News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron Phalanx  (Read 5524 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Necron Phalanx
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
OK Demonboy, you seem pretty knowledgable for just starting out, so kudos for actually reading the codex... Here is a Link to my project thread for my Necrons (needs a few updates) but in there you may actually find a couple of things to help you out.

-- How to build Immortals out of Warriors comes straight to mind, as 60 Warriors looks good on paper; but 40 Warriors and 10 Immortals work better on the table (especially if you consider that you have a load of stuff that you could still build other things with such as Flayed Ones, Wraiths, etc).

-- I have begun to add tactica for each unit and some overall army tactics (and althought most of it is 4th Ed, its still viable in most cases)...

-- And lastly, there are some BatReps, army lists etc in there that may give you some ideas....

Oh and one last comment just for the Phalanx, if your even a little imaginative, you can get a lot more Scarab Swarms out of your sets, as you only need 3 figures per base to make them look good and legal. You can also build 5 Destroyers and a Destroyer Lord with the stuff you listed and a touch of Green Stuff.

I don't profess to be a Necron master, as they are one of my secondary armies (Eldar first as always). But I thought that some of this might help you, and if you ever have comments in regard to my ideas; please feel free to fire them at me, so eventually we can both be better Necron players.

now onto the Discussion of set-up
     Some missions state that you can put 2 Troop and 1 HQ on the table, but there is not requirement to put anything on the table... In fact if you don't (because your opponent has first turn) then all your stuff (unless Deepstriking etc)enters play from your table edge on turn 1... I have found this good for allowing the enemy to coem at me and have nothing to shoot at for his first turn... then I come on table and take cover (shooting where I can); but more importantly, I can see how his entire set-up is (HUGE advantage in some games)...
     Monolith for me is generally in front or flanking to my Warriors as I like its ability to take a lot of abuse while Blocking out certain enemy things (stuff I want to deal with later), so I would not say that behind your units is the best idea (although its an option).
     If your in a mission where you do decide to keep stuff in reserves, then they have two options (in teh case of Warriors at least)... they can enter form your table edge on turn 1, as per the mission I spoke of above... or they can come in via teleport through Monolith... But this is risky, so carefully weigh the advantages dis-advantages as you go... In generall I start my Mono on the table and only DS if I have 2 Mono's (bigger games for me)... I find teh Mono's ability to suck up abuse is enough for the rest of my army to do its job. In fact I hate the guys that ignore the Monolith and go straight for PO through Warrior elimination.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Demonboy

• Forum Idiot: I post so I don't have to read
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
I have 20/13 Scarabs, 3 on each base instead of 4.

As for the rest, I need all 60 Warriors, infact I'm going to continue to buy Warrior boxes until I have 120 Warriors, yes 6 Troops choices. I'm going to buy the real Flayed Ones, Pariahs, and Immortals as well as all of the models.

I'm not a newbie I've been playing for about 2 years and I know how the game works, I was just looking for some army list advice.

Not that I dont appreciate your tactics, I'm saving my time and I'm not worried about tactics. Once I find a viable list that works I'm going to start looking for the tactica on said list.

Offline TheGreatAvatar

• H. A. A. W. G. S.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
Not that I dont appreciate your tactics, I'm saving my time and I'm not worried about tactics. Once I find a viable list that works I'm going to start looking for the tactica on said list.

A viable list is one that works for you and your tactics.  Looking for the "perfect" list is like chasing windmills.  There's nothing wrong with looking for suggestions but nothing beats building a list and playing several games with it to see how it works together.

Right now you're looking for lists that have very large Warrior units.  Play with a couple of your lists and see how that works.  Your tactics (yes, despite what you might think, you do have tactics) will help YOU judge if any of the lists work for YOU.  Yep, I've run through many a list trying to figure out what works for me.  It took awhile to figure out a comfortable list and learn how to play it.

The bottom line is play.  The more you play the better feel you'll get for the type of units work for you.

Offline Demonboy

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
The order in which you make a functioning list is figure out what units you have and then figure out how they work together.

Such as:
Veil Lord + Immortals

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Yes, but then there's also a lot of editing that goes on afterwards. The list I run now is similar to what I started out with, though there are important differences. I've cut back on warriors because while they are resilient they don't kill much - they had become my primary AT units in all honesty. I started with 2 tomb spyders and a few heavy destroyers and destroyers. The destroyers got swapped for wraiths over time, the heavy destroyers for more tomb spyders. I also have a monolith which I generally avoid using below 2000pts, but I almost always use a C'tan now, at any level over 1000pts. I started off always using res orbs and now I almost never use one. I do get phased out every once in a while, but I find other upgrades to be more useful for my own style.

This is something I could not know without using the models [or proxying models before purchasing, which is always recommended]. In the case of warriors, having loads of them is an investment into a certain approach to the game. If that approach is where you want to be then it makes sense, but loading up on warriors if you prefer to win in combat is not a good move.

Of course, you're probably aware of all this. But on the off-chance you weren't, it can save some money.

Offline Demonboy

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »
I'm not worried about money, I'm going to buy lots of different units and explore varieties of tactics and army lists, I just needed to learn the first few basics and necessities.

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 01:37:05 AM »
I'm not worried about money,
Wow...
I wish I was in that position...
 :'(

I'm going to buy lots of different units and explore varieties of tactics and army lists, I just needed to learn the first few basics and necessities.
Well if thats the case then i would look at the Tactica posted above...
It should give you basic tactics AND THEM SOME!

-B
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline Demonboy

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
Ya well, I'm only 16 and I have a job. So... I'm really not responsible for paying for anything lol. I loved the tactica post, Moc has given book-like tactica like that on every thread I've made and it's very helpful.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »
I am here to serve... wait thats what my minions are supposed to saying to me... if I had any minions.

Anyway, glad to have helped out.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Demonboy

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
I have a Minion, his name is Nate and he literally will do whatever I tell him to  ;D
He's not my slave though, he's my minion.