News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 'accidental' BA army list  (Read 1539 times)

Offline evildrcheese

• Suffer not the witch to live.
  • Armies: Blood Angels, Sisters of Battle
The 'accidental' BA army list
« on: August 2, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
So I've been collecting Blood Angels for a while now, and whilst I love writing lists...I've mainly been running armies of BA with SOB allies, or just running BA lists with SoB things as proxy units to test the water, and I generally run lists with Vindis (SoB exorcists as proxy) and rhinos/razorbacks (again my SoB rhinos and Immolators as proxy). I even ran a DC with repentia models and my canoness as a chappy...anyway

I realised the other day that I have actually got more or less 1500 points of ‘Proper’ BA, and I wanted to share my 'proper unit' list with you, and see if we could tweak it and offer any advice on how to run it. Its quite HQ heavy (I decided to buy Tycho as I love his fluff (Havn’t ever used him in a battle yet though), and I got a termie libby when the finecast model was released)…anyway I’ll get to the list.

HQ
Librarian Termie w/ Stormshield

Tycho

Honour Guard
5 x Meltas

Elies
Priest Jump-pack
Priest Jump-pack

Troops
Assault Squad - 10 SM   
   Sarge with Power Fist
   Melta + Flamer

Assault Squad - 10 SM   
   Sarge with Power Fist
   Melta

Tactical Squad - 10 Man   
   Sergeant W/ Combi Flamer
   Flamer + Missle
   Rhino

Tactical Squad - 10 Man   
   Flamer + Bolter

1500 points on the nose, 49 models on the table.

My initial idea is to D/S the termie libby, and maybe one of the assault squads+ priest. Have the other Assault squad + priest move up with the Tac squad in the Rhino, and have Tycho, Honour Guard and the other tac squad foot slog down one of the flanks.

The list doesn't look particularly threatening, but it does have a lot of marines on the table at 1500 points (right?), and with only 2 units having to foot slog it's fairly mobile…Although I’m not used to having any foot slogging units.

Oh all the models with war gear options have magnets, so I can switch any weapons/war gear around, if anyone has any better suggestions.

It's certainly not a list I would normally run, and I know it's not going to be a particularly formidable force, but I'd like to know if people think it has any merits and how I should look at expanding my force further (2 Vindicators are next on my purchase list, and a Std Jumpack Libby)...

D

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: The 'accidental' BA army list
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
Sticking a termie libby with an assault squad will make deepstriking either illegal or horrible awkward...I'm not sure they can even DS together as they are doing by different means. If they can, the libby certainly can't scatter 1D6 since he does hot have a jump pack. If you plan to drop them separately, they may not end up close enough and the Libby will just get smushed...What powers does he have? You may be better off taking a jump pack libby, and putting the points into troop wargear.

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »

Sorry. To classify I wasn't planning on sending them together. I merely meant that both units would be arriving by DS.
The assault squad would arrive as support wherever needed. I imagine that the libby I will try and use as a vehicle killer, DSing with a view to the rear armour and Blooding lancing it. The other power would probably be unleash rage.

The Libby has a stormshield, so he's rocking 2+/3++ for saving throws, so he should be fairly resilient, don't ya reckon?

What alternatives would you recommend for Troop Wargear?

I think the biggest problem is that the honour guard don't have a transport, so those 5 meltas won't get to the heavy stuff very quickly... :( but on the other hand they might help draw fire away from the troop choices…

Although I am going to convert a Std Libby with jumppack, it really boths me that he doesn't have an invulerable save...

D

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »

Sorry. To classify I wasn't planning on sending them together. I merely meant that both units would be arriving by DS.
The assault squad would arrive as support wherever needed. I imagine that the libby I will try and use as a vehicle killer, DSing with a view to the rear armour and Blooding lancing it. The other power would probably be unleash rage.

The Libby has a stormshield, so he's rocking 2+/3++ for saving throws, so he should be fairly resilient, don't ya reckon?
A lone, 2W expensive HQ will die immediately on your opponents next turn. A round of shooting from ANY standard infantry squad's weaponry will kill him in one go. Roll 10-15 dice ten times. How many 1s on average did you just get? I really suggest a jump pack and sticking him with a proper squad.

What alternatives would you recommend for Troop Wargear?
More meltas and flamers where ever you can fit them.

I think the biggest problem is that the honour guard don't have a transport, so those 5 meltas won't get to the heavy stuff very quickly... :( but on the other hand they might help draw fire away from the troop choices…
I suggest dropping Tycho as he really has no place in this list at this points level. Dropping him would get you points for TWO rhinos giving you much more maneuverability and tactical options.

Although I am going to convert a Std Libby with jumppack, it really boths me that he doesn't have an invulerable save...
Yes, not having an invul hurts BA Libbys a lot considering how awesome their CC powers(Force weapon, Sanguine sword) and CC support powers are (unleashed rage, might of heroes). Many other HQs and ICs will have higher initiatives, more wounds, and invul saves.

Some CC weapons would be useful on the Honor guard as well. They will be a great AT unit (if/when they get there). With some PWs, they can help out in CC as well. Putting them in a rhino would be a very good idea.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 08:11:10 PM by Partninja »

Offline Evolutionary Fault

• You're never too old to play with toys!
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
Focus your Assault squads.  A pair of melta, or a pair of flamer.  as long as each squad has a melta or PF (or both) they should do OK.

Maybe a little pts pinching could net you a few razorbacks instead of rhinos?  It would net you some much needed Ranged AT...

And I have to agree with the termie Libby.  you're beter off giving him a JP or a ride in a rhino.  I know, the model's badass, but maybe you'll have to save it for a bigger game.  Then again...maybe you could give him that teleporting spell and hop around with a squad of tacticals, snatching objectives, or rapidfiring on guardsmen?  I know the 2+/3++ seems tough, but if he gets hit by three lascannons, he'll fail one throw and be totally obliterated.
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
Focus your Assault squads.  A pair of melta, or a pair of flamer.  as long as each squad has a melta or PF (or both) they should do OK.

Maybe a little pts pinching could net you a few razorbacks instead of rhinos?  It would net you some much needed Ranged AT...

And I have to agree with the termie Libby.  you're beter off giving him a JP or a ride in a rhino.  I know, the model's badass, but maybe you'll have to save it for a bigger game.  Then again...maybe you could give him that teleporting spell and hop around with a squad of tacticals, snatching objectives, or rapidfiring on guardsmen?  I know the 2+/3++ seems tough, but if he gets hit by three lascannons, he'll fail one throw and be totally obliterated.

BA libbys do get a "teleport" spell like Vanilla marines do. They get Wings of Sanguinious that lets them move as though they had a jump pack, but that wouldn't work with a tactical squad as you describe.

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »
Yeah my HQ selections definitely need reworking. Damn you past me, going for the badass/fluffy models! My next model to get made and converted with be a jumppack libby then...

Is it worth keeping the Honour guard at this level? I do already have 2 priest in the list, but I could always stick them in a razorback to make them extra shooty, or would a rhino be better (2 fire points, safe(ish) in transport)

I know this is really picky, but I can't make lists with Razorbacks work, it either means dropping special weapons in tack squads (to get the unit in), or putting assault squds in them, and having the problem of not being able to assault when you jump out.

EDIT: And no, I don't believe BA Libs get the teleport ability.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
The honorguard could stay, however they need a bit of punch. Drop a few meltas and get PWs. I would also drop Tycho at this level to get a rhino and more wargear for the tactical squad and a RB the honorguard. Double up the meltas on the assault squads and take fists in each. JP Libby would suit you better. Take unleashed rage so an assault squad can get Rerolls to hit in cc. You could drop the second tactical squad for a support unit like a dakka Baal or auto cannon las sponson predator.

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »

Just out of interest, would the Termie Libby be more viable if a tact squad had a teleport honer? No scatter, so could teleport within 2" of squad and joining squad.

Just a thought, as I do have the termie libby, and don't know when I'll get around to converting my JP libby.

D

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

Just out of interest, would the Termie Libby be more viable if a tact squad had a teleport honer? No scatter, so could teleport within 2" of squad and joining squad.

Just a thought, as I do have the termie libby, and don't know when I'll get around to converting my JP libby.

D

This would be terribly unwieldy. Not to mention, you still won't know when her will show up. You could drop down before the homer is even in position.

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:12:40 AM »
This would be terribly unwieldy. Not to mention, you still won't know when her will show up. You could drop down before the homer is even in position.

Yeah I guess that's true...My might give it a run out and see how it pans out. Otherwise I'll just continue to proxy a jp libby until I get around to converting one.

Cheers

D

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »

HQ
Librarian Termie w/ Stormshield

What does this guy do? walk around on his own? Make him a jump libby, and give him shield of sanguinus and unleash rage

Tycho

Poor tycho, ok in 3rd, bad ever since. Dont use him.

Honour Guard
5 x Meltas

You can only shoot 4 melta guns a turn, so why the 5th? Oh god, and no jump packs? drop tycho and buy these guys jump packs.

Elies
Priest Jump-pack
Priest Jump-pack

drop the pack off one of these priests and have him go with a combat squad in the rhinos. Drop the other priest out of the list.

Troops
Assault Squad - 10 SM   
   Sarge with Power Fist
   Melta + Flamer

Needs dual melta

Assault Squad - 10 SM   
   Sarge with Power Fist
   Melta

That extra melta from the honor guard you will never use? put it here

Tactical Squad - 10 Man   
   Sergeant W/ Combi Flamer
   Flamer + Missle
   Rhino

Id go with melta+combi melta here

Tactical Squad - 10 Man   
   Flamer + Bolter
dont you get a free missile launcher with a 10 man tac squad? Also, for foot tacs drop that flamer for plasma.

basically you roll up in 2 ways. The 2 tac squads with one priest try and take the middle ground, and the 2 assault marine squads, libby, and honor guard make up your assault force. I would use the extra points on a rhino for the foot tacs, and then give them the same load out as the first, melta, combi melta, missile. Your mobility and furious charging assault marines should handle any hordes you might face.  You might also consider giving your priest a power weapon. Even if hes on foot, thats a WS5 sergeant and he can help chase things away from tacs, who are otherwise terribad in combat.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:02:49 PM by Eidolon »

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »

Honour Guard
5 x Meltas
You can only shoot 4 melta guns a turn, so why the 5th? Oh god, and no jump packs? drop tycho and buy these guys jump packs.

Why can only 4 meltas be shot in a turn?

D

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »

Honour Guard
5 x Meltas

Why can only 4 meltas be shot in a turn?

D

Technically you can only take 4. The noviate is not labeled as an honor guard and can't take any of the special wargear.