countryside.  Over the years, Saint Snik expanded.  Warbosses under him travelled to knew planets in hopes of spreading "orksmas" cheer.  This is where our story comes into play. 

Gerinch was a nob enforcer for his planets Boss Snik.  He hated the tradition.  'Umies would decorate and sing and dance.  Gerinch hated that his boss would get into his orksmas rokkit sled and plunder throughout the holiday season.  Gerinch was so fed up with it all that he just had to make a change.  After his boyz pillaged a small village, he sent in the smartest of his grots to find him anything orksmassy.  They found him a picture of Saint Nicholas.  He was a fat 'umie.  All dressed in red.  He had furry animals with scraggly horns that lead his way. 

Gerinch burned four more villages until he finally realized what orksmas was all about.  He was going about it all wrong.  So he gathered his mob and made a cunning plan.  The next village they burned he was wearing his orksmas best.  A suit of clothing died red with blood, lined with the whitest fur so he could sneak up in the snow.  His first wave of the attack was to add all kinds of wirey antlers to his bomb squigs.  He would send them in first like the 'umies santas would do.  They would explode and do as much damage as they could before he and his 'elves' would come in and ransack everyone.  The final touch of course, was to leave a tiny tree decorated with ork icons so that everyone knew that it was the new Saint Snik that had visited this town.

So with this concept in mind I give you my nob Gerinch, and his favorite bomb squig.

Here is a close up of his bomb squig. 

And finally a better view of Gerinch.

My idea was to make the squig like the one from how the grinch stole chrismas with just the one antler on his head, but I liked the curly ones a bit better.  And the tree was supposed to be like the one from charlie brown christmas as far as it being really week and bend over like that.  First time I've tried to do snow as well, so I've sprinkled snow on top of everything.  I thought it looked good on top of the antlers, but it seemed to get lost on the already white shoulderpads of the nob.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:37:22 PM by Jack_Merridew »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Saint Snik centerpiece
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
This convertion reeks of pure Ork Awesomeness. Tanks fer sharin dat wit us.

WOW.

Anyway you did it serious justice with the story and da convertion, all the orkyness trinkets to go wit da Umie side of da stories, etc. I really really like it. Only issue I have is that the Knob doesn't seam like he can come off the big themed base, and thus he will miss out on some Authentic Table Battles (Unless he stands on da sidelines and grabs passers by, etc)

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
yeah, and as that is one of my two bomb squigs....

but, I have a plan...the snow isnot that thick, so a little "delicate" xacto work should free him up.  He wasn't glued down, so it's just the snow overlap that his holding him down.  If I cut it just right they should come off with the exact spots left to replace them back.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
That is really looking good  ;D  Most excellent work, I see you are a genius with the snow flock.
The story line is good too, but the antlers on the squig are just hilarious, makes me want to convert one of mine.
Makes my one model entry look like an amateur......

Now I suppose I will have to come up with a diorama to stay in the running  :(
(just kidding, my wife would kill me if I get too carried away)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »
great work! love the back story and everything!
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
I wish I could take better photos.  I truelly love it better in person.  It's sitting on my desk right next to my pipboy bobble head.  The squig antlers are my favorite too.  Pure luck.  I tried several items to make the antlers, all bits and bobbles I've collected over the year.  Working in IT, I get a lot of old components and wires.  I just unwound two inches of thick copper coil, and then bent them a bit with some pliers then painted them brown. 

I do wish I had more ork glyphs left over to decorate the tree, but those were the only ones I didn't rig in some way to my nobz.  The base was 40 cents at Micheals, so my only real investment was time and the $4 I spent on snow flocking stuff.  It would have been 8, but my wife pointed out that on the back of the reciept from the last time I "wasted money at Micheals" was a coupon for 50% off one item, so cheap snow it was.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »
great work! love the back story and everything!

Click on my banner and find out the story of Saint Snik, and then if you like, enter the competition, as it's open to all members of 40KOnline.

Over the years, Saint Snik expanded.
And so the legend of Saint Snik grows; I think I've created a monster...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:31:47 AM by DropFall »