News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flying Monkeys Recap!  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

Flying Monkeys Recap!
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
So I got to enjoy the first day of the Flying Monkeys GT yesterday! Sadly, scheduling issues prevent me from playing today as well, but day one was a blast! My list:

Dark Eldar CAD (Primary Detachment) – 716 points

HQ
180- Archon (Warlord): agonizer, blast pistol, haywire grenades, shadow field, webway portal
ELITES
150-Grotesques X 4: includes aberration
48-Mandrakes X 4
48-Mandrakes X 4
TROOPS
40-Kabalite Warriors X 5
70-Dedicated Transport Raider with disintegrator cannon and night shields
40-Kabalite Warriors X 5
40-Kabalite Warriors X 5
FAST ATTACK
70-Raider with disintegrator cannon and night shields
70-Raider with disintegrator cannon and night shields

Allied Eldar Craftworlder Detachment – 625 points

HQ
115- Autarch: banshee mask, shard of Anaris
ELITES
210-Wraithguard X 5: d-scythes
TROOPS
90- Guardian Defenders X 10
HEAVY SUPPORT
210- War Walkers X 3: Each walker has a star cannon and bright lance.

Aspect Host Formation (+1 Ballistics Skill) – 506 points
180- Dark Reapers X 5: includes dark reaper exarch; all models have starshot missiles
121-Swooping Hawks X 6: includes exarch with sunrifle
205- Warp Spiders X 9: includes exarch with twin-linked death spinner

ROUND ONE: Emprah's Will
So my day started off with a game against a dauntingly durable force.  Hist list from memory:

3 Imperial Knights
2 squads of breachers in drop pods
2 librarians to buff those breachers
1 scoud of scouts. 
1 tech priest or data smith or some such thing to lead those breachers.

I assume this involved the Flesh Tearers formation or some such shenanigans. 

He elected to deploy and go first, putting his scouts up in a high piece of terrain to keep them safe and spreading his knights out across the board. I deployed conservatively, leaving only my squad of raider-mounted warriors, my war walkers, grotesques (in their raider with an autarch baby sitter), my spiders, and and my swooping hawks on the table. Everything else arrived from some combination of deepstriking, outflanking, or normal reserves (the dark reapers were hanging out in a raider). The latter were well hidden behind a wall of terrain, so I felt pretty safe leaving them on the table for at least a turn. Turns out, they wouldn't anyway.

I seized(!), and flew my hawks straight ahead to engage the nearest knight.  I hit with a haywire grenade in shooting, but rolled a 1, and then proceeded to put a single measley glance on the knight before being stomped to death. Well that was effective. :\  My war walkers plinked away at a different knight to little effect.  My autarch realized he would only be of minimal help against the knights and opted to move closer to the piece of terrain holding the scouts, hoping to sit on some objectives later in the game. 

His first turn saw a lot of shooting to not a lot of effect.  The first drop pod showed up on my right flank near my warriors and walkers. He managed to blow my warriors out of their raider, but not much else. One of his knights tried to assault my grotesque raider, but an overwatching haywire grenade took off a hull point and seemed to befuddle his charge attempt (he rolled low on the charge).

I counter-attacked a bit harder. My d-scythe wraith guard arrived and blasted the knight that had slain my hawks off the table. Unfortunately, I lost all but one of my wraith guard to the resulting detonation.  My spiders flickered around the table and put some shots into the knight that had attempted to charge my grotesque raider to little effect.  The unmounted guardians and warriors came up along my right flank and combined their fire with my war walkers and dismounted warriors to kill all but a single breacher from the squad that had arrived.  My reapers prove to be lazy bums and stay off the table.

On his turn, the second drop pod arrives and unloads into my wraithguard squad.  The attached archon managed to tank all but a single wound, costing him his shadowfield, but leaving my last d-scythe wraithguard alive.  One knight blew my grotesques out of their raider while the other took a chunk out of my guardians and a kabalite squad. The knight that took out my grotesque raider charged my warp spiders.  They came out of it wounded but alive and hit & ran behind the scout's tower to hide.  I made all my leadership tests for the turn, but I definitely felt that one.  On the plus side, his last breacher attempted to assault my dismounted warrior squad and lost

On my turn, my mandrakes and reapers join the fight.  One squad of mandrakes heads towards his new breacher squad to toss some shots their way. The other comes in near the wreckage of my grotesque raider to try and hold the objective there.  Combined shooting from the spiders, wraith guard, and dark reapers took down the knight on my left flank, but the resulting blast tore apart a few spiders leaving the squad looking rather frail.  My grotesques headed towards the new breacher team and charged in, ignoring their overwatch thanks to the autarch's banshee mask.  The archon broke off from the wraith guard and decided to join in on the fight against the breachers, tearing the unit apart.

After that, the fight became a bit of a slap fight.  I tossed reaper missiles across the table at his last night who in turn blew apart my war walkers.  Eventually, I managed to take him off the table. His scouts got torn apart by my grotesques after they came down from their tower to shoot up some mandrakes.  I took out one drop pod with a d-scythe and the other with reapers to table the game. 

Max points for the Poisoned Tongue and their crafworlder pals!

ROUND TWO: THE RELIC
His list from memory:
Nemesis strikeforce featuring...
2 dreadknights
1 Draigo
1 Librarian
2 squads of purifiers(?)
A storm raven
1 squad of terminators

My opponent turned out to be a guy that I play against locally pretty often, so I was pretty familiar with his list.  I got lucky and rolled the warlord trait that let me infiltrate a few units.  I went with the wraith guard and warp spiders as well as my Fast Attack raider.  I realize now that the raider wasn't a valid option. Oops. :\

Thanks to my mistake, I was easily able to get my d-scythes within range of one of the knights to predictably devastating effect.  In my defense, I'm pretty sure I could have infiltrated just around the corner of a shipping crate to bring most of my scythes to bare anyway, but this part was still crummy. 

The rest of my shooting bounces off of his other knight, which he sends to engage my archon and wraith guard.  I got squeamish about taking saves on my shadowfield and ended up looking out all the incinerator and psycannon wounds onto my wraithguard... who proceeded to die save one guy by rolling nothing but 2s.  Guess I should've taken those on the shadowfield after all!  He charged in, survived a d-scythe overwatch, and proceeded to stay locked in combat against my archon for most of the rest of the game.
Meanwhile, his librarian's terminator squad arrived on top of the relic and took a few shots at my grotesque raider which had been making a b-line for the other dreadknight.  He only stunned the raider, but that did leave my grotesques high and dry. Especially because I wasn't about to assault a bunch of terminators with force and hammer hand up.

On my turn, the hawks and a squad of warriors arrive, and I turn every gun on the table towards his terminators, killing nearly the entire squad.  My grotesques disembark but don't charge (I wasn't sure how many I"d kill in shooting, and I didn't want to get trapped inside my raider if he assaulted it.) 

This is the turn where things kind of went south for him.  Draigo comes in from deepstrike, but ends up scattering onto my hawks.  He rolls a 1 killing Draigo and his unit and leaving him with a lone librarian, the dreadknight that was still dueling my archon, and the storm raven with its purifiers (who refused to come in from reserves). He managed to blow my grotesque raider sky high with VORTEX OF DOOOOOM, but that's about it for the turn. 

On my turn, I killed the librarian.  The rest of the game went pretty fast.  His dreadknight finally got through my shadowfield. My grotesques charged into the dreadknight fight (the lone wraith guard was still tying him up), and tore him apart.  His storm raven finally arrived and dashed for the center of the table, but I managed to bring it down with some lucky dark reaper shots.  It crashed onto my warp spiders who all passed their armor saves. The purifiers were less lucky and all died in the crash, finishing the match in a very flashy if disheartening display

So max points for me again, but I feel bad for my opponent. Rough game. :(

ROUND 3: KILL POINTS

This game was against an amazingly-converted army using war convocation rules and ork models.  I believe it was called the Waaaaagh! Convocation or some such thing.  This game was pretty straight-forward.  The deployment was vanguard strike, and he put me in the corner with no line of sight blocking terrain.  My meager first turn shooting did nothing.  He used the mechanicus power that gave his entire army stealth and shrouded, so my second turn shooting did very little as well.  My d-scythes webway portal'd in on turn two, but he made almost all of his knight's invul saves.  My grotesques chewed up a squad of rangers (with difficulty) and began working on a unit of infiltrators.  By the end of turn 3, however, he'd shot nearly my entire army off the table, assaulted the grotesques with his knight and dragoons, and left me with a single dark reaper exarch (who was wounded).  So we called it a tabling there. 

My opponent was a great guy and a blast to play against, but the game was decidedly one-sided.  I just couldn't do enough damage against an army of stealth+shrouded units that had plenty of terrain to hide behind.  It might have been a different game if my wraith guard had managed to down his knight, but ah well.

SUMMARY:

All my opponents were a ton of fun to play against, and it was fun to go up against some forces I don't see very often.  At the end of the day, I held a huge lead as the best Dark Eldar player.  Unfortunatley, my inability to play at all today means I'll be giving up my chances at getting any sort of best of faction prize. Ah well. It was a good day with fun games. I can't wait to see how the rest of the event turns out.

UPDATE:
It seems that my third round opponent went undefeated and took the gold at the GT.  So if I had to lose, at least it was to him! Curses! I totally could have gone for best of Dark Eldar if I'd been able to make day two. >.<
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:33:52 PM by Wyldhunt »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Flying Monkeys Recap!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
Nice reports--thanks!

One question: What do you mean by "breachers?" Those are Tau units, and you can't put Tau units in drop pods, so far as I'm aware. Did you mean Centurions? Devastators? Something else?

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Nice reports--thanks!

One question: What do you mean by "breachers?" Those are Tau units, and you can't put Tau units in drop pods, so far as I'm aware. Did you mean Centurions? Devastators? Something else?

I may very well have used the wrong term.  Personally, I usually call them "tank-o-taurs."  The heavy weapon mechanicus guys that are basically servitors on tank treads.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
Ah! Cataphract Battle Servitors.