News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How is my new 2k list?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
How is my new 2k list?
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
I have made a few armylists and I think I like this one best but of course would like your opinions!  tear it apart!

HQ:  Swarm Lord

Elite #1:  Hive Guard x2

Elite #2:  Zoanthroapes x2

Fast #1:  Gargoyles x10, Toxin Sacs

Fast #2:  Gargoyles x10, Toxin Sacs

Fast #3:  Shrikes x3, Barb Strangler x1, Death Spitters x2

Heavy:  Trygon Prime, Adrenal Glands

Troops #1:  Hormagaunts x22, Toxin Sacs

Troops #2:  Hormagaunts x22, Toxin Sacs

Troops #3:  Termagaunts x26, Strangle Webs x2

Troops #4:  Tervigon, Scything Talons, Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst

Troops #5:  Genestealers x10

Troops #6:  Genestealers x10

Total:  1997 pts

I will of course be playing against quite a bit of MEq armies as well as Plague Marines so thats the reason for choosing Toxin Sacs over Adrenal Glands where appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2010, 01:19:59 PM by Master Titan BT »

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Crafty

Re: How is my new 2k list?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:52:22 AM »
Nice list, I like it. It has a nice balance of shooty and melee units.
Here are my suggestions:

You probably need more shrikes. 3 of them will get killed easily, leaving your gargoyles without synapse. I would boost their numbers to at least 5.

I'm not a big fan of the swarm lord. I think it will be hard to get him into close combat. I would take a hive tyrant with wings instead. That way you have the option to run him with your gargoyles, using the shrikes as cover. The increased speed will also help you to provide support for your other units.

You also might want to add two more zoanthropes. I think two at 2000 pts are not enough to kill all those tanks you see at that point level.

Offline Shinto Ryu

• Masakatsu Agatsu!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
I like this list also, I made one very similar to this one. Only real difference is I don't take a Tervigon.

What I did was get a couple of Sky-slasher swarms to give the Gargoyles some cover. What Crafty said makes sense, but the gargoyles should be able to provide a cover screen. Only worry is s8 ap3 (or worse) pies. Also Dsing your Trygon Prime should be able to receive some units with extra synapse.
But about the Swarmlord I agree, the cover I give him is 3 warriors, so what is your plan to protect him to get to your enemy? You have some units who can give him that cover but I am curious what your tactic is.

You are a lot more shooty with your winged units, what is your tactic with that?
Military conquest is a matter of coordination, not of masses.
                                                                                             - Sun Tzu -

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
You probably need more shrikes. 3 of them will get killed easily, leaving your gargoyles without synapse. I would boost their numbers to at least 5.

Agreed and I would certainly like more Shrikes.  They will advance behind the Gargoyles improving their saves with a cover save and they will soften up enemy infantry for the Gargoyles.  At this point the Shrikes primary objective is to provide mobile Synapse to the Gargoyles until the Trygon Prime comes into play and may then utilize the Primes Synapse.  More or less an anti-infantry outflanking setup.  I suppose, at least until if I decide to purchase some Forge World Warrior Wings, that I only have 3 wings from the Chaos Chosen sprue to utilize on my Shrikes.

I'm not a big fan of the swarm lord. I think it will be hard to get him into close combat. I would take a hive tyrant with wings instead. That way you have the option to run him with your gargoyles, using the shrikes as cover. The increased speed will also help you to provide support for your other units.

I am not a fan of the Swarm Lords cost, other than that and his lack of mobility/delivery he is pretty damn awesome.  I could give him 2 Tyrant Guard but then thats another expense to an already expensive model.  The good thing is that I have magnetized my HT for the Boneswords so that I can play it as the SL or as a HT.  A Tyrant with Wings is a viable option and will certainly be considered.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »
That way you have the option to run him with your gargoyles, using the shrikes as cover.

I'm sorry, you are bending the rules so far saying a MC gets a cover save from shrikes.

If your trying to argue wings block line of sight I have a demn prince with wings I will play.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
That way you have the option to run him with your gargoyles, using the shrikes as cover.

I'm sorry, you are bending the rules so far saying a MC gets a cover save from shrikes.

If your trying to argue wings block line of sight I have a demn prince with wings I will play.

Ummm, the Shrikes will be getting a cover save from the Gargoyles.  You misread.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »

If your trying to argue wings block line of sight I have a demon prince with wings I will play.

Ummm, the Shrikes will be getting a cover save from the Gargoyles.  You misread.

I stand corrected. Sorry
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.