News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Uh warhammer fantasy  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
Uh warhammer fantasy
« on: February 12, 2002, 08:34:59 PM »
some of my freinds are now switching from 40k to fantasy.  Im sticking with 40k ELDAR ALL THE WAY!, uhh just one kindof general question.  whats the difference? i know the square bases, the different bases, its in the past, and stuff, but are there any real different rules or anything? whats so special about it?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
Re:Uh warhammer fantasy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 10:17:09 PM »
There are actually quite a few differences.  Just a few examples:

1) Most troops march in formation and changing direction/formation costs movement.
2) A broken (fleeing) unit can cause nearby friendlies to break as well - makes the Leaders a bit more valuable
3) Magic is a lot more varied than Psychic powers in 40K and can, in some cases, change the battle's outcome quickly.
4) Takes a lot more models to field a decent army, but they tend to look more unified (and can be a bit more of a bore to paint if you need lots of foot troops)

There's more, but that's all I can think of immediately.  I've got the 6th ed rules and have a Lizardman army I'm working on (as well as Empire and Orcs that come with the box, of course).  I've played 3 or 4 times and its fun.  Biggest problem is that we get rules confused between 40K and Fantasy.  Some of them are so close that it seems like they could really do one ruleset and just offer codexes that were labeled 40K or Fantasy.  Be a lot cheaper that way too.  ;D

If you haven't had a chance, give it a run or at least watch a game.  It's not half-bad and I've actually found that it helps my 40K tactics a bit.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Moogoo_the_Great

• Experienced renter-of-movies.
    • The Bolter and Chainsword
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 11:58:28 PM »
I'm playing Dark Elves, they're pretty damn cool. Lot's of people say they stink, but I know better than that. :) What other armies have Hydras?? Huh? :)The amount of fear you can cause. :)
"If I see one more person renting Crouching Tiger-dubbed I'm gonna blow someone's head off" -Moogoo

Offline Calaveylon

• Put The Fear of the Eldar Into The Mon-Keigh!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 06:44:03 AM »
*AHEM*  Moogoo, High Elves have fear causing units, too.  We have Dragons, Griffons, and Phoenix Guard.
IMHO, these three units are great, and a dragon can char and then shred a Hyrda with its 5 attacks (Yea, baby!  That's the ticket!). Oh, yes the Hydra's Beastmaster Keeper...that will be terminated by the High Elf Prince riding the dragon with its 4 attacks which will probably be with some Druchii destroying weapon!
<Mocking Laughter>
Be careful what you terminate first!  I don't know what is worse to be left fighting against, the dragon or the High Elf Prince!

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 05:43:55 PM »
Hey Calaveylon, im about to start a high elf army! I have a question though,  i konw u can have a dragon prince squad mounted on dragons but how do they line up and how many can u have?
SO YOU WANNA BE A ROCK SUPPERSTAR? LIVE LARGE, BIG HOUSE FIVE CARS YOUR IN CHARGE COMING UP IN THE WORLD DONT TRUST NOBODY GOT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER CONSTANTLY...

Offline Calaveylon

• Put The Fear of the Eldar Into The Mon-Keigh!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 05:48:59 AM »
If you want a Dragon Prince Squad, then you are talking about a unit of Dragon Princes on Ithilmar barded Elven Steeds where both the rider and steed are wearing Dragon Armor (immune to ANY type of fire).  The unit size is 5+ (130 pts min).  The maximum size is whatever you can afford because Dragon Princes cost 26 pts. ea. If you want Dragon Princes mounted on dragons, then you need to play by War of the Beard variant rules where each Dragon Prince costs 265 pts. ea. (I'm not sure exactly because my White Dwarf 264 is hiding...).  This Dragon Prince is on a dragon with Dragon Armor, and because the Dragon Prince is on a dragon he moves indepenantly becauase he rides a monstrous mount. The Dragon Prince on steed Champion costs +18 pts and can carry 25 pts. of magic items, a Standard Bearer costs +18 pts. and can take an up to 50 pt. magic banner (which is most of them), and a Musician costs +9 pts. Does this answer your question?  I will refer to the White Dwarf and properly answer your question if it doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2002, 08:22:39 PM by Calaveylon »